Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Somebody Is Living Right Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- Somebody Is Living Right Edition

1. What a great day yesterday. Weather finally cooling off a little, an inch and half thick ribeye, homemade scalloped potatoes, along with grilled peppers and onions in olive oil and worchestershire. Some wine to go with it because ya know- I'm very heart conscious.

2. Really good win yesterday for Mr October. Slow start by both teams as we had a scoreless 1st- leaving many that had bet on the Under very excited only to see those hopes crushed in the 4th Q. The AirBone grinded out 16 plays on a drive just to end up punting. We ran 46-47 total plays in the 1st half. Even with the break their D got in the 3rd- we just pushed them around in the 4th.

3. Will Rogers must be an altar boy. He had a throw over the middle that a DB was about to pick and his teammate came in and batted it away before he could make the pick. It happens tho and is part of the game. Then with A&M driving in the 2nd we get Two Chains to fumble and we recover inside the 10. That fumble changed the game somewhat altho I think we would have still won it because were so much more physical. After the turnover- Rogers had what was almost assuredly a Pick-6 dropped by another DB. 3 big plays in the 2nd Q that allowed us to take control of the game.

4. Really liked how we took the shot after A&M scored to cut it to 28-17. They had some Mo on their side and were ready to come out and make a stop. We went for the glory on 1st down and grabbed it. Love that. Good throw and catch.

5. OL balled out. Played really physical. No sacks. 6 ypc. 24 runs is more of what this offense needs every week. 24/25 runs per week along with 45 passes. avg 70 plays a game. Thats a much better ratio. Dont want to leave out the way the RB's blocked for each other as well when we went with 2 backs.

6. Two Chains got his yards as he was 16/111 but his fumble in the 2nd really changed the momentum of the game. But bigger than that was him not getting called for multiple chop blocks he had in pass pro during the game. At least 3 times in the game he cut one of our players who was engaged with an OL guy. Not only is that a 15 yard penalty- but its a way to hurt guys. Officials review all the games and it wont change anything- but Leach needs to raise some hell about that so that he gets called for it moving forward. I'm sure they will see it next week vs Bama.

7. Defensively we did a very good job of getting pressure. We blitzed some and we had guys all around to confuse their protection even when we didnt blitz. A&M threw fairly successfully when we didnt pressure tho and that is concerning moving forward.

8. How about #13? Reminds me of State legend Robert Bean. Bean was probably the best we have had at blocking punts and kicks. 13 came off the edge perfectly to hammer that kick and set up the scoop and score. Another huge play at a time A&M was trying to make it a 1 score game. Instead of 14-6 it became 21-3 and essentially sealed the deal for us. Then his pick 6 was absolutely ridiculous.

9. Jimbo may get run this November but I doubt it. They play more Freshmen than anybody so that probably buys him one more chance next season. But in this day and age of college football- who knows? The Big Boys of Texas may tell Bjerk to run him and they will pay the ridiculous amount of money for him to not come to work.

10. UPig up next. Line was 3 but I'd expect it to be about 6-7 today. This is actually a good match-up for us. Their D against the pass is bad. Offensively, they are physical and want to make a few throws. Our D is physical and should match theirs pretty well. Bama held KJ to 17/38 yards and when you do that- UPig will struggle offensively. I look for Leach to get the 2nd leg of his run as Mr October Saturday

Hail State
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Good summary of what happened. 2 things A&M didn't have: A mobile QB or a top end Edge rusher. Those are the 2 things that scare me against our team.

Leach doesn't change his scheme, but he's not afraid to change kickers, shuffle the O-line, change the punt returner, change receivers. I really like that about him. The Z position was huge for us last year with Polk and now Justin Robinson gives us a weapon there. Ducking is more of a redzone threat than an every down Z.

Now it's time for Arnett to figure out a way to get Banks in the game as a nickel corner on passing downs. Too many times we have a safety lined up against a good slot WR. He's also got to figure out a way to control KJ Jefferson's running. Can't let him beat us with his legs like LSU's Daniels did.
    Last edited by HoopsDawg; 10-02-2022 at 10:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Good summary of what happened. 2 things A&M didn't have: A mobile QB or a top end Edge rusher. Those are the 2 things that scare me against our team.

Leach doesn't change his scheme, but he's not afraid to change kickers, shuffle the O-line, change the punt returner, change receivers. I really like that about him. The Z position was huge for us last year with Polk and now Justin Robinson gives us a weapon there. Ducking is more of a redzone threat than an every down Z.

Now it's time for Arnett to figure out a way to get Banks in the game as a nickel corner on passing downs. Too many times we have a safety lined up against a good slot WR. He's also got to figure out a way to control KJ Jefferson's running. Can't let him beat us with his legs like LSU's Daniels did.
    Johnson is mobile. King just looks to run more often.

vCash
    I would add the younger guys stepping in to fill the voids. JP, Russell.... etc. I saw no drop off and in fact, not sure they were not better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

Arnett admitted to Stinch in a pre-game interview that he didn't make the proper adjustments in the LSU game to help contain Daniels. We moved the ball on Odom's defense last year. I think we see the same thing Saturday. The key will be containing KJ and Rocket Sanders. KJ won't beat us with his arm. His go-to WR is gone.

BTW, good write up 34.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. What a great day yesterday. Weather finally cooling off a little, an inch and half thick ribeye, homemade scalloped potatoes, along with grilled peppers and onions in olive oil and worchestershire. Some wine to go with it because ya know- I'm very heart conscious.

2. Really good win yesterday for Mr October. Slow start by both teams as we had a scoreless 1st- leaving many that had bet on the Under very excited only to see those hopes crushed in the 4th Q. The AirBone grinded out 16 plays on a drive just to end up punting. We ran 46-47 total plays in the 1st half. Even with the break their D got in the 3rd- we just pushed them around in the 4th.

3. Will Rogers must be an altar boy. He had a throw over the middle that a DB was about to pick and his teammate came in and batted it away before he could make the pick. It happens tho and is part of the game. Then with A&M driving in the 2nd we get Two Chains to fumble and we recover inside the 10. That fumble changed the game somewhat altho I think we would have still won it because were so much more physical. After the turnover- Rogers had what was almost assuredly a Pick-6 dropped by another DB. 3 big plays in the 2nd Q that allowed us to take control of the game.

4. Really liked how we took the shot after A&M scored to cut it to 28-17. They had some Mo on their side and were ready to come out and make a stop. We went for the glory on 1st down and grabbed it. Love that. Good throw and catch.

5. OL balled out. Played really physical. No sacks. 6 ypc. 24 runs is more of what this offense needs every week. 24/25 runs per week along with 45 passes. avg 70 plays a game. Thats a much better ratio. Dont want to leave out the way the RB's blocked for each other as well when we went with 2 backs.

6. Two Chains got his yards as he was 16/111 but his fumble in the 2nd really changed the momentum of the game. But bigger than that was him not getting called for multiple chop blocks he had in pass pro during the game. At least 3 times in the game he cut one of our players who was engaged with an OL guy. Not only is that a 15 yard penalty- but its a way to hurt guys. Officials review all the games and it wont change anything- but Leach needs to raise some hell about that so that he gets called for it moving forward. I'm sure they will see it next week vs Bama.

7. Defensively we did a very good job of getting pressure. We blitzed some and we had guys all around to confuse their protection even when we didnt blitz. A&M threw fairly successfully when we didnt pressure tho and that is concerning moving forward.

8. How about #13? Reminds me of State legend Robert Bean. Bean was probably the best we have had at blocking punts and kicks. 13 came off the edge perfectly to hammer that kick and set up the scoop and score. Another huge play at a time A&M was trying to make it a 1 score game. Instead of 14-6 it became 21-3 and essentially sealed the deal for us. Then his pick 6 was absolutely ridiculous.

9. Jimbo may get run this November but I doubt it. They play more Freshmen than anybody so that probably buys him one more chance next season. But in this day and age of college football- who knows? The Big Boys of Texas may tell Bjerk to run him and they will pay the ridiculous amount of money for him to not come to work.

10. UPig up next. Line was 3 but I'd expect it to be about 6-7 today. This is actually a good match-up for us. Their D against the pass is bad. Offensively, they are physical and want to make a few throws. Our D is physical and should match theirs pretty well. Bama held KJ to 17/38 yards and when you do that- UPig will struggle offensively. I look for Leach to get the 2nd leg of his run as Mr October Saturday

Hail State
    I noticed on Saturday you posted how Dart had a solid day, but did not mention him living right. Kentucky had at least 2 pick sixes get dropped. One was Ole Miss in the red zone on the 4th down play, and Dart threw it right at a Kentucky player. He had 100 yards of green grass. Your Sunday morning recaps used to be fun to read, but you just go too far about the Air Raid, trying to call it that other name.
    That 16 play drive that stalled, was partly due to at least 2 or 3 false starts and holding calls. Yet Will kept overcoming them with big plays to keep extending that drive the best he could.
    Under Mullen , your RTGDF type of coach, any time we had a penalty to push us back, we would only make it if the QB run up the middle somehow got us to a first down.
    Last edited by Santiago; 10-02-2022 at 11:22 AM.

vCash
    Dart is a horrible QB right now. It's roughly a 50% passer against a little talent.

vCash
    It was good to see the running game do well - kudos to backs and to the O-line. I still get aggravated by our poor tackling at times, but not gonna gripe too much. Good win!

vCash

Hail State

3. With as much money as they paid for those D players, you'd think they'd make a few picks. Oh well.
    4. That was truly awesome. I expect we'll see a few more of those as our WRs gain experience in the system. It should also put to bed any question of whether or not Will can throw downfield.
    5. Marks' block for Price in the second quarter was a thing of beauty.
    6. The lack of calls against A&M was ridiculous. I'm not sure what constitutes PI any more. Their DBs were draped all over our WRs constantly with no calls, but we kept getting flagged for the same crap. And yes, the chop blocks going uncalled should get someone removed from their position - that shit's dangerous.
    9. Jimbo's in year 5 and has had one season that's 'acceptable' by their standards. The problem with A&M is the same problem Texas has - they keep recruiting these over-inflated alleged 5 stars out of Texas who are soft as shit and topped out in high school. Then the AP idiots see the stars, anoint them as the second coming, they fail to live up to the hype, run off good coaches, wash rinse and repeat. Jimbo's last class went more outside of Texas which will help the next coach until he falls into the same trap of recruiting Texas players.
    10. I like our chances against UPig. They seem to be pretty one-dimensional and I think we can scheme to slow them down. We won't shut them out but we can slow them down. On the other side, if there was ever a game to have Will and the WRs show out, this is it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Dart is a horrible QB right now. It's roughly a 50% passer against a little talent.
    I remember talking about Levis- but Dart? Dart’s terrible

vCash
    I remember talking about Levis- but Dart? Dart?s terrible
    that makes more sense. The thread I saw was back and forth with "he" and it was lost in my translation as to which QB was "he".
    Hopefully KY loses another game and starts to get down some before we play them at KY. But I think they will have trouble keeping up with us also.

vCash
    I remember talking about Levis- but Dart? Dart’s terrible
    Do you think Dart's going to get better later in the season or is there just not much to work with there?

vCash
    One of those near picks was wallet bit finishing his route correctly. It wasn't on will. But hey - you gotta cut Rogers when you get the chance - Will is a better college qb than Levis.

vCash
    Add to 8 we just knocked the crap out of them. Our D was the most physical I have seen in years and they just sent a message to the rest of the SEC to be ready to get popped. I bet their QBs, RBs and WRs are taking a communal ice bath today. Our Oline protected Will and also opened up some big holes between the tackles for our RBs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    One of those near picks was wallet bit finishing his route correctly. It wasn't on will. But hey - you gotta cut Rogers when you get the chance - Will is a better college qb than Levis.
    Walley had stopped his route but the CB undercut had the pick. He just dropped it. Luck is part of the game.

Hard to compare Levis and Rogers in college. Both are good college QB's but play in very different offenses.

Rogers completes passes 4% better and throws for 62 more yards per game. But he also throws 19 more passes per game. Levis completes passes at 10 per while Rogers is at 7.3 and Levis QBR is alot higher at 175-159. Levis is 2nd in the SEC in QBR behind Hooker who has been just awesome and 8th nationally. Rogers 32nd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Do you think Dart's going to get better later in the season or is there just not much to work with there?
    Not much this season. He is going to need another offseason. Dart is no better than Altmeyer right now.

vCash
    Bjerk made me laugh.

Bean comp is spot on and he may be the best MSU player ever imo.

vCash
    Not much this season. He is going to need another offseason. Dart is no better than Altmeyer right now.
    I see them getting exposed when they play an actual defense. Teams are going to stack the box and make Dart beat them. I don't think he can do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I see them getting exposed when they play an actual defense. Teams are going to stack the box and make Dart beat them. I don't think he can do it.
    This is exactly what's gonna happen. Dart ain't beating nobody with his arm.

vCash
    Walley had stopped his route but the CB undercut had the pick. He just dropped it. Luck is part of the game.

Hard to compare Levis and Rogers in college. Both are good college QB's but play in very different offenses.

Rogers completes passes 4% better and throws for 62 more yards per game. But he also throws 19 more passes per game. Levis completes passes at 10 per while Rogers is at 7.3 and Levis QBR is alot higher at 175-159. Levis is 2nd in the SEC in QBR behind Hooker who has been just awesome and 8th nationally. Rogers 32nd
    You need to go back and watch the tape - the defender was behind Walley - he didn't undercut anything

To begin you are comparing a junior to a senior. Furthermore, Rogers has a QBR of 74 vs Levis 58 for this season. Rogers is 19/3 td/int while Levis is 14/4. 19 more passes per game and less interceptions - that's pretty hard to argue.