Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittman on how they will play defense

vCash

Pittman on how they will play defense

This may be all smoke and mirrors but:

He's on year three of playing now. You can see it. The thing is you have to disguise in the secondary, because if you don't and he knows what you're doing no matter if it's man or quarters or double cloud or whatever it may be. He can exploit you. He's really good and they've got receivers that can play as well. There will have to be a decision made on third down if we want to go after him or not. You can't just let him sit back there. If we decide to go after him with four, we have to get there. If we decide to go after him with three, we've got to get there.
    It sounded like to me, rush 3 and drop 8 is what they are going to do.

The explosive plays, we have to limit them. We have to be comfortable with keeping them in front of us. I'm hoping we can get a pass break up or get a guy on the ground.

That means we may run it 30 times if they don't come out of it

vCash
    In SEC play, you gotta take what the D gives.

vCash
    A delayed Draw will take care of the 3-8 defense.

vCash
    WR Sam MBake has switched to CB due to lack of depth in the defensive backfield.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    WR Sam MBake has switched to CB due to lack of depth in the defensive backfield.
    No reason why we shouldn't torch their secondary. They are really hurting.

vCash
    Odom likes to blitz but he doesn't have the back end to do it.
    He'll pick his spots. He didn't slow us down much last year and their defense was much better and our offense worse.
    I'm feeling pretty good about this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Odom likes to blitz but he doesn't have the back end to do it.
    He'll pick his spots. He didn't slow us down much last year and their defense was much better and our offense worse.
    I'm feeling pretty good about this one.
    Me too.

But I think we see some more on the ground. Bama put 300 yards rushing on them. Odom going 3-8 with the occasional blitz. They give us the 3-2 box we're running it.

vCash
    We need to take the top off by hitting a few deep throws. Will has to find the opportunity to make deep throws when our guys are one on one. He typically would rather check it down than take that chance. Just believe in your guy and air it out a few times early. We hit 2 or 3 of those and their defensive game plan goes out the window and they're scrambling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    We need to take the top off by hitting a few deep throws. Will has to find the opportunity to make deep throws when our guys are one on one. He typically would rather check it down than take that chance. Just believe in your guy and air it out a few times early. We hit 2 or 3 of those and their defensive game plan goes out the window and they're scrambling.
    You sure about that? I thought the consensus was he's pretty automatic at this point at recognizing man coverage without help and punishing it, or at least attempting to.

vCash
    I have a good feeling about this game because of the matchup. It’s really important we win this one to keep any Florida bowl game hopes alive. Sitting at 5-1 going into Lexington would make that a really big game for both teams as they will most likely be 5-1 as well seeing they have USCe at home Saturday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I have a good feeling about this game because of the matchup. It’s really important we win this one to keep any Florida bowl game hopes alive. Sitting at 5-1 going into Lexington would make that a really big game for both teams as they will most likely be 5-1 as well seeing they have USCe at home Saturday.
    Winning two out of the three is a must. Winning at home Saturday would be BIG before going into Lexington. At that point you're playing with house money looking for a road win.

vCash
    They're going to do the same thing they did last year, 3-8 defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    They're going to do the same thing they did last year, 3-8 defense.
    they are the one's that started the 3-8 against us 2 years ago at home.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Hopefully we will do to them what we did to the Aggies if they drop 8?..Pound the rock

vCash
    Arky has had to blitz to be somewhat successful on defense this year because their secondary is so bad. If they play 3-8 that would play against their strength, which is putting pressure on the qb, if they can't get home with 3(and I don't believe they will based on our ol play). Their secondary has been horrible in coverage and they tackle poorly. Their only real option is to blitz and hope they get pressure. On paper we appear to have a huge advantage against their defense and it's a bad matchup for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Hopefully we will do to them what we did to the Aggies if they drop 8?..Pound the rock
    Yep, and that's why Will was able to hit Rara for that 75 yarder. It was a two back set. A&M walked the safeties up to help stop the run. Will saw man coverage and BOOM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Arky has had to blitz to be somewhat successful on defense this year because their secondary is so bad. If they play 3-8 that would play against their strength, which is putting pressure on the qb, if they can't get home with 3(and I don't believe they will based on our ol play). Their secondary has been horrible in coverage and they tackle poorly. Their only real option is to blitz and hope they get pressure. On paper we appear to have a huge advantage against their defense and it's a bad matchup for them.
    And unlike the previous 2 years with Arkansas having all upperclassmen against our freshmen and sophomores - I think this game we break several tackles if they try to drop 8. To win, we need lots of YAC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    And unlike the previous 2 years with Arkansas having all upperclassmen against our freshmen and sophomores - I think this game we break several tackles if they try to drop 8. To win, we need lots of YAC.
    YAC has been a huge problem with Arkansas' secondary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    You sure about that? I thought the consensus was he's pretty automatic at this point at recognizing man coverage without help and punishing it, or at least attempting to.
    I'm postitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    This is a great point. 2 play that 3-8 all game long requires a lot of discipline and each player managing his assignment correctly. Inexperienced players can lack the patience and discipline to play that "boring" defense for most of the game. To this point of the season arky tackling has been horrendous and we like YAC, and I just feel like we have a big edge in this matchup. We don't turn the ball over we win comfortably.