Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike leach wedding advice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Bunch of rookies, 46 strong years.
    That is awesome Cat!!!

vCash
    Trying to catchup with Catfish - 39.5 years and counting!!! Seems like only yesterday!

vCash
    25 years for me and the Mrs.

Our wedding was a simple country church with some friends and family. And then the reception was at the Holmes House on the Goodman campus.

The wedding pics took so long by the time we got to the reception most of my German chocolate groom's cake was devoured. Bastards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    25 years for me and the Mrs.

Our wedding was a simple country church with some friends and family. And then the reception was at the Holmes House on the Goodman campus.

The wedding pics took so long by the time we got to the reception most of my German chocolate groom's cake was devoured. Bastards.
    Congrats and pictures are the worst part of any family function(and especially if you got the brother in law who thinks he's some kind of expert photog) and I'm always caught making goofy faces when they're taken, even in some of my wedding pics!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iPat09 View Post
    I just got married last year. We're both mid 30s and it's the first marriage for each of us. All we planned was a small reception because she wanted to go to the courthouse and put the money we would have spent towards something else. I said ok, let's go!
    It's amazing to me how few people understand this. We had a "small, low key" wedding for our group and between the wedding and rehearsal dinner, probably spent $30k. That could easily have been $300k for us right now if we had used it for investments instead of a party. Granted we happened to have a really good investment opportunity not long after so it's not like that's necessarily a reasonable expectation, but most people would never spend $30k on a party in their 40's, but think nothing of doing that or more when they are getting married. It's somewhat insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It's amazing to me how few people understand this. We had a "small, low key" wedding for our group and between the wedding and rehearsal dinner, probably spent $30k. That could easily have been $300k for us right now if we had used it for investments instead of a party. Granted we happened to have a really good investment opportunity not long after so it's not like that's necessarily a reasonable expectation, but most people would never spend $30k on a party in their 40's, but think nothing of doing that or more when they are getting married. It's somewhat insane.
    Yeah, it's hard, "traditions" and such. My daughter got married in June '21. I'll hand it to her, she really did keep it smallish with only about 50 people. And living in a resort/destination where I have a lot of favors I could cash in to save on venue, catering, etc, we still dropped $10k. I offered her and her fianc? cash outright. But when your daughter says she wants to get married on the front steps of a house museum you helped restore, you kinda have to say yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yeah, it's hard, "traditions" and such. My daughter got married in June '21. I'll hand it to her, she really did keep it smallish with only about 50 people. And living in a resort/destination where I have a lot of favors I could cash in to save on venue, catering, etc, we still dropped $10k. I offered her and her fianc? cash outright. But when your daughter says she wants to get married on the front steps of a house museum you helped restore, you kinda have to say yes.
    Yea, I'm sure we'll end up doing the same thing for children when the time comes (I can't imagine we'll do as well as you did, particularly in a resort area). But I'm going to at least make them watch me do a calculation of what the money will get them in 10, 20, and 30 years.

Be interesting to know what percentage of people would trade out their wedding in hindsight in exchange for having he money invested for them. Even assuming we'd have been too scared to put any more money into the one good investment we've ever made, we'd still have around $100k right now if we had dropped that money into an S&P 500 fund instead of a wedding and rehearsal dinner. I'm pretty sure my wife would make that tradeoff in a heartbeat right now. Granted, if we had done that she might be regretting that she never had a wedding.

I can't imagine what people feel like when they drop big money on the wedding and the marriage doesn't even last.

vCash
    The first mistake we're making is 'trying to think like a woman.' I do think their wedding has been embedded in them since they were little. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it means more to them than money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    The first mistake we're making is 'trying to think like a woman.' I do think wedding has been embedded in them since they were little. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it means more to them than money.
    Yep, my wife's father walking her down the aisle was a MAJOR thing to her. There's no way she would have traded that for a justice of the peace.

vCash
    Yep, my wife's father walking her down the aisle was a MAJOR thing to her. There's no way she would have traded that for a justice of the peace.
    Exactly, and I think and hope that everyone goes into it hoping and thinking it's forever.

vCash
    Well, the actual wedding typically isn't very expensive. Especially if you're already in a good church that views marriage as a sacrament and not a potential money maker for them.

It's the rehearsal dinner and reception where people usually drop money. And what's crazy is they usually still aren't parties that people are excited for. Even wedding receptiosn I've been to that have ended up being fun, most people are still bitching about having to wear a suit or tux in hot weather right up until they get two or three drinks in.