Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any baseball news from the weekend scrimmages?

vCash

Any baseball news from the weekend scrimmages?

I did see a twitter pic of Stinnett pitching. I can?t remember if we decided for sure if he was coming back.

vCash
    Very early, glad to know one pitcher seems to be fine now. 12 pitches (93-95) and two ground outs and one K. All fastballs except one. Easy on arm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Very early, glad to know one pitcher seems to be fine now. 12 pitches (93-95) and two ground outs and one K. All fastballs except one. Easy on arm.
    Great news! Thanks for the update Base / have been concerned about him.

vCash
    Someone on twitter said Dakota Jordan had 3 hits today and makes a lot of hard contact. Mershon is apparently looking pretty good at SS. Our ambi pitcher from Curacao has apparently looked pretty good.

vCash
    he is batting as well as playing in the field also

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Someone on twitter said Dakota Jordan had 3 hits today and makes a lot of hard contact. Mershon is apparently looking pretty good at SS. Our ambi pitcher from Curacao has apparently looked pretty good.
    Loftin had a really good day too.

vCash
    PFS Babyyyyy!!!!!
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Jordan has had a very good fall. That's great news for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Loftin had a really good day too.
    That’s good to hear. We need to find some capable pitchers in a bad way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Jordan has had a very good fall. That's great news for us.
    Yes it is. Especially with Aaron Downs being injured.

I'm typically pretty cautious with freshman but based on the fall (I know) I think we have some difference makers that can contribute early.

I think Loftin, Loo, Tapper, Highfill, Mershon, and Dakota could all contribute for us next year.

And on one is talking about the fact that Alford and Ledbetter appear to be carrying over the summer ball success with them into the fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    PFS Babyyyyy!!!!!
    I'm interested to see what role he has. I don't think he is a relief pitcher and he is much better as a starter. I can't put him ahead of Hunt, Cade, or Gartman though. May end up being our midweek guy.

vCash
    That’s good to hear. We need to find some capable pitchers in a bad way.
    No doubt! Pitching killed us last year. It's not only capable starters- we need guys in the pen. Our starting pitching was average- me being positive- last year. Let's say good enough most games to get through five with a lead. We could not finish games out though. Aaron Nixon and Nate Dohm will probably be our closer. That and Tyler Davis from VCU to go along with Pico make us much better. Add in the freshmen and some of the JUCO guys- and we'll be good to go.

I'm also excited that our offense is going to be remade more into what I prefer- power with speed to balance it out. That's really our "formula". Polk had Van Cleve and Theisen to go along with Thunder and Lightning and then had Jody Hurst and Cohen to go along with Raffo and Pete Young. Then when Cohen became the coach we had Mangum, TA, and Rowdey to go along with Foscue, Westburg, and whoever else. Ahmani Larry and Colton Ledbetter change our lineup so much- in a good way.

vCash
    Right now in practice, we are experiencing more with pitchers, not so much what they can do with every pitch but command. Also, pitchers and hitters are put somewhat in different situations, I guess I am trying to say it's practice. Not the same as a game as far as pressure for most and or some. It's the new guys getting their chance, we will be improved let's just hope we stay healthy, especially pitchers. I don't pay too much attention to practice, lots of experimenting going on. I will say, we surely need Cade to stay healthy, I know I'm prejudice, but he is the most consistent on the mound with experience, I expect this to be his year. Now I said it and will go back in the "dugout".

vCash
    Any word on the juco pitcher that was throwing upper 90’s?

vCash
    He's still poppin it in the 96-98 mph range with good breaking stuff. His nick name is Big Donkey so..........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    he is batting as well as playing in the field also
    He only did that once and that was bc we have multiple injuries in the outfield and Larry was hurt. I don't expect him to be a position player. But I guess you never know.

vCash
    Any word on the juco pitcher that was throwing upper 90’s?
    Really struggled w command this weekend. The stuff is there. He's been up and down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    He's still poppin it in the 96-98 mph range with good breaking stuff. His nick name is Big Donkey so..........
    Did the cleat chasers give him that nickname ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Really struggled w command this weekend. The stuff is there. He's been up and down.
    Yeah command is gonna be his issue. The 3-4 times i watched him pitch this year his stuff was electric but he was erratic. Would be going great and then just lose the zone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm interested to see what role he has. I don't think he is a relief pitcher and he is much better as a starter. I can't put him ahead of Hunt, Cade, or Gartman though. May end up being our midweek guy.
    Thats fine as long as he can keep it together for 4 innings or so
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is