Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi State Athletic Director

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    OM got 20 players out of the portal for this year. Lane and staff have molded them into a team and it doesn't seem to have taken them long to learn the offence on that side of the ball.
    Yeah, that really surprises me that they were able to pull it off.

vCash
    They have great backs and a good run blocking o line. Passing game is just ok and the defense is really bad. I think Arkansas gashes them and beats them pretty bad. I think Sanders ran for 170 their last game and KJ had about 300 combined yards.

If Jimbo wasnt inebriated I think a and m beats them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    They have great backs and a good run blocking o line. Passing game is just ok and the defense is really bad. I think Arkansas gashes them and beats them pretty bad. I think Sanders ran for 170 their last game and KJ had about 300 combined yards.

If Jimbo wasnt inebriated I think a and m beats them
    Wait, what, are you serious?

vCash
    OM got 20 players out of the portal for this year. Lane and staff have molded them into a team and it doesn't seem to have taken them long to learn the offence on that side of the ball.
    Having an easy schedule helps with that. Some their best players are the ones either inherited or recruited like Mingo and Watkins.

Doing that year in and year out I'm not sold that it's going to work out any better than when we had about that many JUCO's. Sure we might get a 1999 but we also might get a 2001 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Wait, what, are you serious?
    No but I don’t think his brain is firing on all cylinders.

vCash
    No but I don’t think his brain is firing on all cylinders.
    LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Having an easy schedule helps with that. Some their best players are the ones either inherited or recruited like Mingo and Watkins.

Doing that year in and year out I'm not sold that it's going to work out any better than when we had about that many JUCO's. Sure we might get a 1999 but we also might get a 2001 season.
    Yeah, I remember an article from the old paper "Dawg's Bite" during that season we brought in about 20 JC players, (partly due to the fact no HS players would sign with us due to the NCAA/OM investigation and probable probation). One of the JC starting DB's was quoted that he knew we were in trouble when he looked around the locker room and didn't know any of his teammates names. The next year only 2 of those guys were still starting, a DB from Batesville and a DT. That was a disaster and Jackie deserved better. We also had more over the hill ex-HC's as assistants than anyone in the nation, same deal has getting HS players. Tough time. We had 12 season tickets and by end of those seasons, on one would go but my late Superdawg Dad, my oldest sister, and me. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 10-30-2022 at 08:32 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, I remember an article from the old paper "Dawg's Bite" during that season we brought in about 20 JC players, (partly due to the fact no HS players would sign with us due to the NCAA/OM investigation and probable probation). One of the JC starting DB's was quoted that he knew we were in trouble when he looked around the locker room and didn't know any of his teammates names. The next year only 2 of those guys were still starting, a DB from Batesville and a DT. That was a disaster and Jackie deserved better. We also had more over the hill ex-HC's as assistants than anyone in the nation, same deal has getting HS players. Tough time. We had 12 season tickets and by end of those seasons, on one would go but my late Superdawg Dad, my oldest sister, and me. Hail State!
    Here's what would worry me if I was an Ole Miss fan. Kiffin has a history of taking recruits and players with him to his next stop. If that happens and they don't have a good core group of players that they recruited form high school- they could be in for a major rebuild.

vCash
    Here's what would worry me if I was an Ole Miss fan. Kiffin has a history of taking recruits and players with him to his next stop. If that happens and they don't have a good core group of players that they recruited form high school- they could be in for a major rebuild.
    Our luck, Kiffen takes them with him. We fire leach, lose our recruits, make a lesser hire than them and instead of capitalizing, we miss our chance to take the step forward again.

Having a total rebuild when they hired kiffen has put us firmly behind them at this point. Won't know how far until the season finishes but no doubt they are ahead with recruiting, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Our luck, Kiffen takes them with him. We fire leach, lose our recruits, make a lesser hire than them and instead of capitalizing, we miss our chance to take the step forward again.

Having a total rebuild when they hired kiffen has put us firmly behind them at this point. Won't know how far until the season finishes but no doubt they are ahead with recruiting, etc.
    A rebuild ain’t what it used to be and people got to quit thinking it is. You can literally open the checkbook and rebuild in an off season with the portal now. (Not saying we would, just saying it can be done)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post

That's why if we're smart we'll keep Leach for now at least. We didn't fire Dan for losing to 9-10 win Ole Miss teams in 2014-2015 so I don't think we should now if the same thing happens again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    A rebuild ain’t what it used to be and people got to quit thinking it is. You can literally open the checkbook and rebuild in an off season with the portal now. (Not saying we would, just saying it can be done)
    It "can be done" but there are a lot of moving parts. We should hire another Air Raid OC at the very least to fit personnel so we avoid a 2019 situation.

We have to consider what it would do to recruiting. That's still the primary place most people build their team from.

In our case unless Leach just tanks we're better off just staying with him for now. We can't keep firing coaches because they lose to Kentucky in Lexington.

vCash
    It "can be done" but there are a lot of moving parts. We should hire another Air Raid OC at the very least to fit personnel so we avoid a 2019 situation.

We have to consider what it would do to recruiting. That's still the primary place most people build their team from.

In our case unless Leach just tanks we're better off just staying with him for now. We can't keep firing coaches because they lose to Kentucky in Lexington.
    Right now we're waiting on this Cohen move to be resolved. So many tangents can occur from this.

vCash

Oh I don’t know, you know historically we can’t just settle for 7-5, that was Dans average 7.1 and 4-9, but it’s just not acceptable.

Think what Billy Napier could be doing , with our financial resources, I’d say he’d have us at least 4-8 every year with 3-9 once in a while. The way he uses Richardson at Florida is just incredible, he’d pack stadiums.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Right now we're waiting on this Cohen move to be resolved. So many tangents can occur from this.
    Absolutely. And I highly suspect if anything it will buy all of our coaches at least one season if he leaves. Good or bad.

vCash
    Oh I don’t know, you know historically we can’t just settle for 7-5, that was Dans average 7.1 and 4-9, but it’s just not acceptable.

Think what Billy Napier could be doing , with our financial resources, I’d say he’d have us at least 4-8 every year with 3-9 once in a while. The way he uses Richardson at Florida is just incredible, he’d pack stadiums.
    I won't judge him on one year which is his first season. He's actually following what he did at ULL. 7-7 his first year there. We'll see if they make a huge jump next year.

I think most of our fans were interested in him because he runs what Dan did or something similar but can recruit better.

vCash
    I'm telling you, if Leach loses this week and doesn't beat anyone but ETSU, he's gone. His AD is gone and the fans would turn over on him in a big way. He's got to at least split those two games or it's over for him.
    I do believe we'll win this week.

vCash
    I won't judge him on one year which is his first season. He's actually following what he did at ULL. 7-7 his first year there. We'll see if they make a huge jump next year.

I think most of our fans were interested in him because he runs what Dan did or something similar but can recruit better.
    I think he will be fine if the boosters give him some breathing room. I'm just not sure they will. They keep getting a taste of success with each of their last few coaches before promtly tiring of them, so I don't think they will accept anything but Urban II at this point. The one thing I think he has over Dan is he is not to the point that he's not willing to grovel. That weird ass letter he wrote was I think a bad idea, but between being an arrogant ass hole that is annoyed with boosters or being overly deferential to them, the latter is probably better at Florida as long as he doesn't let it infect how he actually handles the team. So that may buy him enough time to get rolling. I still think they're going to fire him because rolling is probably going to be 9-10 wins a year now that UT, UGA, and LSU have pulses and UK is not a push over. But it may keep him from getting fired at the end of next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm telling you, if Leach loses this week and doesn't beat anyone but ETSU, he's gone. His AD is gone and the fans would turn over on him in a big way. He's got to at least split those two games or it's over for him.
    I do believe we'll win this week.
    If Leach goes 1-3, I could see him leaving rather than dealing with the shit coming his way. I don't think a new AD comes in and immediately fires him unless he has a coach in mind that he feels good about. Letting Leach have one more year basically extends the AD's potential termination date by another year if he makes a bad hire.

ETA: I'm expecting to go 2-2 with wins v. auburn and ETSU. If we look competitive against UGA and UM, that will be plenty to keep him safe and secure, even if fans bitch about the egg bowl loss.

vCash
    Who is Bracky Brett?