Thread: Through 4 games, our defense has shown a lot of improvements

vCash

Through 4 games, our defense has shown a lot of improvements

Still early, but over all defense we are ranked 33. What's interesting is that our Passing defense Efficiency is ranked 22nd. Passing yards allowed, 49th. Last year, with our latest NFL CB, we ranked 81st and 71st. That's a massive improvement. That's due to the portal having it's effect in the DB, the DL getting more pressure.

Our 3rd down defense is improved. Currently 15th in the nation and last year 94th.

https://stats.ncaa.org/teams/544687

vCash
    The biggest problem with the defense is they lose their focus sometimes. Also we've given up some cheap scores because of turnovers in offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The biggest problem with the defense is they lose their focus sometimes. Also we've given up some cheap scores because of turnovers in offense.
    Yep. I wish we had called a time out on the LSU drive at the half after his first break out run.

The good news to that is Page is coming along rapidly, Russell looked great, and Davis is back. Those 3 along with Crumedy can be a difference maker in this team!

vCash
    Still have trouble with a running QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Still have trouble with a running QB.
    I think Davis and Russell helps that. Davis was out vs LSU along with Crumedy

vCash
    D may be improved statistically but we haven't faced the meat of our schedule yet. OM was #2 in nation in D before this weekend and we know that ain't true either.

We don't have the depth I thought we had to start the year. Also we are too slow at LB too. DL is not getting as much push as we need.

The next two games will tell us a lot not just about our D but our O and entire team. Glad they are at home so we have our best shot.

Hoping we take a few steps forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    D may be improved statistically but we haven't faced the meat of our schedule yet. OM was #2 in nation in D before this weekend and we know that ain't true either.

We don't have the depth I thought we had to start the year. Also we are too slow at LB too. DL is not getting as much push as we need.

The next two games will tell us a lot not just about our D but our O and entire team. Glad they are at home so we have our best shot.

Hoping we take a few steps forward.

No, the D is simply improved. We do have depth. We have zero drop off when Banks comes in. Or between Collin and Mathews...etc etc. We have played all season without Crumedy and he is getting ready to return. Russell is stepping up and so is Page.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    No, the D is simply improved. We do have depth. We have zero drop off when Banks comes in. Or between Collin and Mathews...etc etc. We have played all season without Crumedy and he is getting ready to return. Russell is stepping up and so is Page.
    Not much quality depth but in a few spots. Leach disagrees with you. Leach even said so yesterday about how bad 2nd team was. Did you see that?

Crumedy being out has hurt but we are thin at LB and not enough difference makers on DL.

vCash
    Not much quality depth but in a few spots. Leach disagrees with you. Leach even said so yesterday about how bad 2nd team was. Did you see that?

Crumedy being out has hurt but we are thin at LB and not enough difference makers on DL.

He stated outside the normal rotation.

vCash

I'll say this:

This offseason I hope we hit the portal hard for 3-4 EDGE rushers that are legit. I can't see is losing all three of Pickering, Young, and Crumedy with COVID years left. And then we could move Jett to MLB where he fits better. And then we need to get at least two- maybe three more legit safeties- one to replace Matthews and one to replace Green. We need to move Duncan to a more run situation type of guy.

If we do that our defense could go next level. I feel good about Banks and Richardson at corner if Forbes goes pro.

vCash
    I'll say this:

This offseason I hope we hit the portal hard for 3-4 EDGE rushers that are legit. I can't see is losing all three of Pickering, Young, and Crumedy with COVID years left. And then we could move Jett to MLB where he fits better. And then we need to get at least two- maybe three more legit safeties- one to replace Matthews and one to replace Green. We need to move Duncan to a more run situation type of guy.

If we do that our defense could go next level. I feel good about Banks and Richardson at corner if Forbes goes pro.

Yeah. Leach with a Defense in year 3... (Nope. I don't count covid .. not even for the "national Champs)

vCash
    Yeah. Leach with a Defense in year 3... (Nope. I don't count covid .. not even for the "national Champs)
    So let me get this straight.

Leach cheerleaders don't count Sept for being part of the season and if there is some other even in a year, we don't count a whole year of football. 2020 we played a full slate of games. Actually played one of our best games of year at UGA with covid impact. I think it gave us an edge that day.

OK

So for revisionist history I guess, 2001 football season never happened either with the 911 interruption to the season and all the distractions. Revise Jackie's record up.

Then we have to get rid of MSUs only NC in 40-41 due to WWII.

Worse than that, you don't even count the MSU baseball NC because of covid??

I don't like erasing years or seasons because of the outcome. If we play, it all counts.

vCash
    So let me get this straight.

Leach cheerleaders don't count Sept for being part of the season and if there is some other even in a year, we don't count a whole year of football. 2020 we played a full slate of games. Actually played one of our best games of year at UGA with covid impact. I think it gave us an edge that day.
    I would love for you to get it straight. Where did I or anybody stated that Sept doesn't count? No, Football during covid was not a complete season. We had not spring. Summer? Camp? Exactly.... We were not Bama with the recruits for that system adn years of recruiting for it under Saban's belt. We were a MSU team changing total systems with a QB who was a 54% passer and a team where players were brwaking their own QB's eye socket before a bowl. Full of players that didn't buy in and players that had to be dismissed. Players that JoMo allowed to come and go at practice when they wanted to. So Yes, do please get what I am saying straight.

I'm not a "Leach Cheerleader", I'm a MSU fan that understand the history of MSU and college football and grasp that changing coaches out every 2 to 3 years rarely works. The names mentioned on this very board by those that already want change would never be given the opportunity to succeed here for the very same reasons. Even though all of those coaches took 5 years to start making a difference.

So for revisionist history I guess, 2001 football season never happened either with the 911 interruption to the season and all the distractions. Revise Jackie's record up.

100% not the same. No where near it. JWS had been here for how long? He had spring and summer as normal. In fact the only thing that happened differently was the games on the weekend of Spet 11th. We played on Sept 20th. Nothing remotely the same about that.

None of the rest of what you posted changes what happened to a new coach with a very different system never used at MSU.

vCash
    I'll say this:

At the BG game, I got a side view of Forbes. He still looks like he is so thin that he would have to run around in the shower to get wet. He weighted around 155 when he got to State. Don't think he is NFL ready to tackle big backs and receivers. Looks ready coverage wise. Who knows?

vCash
    NM
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 09-26-2022 at 02:07 AM.