Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One final note on the MSU-TAMU Series (media folks please read)

vCash

One final note on the MSU-TAMU Series (media folks please read)

Reminder: MSU leads series 9-7 (6-5) since Aggies came to SEC.

But almost any conversation outside the state of Mississippi you could just exchange Vandy for MSU and UGa for TAMU and the conversation would be word for word***(***on the asterisks)

When one school has beaten the other 6 out of the last 9 times they've played, lines suggesting the 3-6 team "tripped up" or that the 6-3 team "stole one" (calling out Phil Steele on that one) are really, really beginning to make those from whom those headlines, thoughts, and talking points come from look unintelligent or even foolish. Let me say it again. If you are a person in the media that says things like that about the series....yes, you look like an idiot that no one take seriously. I saw one person still saying A&M would go 9-3 and was the top threat to Bama if anyone else were to somehow win the West.

I am legitimately soliciting commentary here. Really from media folks. Why do you do this? Do you really think TAMU is not supposed to lose to the likes of MSU? Or have you not been paying attention for the last decade? We have a better football program than they do. Why do you think otherwise? You speak of Saturday's matchup like it was an upset. Vegas knew better. They don't always get it right, but they do a better job than those who "count stars."
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Our history screws us. And by history I mean the 50's and 60's.

We've been a consistent winner since Jackie took over really- outside of the 2000's because of probation. And then we have won consistently since Dan was our coach.

I think Leach as our coach will actually help because the media like him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Our history screws us. And by history I mean the 50's and 60's.

We've been a consistent winner since Jackie took over really- outside of the 2000's because of probation. And then we have won consistently since Dan was our coach.

I think Leach as our coach will actually help because the media like him.
    Unfortunately I think the 2000?s have a big influence on the 35-50 year old media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STATEBALLIN View Post
    Unfortunately I think the 2000?s have a big influence on the 35-50 year old media.
    It' was only like 6 years of bad football though. Odd how those 6 years shape the opinion of today's media.

Even SEC shorts yesterday threw a dig at MSU about possibly being a miracle to beat A&M. Even they aren't educated on it
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Reminder: MSU leads series 9-7 (6-5) since Aggies came to SEC.

But almost any conversation outside the state of Mississippi you could just exchange Vandy for MSU and UGa for TAMU and the conversation would be word for word***(***on the asterisks)

When one school has beaten the other 6 out of the last 9 times they've played, lines suggesting the 3-6 team "tripped up" or that the 6-3 team "stole one" (calling out Phil Steele on that one) are really, really beginning to make those from whom those headlines, thoughts, and talking points come from look unintelligent or even foolish. Let me say it again. If you are a person in the media that says things like that about the series....yes, you look like an idiot that no one take seriously. I saw one person still saying A&M would go 9-3 and was the top threat to Bama if anyone else were to somehow win the West.

I am legitimately soliciting commentary here. Really from media folks. Why do you do this? Do you really think TAMU is not supposed to lose to the likes of MSU? Or have you not been paying attention for the last decade? We have a better football program than they do. Why do you think otherwise? You speak of Saturday's matchup like it was an upset. Vegas knew better. They don't always get it right, but they do a better job than those who "count stars."
    They did all but say it was an upset when we were the favorites! That should piss everybody off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It' was only like 6 years of bad football though. Odd how those 6 years shape the opinion of today's media.

Even SEC shorts yesterday threw a dig at MSU about possibly being a miracle to beat A&M. Even they aren't educated on it
    It was essentially the whole decade. We went to one bowl game from 2001-2009. And it was a Liberty Bowl that no one outside our own fan base remembers. A lot of 3-8?s and 3-9?s and years where we just got destroyed by other teams in our division. Not to mention the bad OOC losses.

I do think some unfairly still see State as the Vandy of the West when that hasn?t really been the case for a long time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    It was essentially the whole decade. We went to one bowl game from 2001-2009. And it was a Liberty Bowl that no one outside our own fan base remembers. A lot of 3-8?s and 3-9?s and years where we just got destroyed by other teams in our division. Not to mention the bad OOC losses.

I do think some unfairly still see State as the Vandy of the West when that hasn?t really been the case for a long time.
    I think a big part of it is that despite the improvement and the bowls, we have rarely finished the season as a ranked team. Jackie's teams only finished ranked 4 times - even though 9 teams were ranked at some point in the season. Mullen's teams finished ranked 3 times during 6 seasons of being ranked. Being ranked at the end of a season almost always leads to being ranked pre-season - and that pre-season buzz sets the impression in the media for how your season should progress.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

Croom set our football program back 20 years. It was a horrible, catastrophic hire. Hiring Jimbo and getting two years probation would have been much better. Even after Mullen rebuilt the program and took us to #1 we still get zero respect from the vast majority of the sports media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think a big part of it is that despite the improvement and the bowls, we have rarely finished the season as a ranked team. Jackie's teams only finished ranked 4 times - even though 9 teams were ranked at some point in the season. Mullen's teams finished ranked 3 times during 6 seasons of being ranked. Being ranked at the end of a season almost always leads to being ranked pre-season - and that pre-season buzz sets the impression in the media for how your season should progress.
    That's another media bias. We've consistently put a top 20 product on the field with the hardest schedule in the country. That leads to the media ranking crappy G5 teams over MSU

vCash

It was almost a decade and even the decade after we were mostly just solid, not really good teams. I think fans in general would think more highly of us if we had mixed in several ten win seasons with several 4 wins seasons instead of just being consistently good but not great. Even in the one year we were legitimately a really good team, we still shit the bed at the end of the year because of losing our two safeties and our coaching staff checking out.

vCash
    I don't recall where but there was a college football fan survey this summer about the 25 most recognized brands. We were #23 in the country. I think the average fan understands we're pretty good at football, not a blue blood, but pretty good.

edit: It was actually a recruit survey but still, I think most people get it: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...1/#190591771_2
    Last edited by gtowndawg; 10-04-2022 at 09:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I don't recall where but there was a college football fan survey this summer about the 25 most recognized brands. We were #23 in the country. I think the average fan understands we're pretty good at football, not a blue blood, but pretty good.
    We are pretty good to people across the country.

This issue is elitist media from other SEC schools

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We are pretty good to people across the country.

This issue is elitist media from other SEC schools
    and ESPN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    and ESPN.
    Correct.

To people that live outside of the rich people neighborhood, we live in the rich people neighborhood & have a really nice house. It even makes Southern Living.

To people that live inside the rich people neighborhood, we made our meh money from strip clubs & drug deals while they made theirs in more "legitimate ways"

vCash

edit: It was actually a recruit survey but still, I think most people get it: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...1/#190591771_2
    Yeah I've got a lot of friends on the west coast and in the southwest and we talk about cfb a lot and they know our program well. In fact most of them think we'd win the PAC12 if we were in it. Fans of cfb know who the better teams are, because they actually watch the games(just like I know how good North Dakota State is even though they're d2). The media is the problem because they want views and clicks and little ol' State don't give them those views and clicks like the bamas and ohio states of the world. Kind of like how the Yankees and Dodgers are always the first highlights they show on mlb programs and even though the Braves are champs their highlights are never first(unless playing one of the higher profile teams).

vCash

In 2016 I was in line to see Wicked in NYC. Off duty NYPD were providing security. They saw me and a couple of the chaperones wearing State and OM gear. They knew just about as much about the SEC as we did. It was pretty eye opening. They loved watching SEC football.

vCash
    Because the media is lazy. And they have an agenda, always. If I was as consistently bad at my job as the media, I wouldn't have a job. Most are incompetent and lazy. 99% of them are stupid. It's hard to find a profession with less accountability than the media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    In 2016 I was in line to see Wicked in NYC. Off duty NYPD were providing security. They saw me and a couple of the chaperones wearing State and OM gear. They knew just about as much about the SEC as we did. It was pretty eye opening. They loved watching SEC football.
    This is so true. Around the country people watch sec football because it's so competitive and tough. Football fans love real football and outside the nfl the sec is pretty much it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Because the media is lazy. And they have an agenda, always. If I was as consistently bad at my job as the media, I wouldn't have a job. Most are incompetent and lazy. 99% of them are stupid. It's hard to find a profession with less accountability than the media.
    You made this to easy:

500 Bob for politicians.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    You made this to easy:

500 Bob for politicians.
    Good point. Politicians can do a terrible job and can keep the job for 4 years. Honestly, football coaches are in the same mix. Do a crappy job and get fired and you get paid the remainder of your contract. I prefer the world where you do a crappy job and get fired and you only get paid through the end of the 60 second discussion where you are told to box your stuff up and leave.