Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geoff Collins is out at Georgia Tech

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Tech's lack of a fanbase is something they did to themselves. Both from a sports perspective and from a student body perspective. Leaving the SEC was all about Dodd's vanity - but being a bad independent team in the 1970's, and bad ACC team through most of the 1980s destroyed any chance at Gen X being fans. Especially with Vince and Erk down the road in Athens having songs written about the Junkyard Dawgs, winning SEC titles and a Natty. From an academic standpoint, Tech became an international school.
    In 1979, 12,742 students were enrolled at GT. 7,130 from Georgia; 4,726 from other states, and 886 from outside the US. Last year they had 43,844 students (with only 17,447 of those undergrads). 14,226 students were from Ga; 17,942 from other states; and 11,676 from other countries. I get that they are an engineering/research oriented institute - and that's fine. But, you can't be shocked when you have created an alumni base over the past 40 years that has no interest in sports ball, going to see sports ball, or giving money for sports ball.
    Good points and that is why I posted they are kind of stupid firing a Coach now, just play it out and save that $5 million or so. There fan base is real bad and could care less, If I was the AD/ Prez ituation I would concentrate on Basketball and baseball. Their football program is bad with "who cares fans".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Good points and that is why I posted they are kind of stupid firing a Coach now, just play it out and save that $5 million or so. There fan base is real bad and could care less, If I was the AD/ Prez ituation I would concentrate on Basketball and baseball. Their football program is bad with "who cares fans".
    In general, I would agree about firing in season. I personally don't like it. Just like I don't like players going in the portal in season. But, I do understand why Tech did it. Collins had them convinced this was the year they made strides. And they sucked again. Meanwhile little brother Georgia Southern goes from 3-9 to 3-1 and is beating Nebraska. Ga State is a block down the street and looks more competitive even at 0-4 and is coming off an 8-5 season. They didn't even have football a decade ago and they have been to more bowls than Tech over the past 9 seasons. It's a desperation move for a dying program. RIP to the North Avenue Trade School.

vCash
    No matter how good or bad GT is I don?t want to play them. We seem to be cursed against them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    In general, I would agree about firing in season. I personally don't like it. Just like I don't like players going in the portal in season. But, I do understand why Tech did it. Collins had them convinced this was the year they made strides. And they sucked again. Meanwhile little brother Georgia Southern goes from 3-9 to 3-1 and is beating Nebraska. Ga State is a block down the street and looks more competitive even at 0-4 and is coming off an 8-5 season. They didn't even have football a decade ago and they have been to more bowls than Tech over the past 9 seasons. It's a desperation move for a dying program. RIP to the North Avenue Trade School.
    And they didn't even let Collins know they fired him ... they shot off a press release that afternoon and the next am Collins showed up for work ... not a good look or the classy way to go about letting him go
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.