Thread: SEC Fanbase experiences

vCash

SEC Fanbase experiences

Looking forward to potentially talking to some arkansas fans saturday in davis wade.

What are some of you guy's favorite SEC fanbases and or experiences with them. or hell, what is some horror stories.

I have 2 fanbases that ive had excellent conversations and times with

1. Auburn. I went to the MSU - Auburn game in 2015 when we won with Dak there and I had a great time sitting around and chatting it up with auburn fans there. Jordan Hare is one of the most underrated environments in the SEC and has some great fans that pack that stadium up.

2. Kentucky , When they came to starkville in 2019 , I met a lot of really nice kentucky people.

Worst

LSU. The worst experience ever was not even an MSU game.

I went to the Auburn-LSU game in baton rogue in 2015 when leonard fournette scored maybe 10 touchdowns on auburn and I was with my Auburn grad buddy and he got a brick thrown through his car window.

vCash
    “If I were a State fan I’d be wearing that hat backwards, too.”

Walking into Jordan-Hare just before we beat them 20-0.

I noticed That tailgate was empty when I was walking out.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Best experience is at Auburn every single year. Great fans. A&M fans were also very nice. Worst is Tennessee followed by Arkansas. Ole Miss is in a league of their own but that just goes without saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Looking forward to potentially talking to some arkansas fans saturday in davis wade.

What are some of you guy's favorite SEC fanbases and or experiences with them. or hell, what is some horror stories.

I have 2 fanbases that ive had excellent conversations and times with

1. Auburn. I went to the MSU - Auburn game in 2015 when we won with Dak there and I had a great time sitting around and chatting it up with auburn fans there. Jordan Hare is one of the most underrated environments in the SEC and has some great fans that pack that stadium up.

2. Kentucky , When they came to starkville in 2019 , I met a lot of really nice kentucky people.

Worst

LSU. The worst experience ever was not even an MSU game.

I went to the Auburn-LSU game in baton rogue in 2015 when leonard fournette scored maybe 10 touchdowns on auburn and I was with my Auburn grad buddy and he got a brick thrown through his car window.
    Concur Auburn has the best visiting fans. Also TAMU has great fans, although weird. In fact I've had good luck with fans from all schools.

vCash
    I've always had a good experience at Auburn. I've seen us lose and win there too.

Going to Alabama was good. In 99, I had a few guys that were a little extra. In 97, I had a Gump get upset that I had a 50 yard line seat. But he got over it. However other years they were cordial. However the worst Fans are the Mississippi Bama fans that want to be smartasses after the game. they have to get in a zinger while they are emptying my waste basket at work.

LSU, I've only been twice and both times was good. I got tiger baited a few times but ...meh. I had a drunk near me this year but... he chilled later.

OM... nobody has really bothered me. Much like Miss Bama fans, OM fans are more annoying around town after the game. Actually only time I've really had a confrontation with them at a game was during 2017 in Starkville.

Arkansas in Little Rock.... the worst. They talk shit, rude, throw things at the MSU band. Just the most ridiculous bunch of rednecks I've ever encountered. Arkansas in Fayetteville was a better experience. I've seen us play in Little Rock 3-4 times. Fayetteville twice.

vCash
    Riding up the Tennessee river in a chartered boat full of MSU fans to the game and docking next to that bbq place next to the stadium was much fun. You gotta do that.

That was 15 years ago but I was there in ‘86 when we beat them too after they had won the SEC in ‘85 and it was fun walking out of the stadium wit those UT fans that day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Riding up the Tennessee river in a chartered boat full of MSU fans to the game and docking next to that bbq place next to the stadium was much fun. You gotta do that.

That was 15 years ago but I was there in ‘86 when we beat them too after they had won the SEC in ‘85 and it was fun walking out of the stadium wit those UT fans that day.
    "And no one is gonna catch Don Smith"

vCash
    South Carolina fans were always great to be around. I never had any problems with Bama fans, the ones who went there, in our stadium.

vCash
    In general, no matter who the fanbase is the most obnoxious ones are the sidewalk alums who work at the 5 minute oil change place in whatever state the team is. The fans that are alums and actually have a degree are typically OK to be around. As long as you aren't an ass ringing cowbells in their fans faces or something like that.

Except for Ole Miss. Their alumni are obnoxious and suck like the sidewalk fans at most schools. Guess that makes them the worst fans then. I've been to every SEC stadium to watch MSU play at least once.

1. Ole Miss- I'm 2-0 against them and plan to keep it that way. I might go to an Egg Bowl in Oxford if we're 11-0 and they're 0-11. Even then I'll probably be nervous. Their fans are a weird mix of elitist lawyers and doctors and sidewalk fans who are rednecks that love the Confederate flag and like to pretend like they're stuck up while the real Ole Miss alumni want nothing to do with them.

2. Alabama- They weren't too bad in the 1990's besides the fact that they were completely delusional and talked about The Bear at least as much as Croom did when he was our coach. More recently it has gotten worse because with their newfound success they have created a situation where more sidewalk fans go to their games which makes going to their games worse than it was before. Great place to buy Bear Bryant coaster and tea service set or artwork of great Bama moments.

3. Auburn- They're OK except when they tried to pretend like they didn't pay Cam Newton. I haven't forgotten that they tried to get cowbells banned too because Shug Jordan was a bitch. I kind of found them condescending a little bit because you can kind of tell that they think they are better and are just trying to make good conversation. They're kind of douchey for an ag school.

4. LSU- I've been to LSU the most times on the road. I was there in 2014 and Leach's first game in 2020. There is nothing better than beating them at Death Valley. I was also there in 1998 and had the horror experience of getting flipped off and mooned by a bunch of drunk Cajuns. Beer cans being thrown and etc. It was more of a "what the hell is wrong with you people?" kind of a deal. What was also noticeable at that time was the extreme lack of security. I think that changed around 2003 after they busted out a bunch of windows in Tennessee's bus. Haven't had a problem at all since 1998 other than some people yelling Tiger Bait at me. Better security and their sidewalk fans being priced out by ticket prices have made it a better experience.

5. Arkansas- Not bad in Fayetteville. Really bad in Little Rock. Which makes them pretty weird. They peed on our band bus in 1999 in Little Rock. Their fans are maybe the most annoying in the SEC and hate Mississippi.

6. Texas A&M- Overly friendly to the point where it's weird. One of their ROTC members in the whole garb including the sword and the riding boots actually ran up to me as I was leaving a game there and scared the crap out of me to tell me good game after MSU won. I mean- I didn't know the guy or sit anywhere close to him. Just pretty weird. Rode a shuttle bus back to my parking lot with no other MSU fans and had no problem.

7. Tennessee- I've heard they can be bad if you live in Memphis but no issues when I went to Knoxville. Watched their Vol Walk which is no different than any other teams walk in.

8. Vanderbilt- Completely arrogant. But the women are pretty hot.

9. Florida- They're douchebags and the worst fans in the SEC East. I remember after we beat them in 2010 they booed the crap out of Urban Meyer while he was riding his golf cart to do his press conference. A year after they won the National Title.

10. Georgia- They're about the same as Tennessee fans to me. Really cool college town. No problems here.

11. Kentucky- They aren't that bad but they aren't very likeable either.

12. South Carolina- Saw us play them in 1998 when Prentiss returned the kickoff for a TD and then half of the stands filed out and left. They had the state fair going on outside the stadium though so they had something to do.

13. Mizzou- You don't even feel like you are watching a SEC game when you're there. Their fans have no idea what to do during a football game. And even they don't know why they're in the SEC and not the Big 10. They're too confused for you to have any problems with them.

Bonus round!

14. USM- Their fans all pull for some combination of MSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, or LSU. I've heard stories from back in the day when they could beat us regularly but when I went to Hattiesburg I had no problems.

15. Tulane- They're a less arrogant version of Vanderbilt. Much cooler tailgating scene too.

16. Memphis- Massive inferiority complex. I don't think I've ever seen fans meltdown in the stands like they did when we beat them. I remember one of their fans just flipping off every MSU fan at the Liberty Bowl in 2011 while we were beating them 59-14. But after we lost they were talking a lot of smack. Beating them this year was sweet. I've had more problems with their fans than I have at most SEC venues.

vCash
    TX A&M fans are nice if you visit. The teams from the Big12 are just a lot more cordial than in the deep SEC country. Maybe they all actually have a life beyond Saturday, but whatever it is, it is more enjoyable being a visitor at games at Aggies or even at TX for the most part.

vCash
    Most Upig fans are actually o.k., once you get past the WPS chants.........

I will say this about Upig fans though......

They are the only fanbase in the SEC that goes to the games for the concessions.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Ole Miss - 1 whiskey bottle ducking experience was enough for me. Never going back. That place can rot in hell.

Florida - Just a weird place all around. Weird people. Weird tailgating set up or lack there of. Maybe it was just because Urban was starting to wain and we won.

UGA - Athens has just gotten too crowded for me on game weekends. The people are generally nice - unless your team is threatening to win. Then they get ugly. Will fight a GT fan just because they are there. The concession/bathroom/concourse situation there makes DWS look plush and well cared for. If you ever went to the real Yankee Stadium, and experienced the odd stench of stale beer, piss, rats, and fried food you have an idea. Then confine that stench in a 15 food wide concourse with half the stadium crammed into it on a hot September afternoon. And they top our stinky cups with poo tainted ice. Upside - lots of talent and great bars.

The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party - Jacksonville is ass. But, if you can go down early, play in a drunken golf tournament on Friday with a great crew of friends; arrive at the tailgate spot at 8:00am with lots of food and alcohol; watch the school buses deliver the Gainesville sorority girls in jorts and barely tops (despite a very cold wind blowing off the St. John's River); hit the edibles about 12:30 to get in gear; have great seats that are either a) in the sun if it's cold, or b) in the shade if its hot; and then leave to head back for the condo halfway thru the 4th because the game is out of hand and you can beat the terrible Jax traffic and make a late dinner on St. Simons; you can have a great weekend regardless of being swarmed by UGA AND UF fans.

Auburn - I haven't been since '91, but I went to a lot of games there as a kid. I always enjoyed it and the people - but I was almost always there with family and friends who were students and alums. And I have to admit to having rolled Toomer's Corner after watching Bo Jackson, Lionel James, and Tommie Agee run all over USM. Outside of the Cam thing, I've always felt a certain kinship with AU.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Most Upig fans are actually o.k., once you get past the WPS chants.........

I will say this about Upig fans though......

They are the only fanbase in the SEC that goes to the games for the concessions.
    There social media fans are worse than their fans that show up to games..

Ive had to block many arkansas fans on twitter because of how bad it is but im not the only one

Arkansas fans are always going at State, Ole Miss, and Tennessee fans on twitter.

The funniest is seeing them and Tennessee fans go at each other on twitter.

LSU's traveling fans are much worse than social media fans, their social media fans are pretty funny.

I live in South Mississippi so LSU is my 2nd most hated team after Ole Miss. Mostly because approximately 2% of the fanbase here has actually went to LSU and around that same percentage has actually had a family member attend the school.

Atleast 50% of them have never even been to tiger stadium.

South Mississippi LSU fans are the equivalent of East Mississippi Bama fans.

vCash
    Y'all really should NOT let OM fans run y'all off. It was fun in 2018 when we beat the brakes off them. To bad only a few thousand State fans were there to witness it in person. We could have taken over that stadium that year. They had quit and there was empty seats everywhere.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 10-06-2022 at 09:25 AM.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Best experience is at Auburn every single year. Great fans. A&M fans were also very nice. Worst is Tennessee followed by Arkansas. Ole Miss is in a league of their own but that just goes without saying.
    Did you go to an Arkansas game in Fayetteville or Little Rock? The experiences are night and day.

Fayetteville was one of the better away game experiences I have ever had.

vCash
    Different perspective experienced as a marching band member at several destinations -

OM - predictably horrible, never going to Oxford again after my two mandatory years. It was necessary for the women to line up on the inside of the formation marching into the stadium. Trash including a few open bottles of dip spit were thrown into our block. Constant verbal harassment anytime we were near a sizeable group of their people.

Alabama and LSU were mixed. Many of the sidewalk fans jeered or flipped us off, but I encountered more good ones than I expected too.

Arkansas at Little Rock - can't recall any specific interactions, but the whole experience just felt weird and hostile. Probably had a lot to do with the venue.

Georgia - largely respectful if not particularly friendly.

Auburn - surprisingly great experience, as much as I hate to say it. Most of their fans I encountered went out of their ways to be friendly.

vCash
    Not their fans, but about 20 years ago on a very cold night in Oxford, I was pulled out of line by game security and made to remove my coat as he was certain that I was hiding a cowbell. Actually patted me down as I protested in vain. Have only been back one time since when invited by an OM friend, but don't plan any return trips. bama joke: What do bama fans and a maggot have in common? They can both live off a dead bear 20 years. Sorry, Tusk!** I live on the NE MS/Al state line. The MS residents with with about a dozen bama stickers on their vehicles (and have probably never been to Tuscaloosa), are much worse than their fans who live in AL. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Not their fans, but about 20 years ago on a very cold night in Oxford, I was pulled out of line by game security and made to remove my coat as he was certain that I was hiding a cowbell. Actually patted me down as I protested in vain. Have only been back one time since when invited by an OM friend, but don't plan any return trips. bama joke: What do bama fans and a maggot have in common? They can both live off a dead bear 20 years. Sorry, Tusk!** I live on the NE MS/Al state line. The MS residents with with about a dozen bama stickers on their vehicles (and have probably never been to Tuscaloosa), are much worse than their fans who live in AL. Hail State!
    You must be talking about the LSU fans along the lower Pearl who can't even put 2 sentences together.

vCash
    I do have to say the kids that come from Texas or other states are quite normal and enjoyable to be around. For some reason the kids from out of state that attend om don’t have any of the “attitude” that most of the in state kids that go to that school seem to have. Can’t really explain it but it’s definitely noticeable....JMO.
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 10-07-2022 at 10:01 PM.