Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The real problem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Yes the air raid does help negate the talent gap. LSU had the #8 most talented roster in the country, MSU #29. One game doesn?t make a season.

Leach is 1-2 against LSU, Dan was 2-7....as in most stats, Leach will surpass Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    LSU while mullen was here: 87-29
    LSU while leach has been here: 13-12
    Croom vs Saban 1-1
    Dan vs Saban 0-9
    Leach vs Saban 0-2

Croom > Dan & Leach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justwin View Post
    this is a terrible take all around. this offense works. we need a qb who can throw downfield with zip and have just a little mobility and it will take off. this offense even works to be avg or slightly above avg with a limited qb which is what we currently have.
    This aint it. I'm sure Will can throw the ball downfield, but that's tough to do when the defense sits back with 2 safeties because they know what offense we are running. Not to mention the time it takes for those routes to develop when you have a RT that can't block his man. As for a mobile QB, don't get your hopes up. Mike wants his guy to sit in the pocket and make the quick accurate throws. Undoubtedly, there's guys in the QB room more mobile than Will, yet they haven't sniffed the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    I'm not so sure Will is deadly accurate like many say. He just makes a lot of high % throws. I've seen Will be pretty inaccurate on what should be routine throws. I think this offense can be a little deceiving when it comes to completion percentage. I think Will is decent and like Leach he'll win you some games you shouldn't win but also disappear at times.
    Will is accurate, but you're right on easy throws.

Comp % nationally - 10th
    Yds/att nationally - 74th

Here's what real downfield accuracy looks like...

Caleb Williams comp % nationally - 4th
    Yds/att nationally - 8th

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I don't get all the talk about DM versus ML, it has nothing to do with this season or any season. Time to move on as DM ain't coming back to StarkVegas.
    To deflect from the point of the conversation which is the air raid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    This aint it. I'm sure Will can throw the ball downfield, but that's tough to do when the defense sits back with 2 safeties because they know what offense we are running. Not to mention the time it takes for those routes to develop when you have a RT that can't block his man. As for a mobile QB, don't get your hopes up. Mike wants his guy to sit in the pocket and make the quick accurate throws. Undoubtedly, there's guys in the QB room more mobile than Will, yet they haven't sniffed the field.
    I'd prefer a TE over a mobile qb even though I'd rather both. A TE can at least help our tackle out some

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    So funny to hear people blame scheme when LSU had a better player at most every position on the field and these same people don?t give to NIL while wanting the coach fired.

It?s mis-placed blame
    Hahaha - this is hilarious - I actually had a meeting with a university official just last week about NIL
    Giving and how to handle. Maybe you should quit making assumptions...

vCash
    So funny to hear people blame scheme when LSU had a better player at most every position on the field and these same people don?t give to NIL while wanting the coach fired.

It?s mis-placed blame
    The only way to beat superior talent is scheme and execution

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    You get it

vCash
    I'd prefer a TE over a mobile qb even though I'd rather both. A TE can at least help our tackle out some
    Yes sir

vCash
    I said before the season that the O-Line is good, but not good enough (for an offense with an immobile QB that passes 90% of the time).

We saw that in Baton Rouge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Hahaha. Anytime some facts are presented, the swabs come out with "but but but ...Mullen, Moorhead...". Blah blah blah.

Cowbell is dead on about this offense. This offense is the same formations every week. Same Plays with 7-9 variations of pass routes. But don't listen to Cowbell, listen to DCs and players around the country.

Now will this offense work? Yeah to some extent vs equal talent. But this offense does require exceptional talent along the line, because it puts tackles and guards in one on one situations in space. You will need high quality OL, size and speed, to give any QB the necessary time for the 7-9 routes to develop. (This is why you don't see passes down field. Not enough time for QB, two safeties every the top). Then you'll need to continue to recruit high Level QBs. Two positions msu has always struggled to recruit. Oh and NIL, I give to BIL. But.... State is number 13 in the sec in recruiting budget. Tell ole LT-Cohen to get off the check book and fund recruiting..... Mizer 2.0. Anyways....

What I find funny," air raid, air raid, air raid." Now everyone wants a QB that can run. Yeah, you'll need a QB that can run with this offense. The gaps are so wide and our OL so slow, it is an interstate freeway to the backfield for LBs.

Looking forward to the Mullen did this Moorhead did that thread. Meanwhile we will see if this offense scores a TD on Bama or UGA this year.
    He's no where near dead on. In fact he's pretty much 100% wrong. Yes you need a great OL. He would have ever thought that in the SEC, we would need a great OL. A flash of news. So does every offense in the SEC. Every offense has flaws when it has a weakness in the line up.

vCash
    The difference in the game wasn't talent even though I agree with you. The difference ended up being we put a subpar player in to replace a good player on PR.

ETA... lsu is better at off-the-field positions (coaching), too

I'm going to say that Daniels was far superior to our LBs... I'm also willing to say their OL was far superior to our DL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    I'm going to say that Daniels was far superior to our LBs... I'm also willing to say their OL was far superior to our DL.
    So you agree? I agreed with shotgun that lsu was more talented

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I don't get all the talk about DM versus ML, it has nothing to do with this season or any season. Time to move on as DM ain't coming back to StarkVegas.
    I think it's because people seem to think that Mullen is the God of coaches at MSU and then you have threads where MS7 and others "beg Mullen to come back"... or a poll on if we would like Mullen back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    He's no where near dead on. In fact he's pretty much 100% wrong. Yes you need a great OL. He would have ever thought that in the SEC, we would need a great OL. A flash of news. So does every offense in the SEC. Every offense has flaws when it has a weakness in the line up.
    So the air raid isn't special or unique and you'll still need players equal to or similar to your opponent, like always. That's exactly my point. This offense puts 3* on an island with 4-5*. Tough situation to win.

vCash

It?s mis-placed blame
    No it's not. This scheme is ancient. So much so, there is no "scheme". It's line up and run the same handful of plays over and over. We don't do anything to help ourselves. Even the LSU players said so. They knew what we were going to do and that we kept trying the same things over and over. That's why they basically shut it down after the first half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    No it's not. This scheme is ancient. So much so, there is no "scheme". It's line up and run the same handful of plays over and over. We don't do anything to help ourselves. Even the LSU players said so. They knew what we were going to do and that we kept trying the same things over and over. That's why they basically shut it down after the first half.
    You will see the same issues we had against LSU on O with any SEC D's we face with good DB's and a fast DE's. Our LB's also lack speed defending the flats and a QB scramble. Safety play has not improved against the pass at all. As per our "experienced 2022 returning team", sometimes it just means a year older, not necessarily better. BTW, looked at next year's schedule, no GA, we go 11-1!**** Hail State!

vCash
    So you agree? I agreed with shotgun that lsu was more talented
    I posted about this the week before the game. Started a topic on it. The only way that LSU wins the game is if we do not contain him and keep our discipline on the edges. If he is able to run to the edges, he alone will win the game. I also posted that is is not an inaccurate passer that his issue is not seeing the field. We lack speed in certain positions. LB, Edge, Safety. The only way to win those battles is not allow him outside. First half, we did a good job at it. Last drive of the half, we did not.

2nd & 2 at LSU 33

(1:44 - 2nd) Jayden Daniels run for 13 yds to the LSU 46 for a 1ST down

2nd & 7 at LSU 49

(1:20 - 2nd) Jayden Daniels run for 15 yds to the MisSt 36 for a 1ST down

2nd & 2 at MSST 28

(0:55 - 2nd) Jayden Daniels run for 20 yds to the MisSt 8 for a 1ST down

LSU has a better Roster than we do over all. We are matching them in certain areas. Leach has done a great job in picking up our WR, RB, and QB rooms. What's nice is he bit the bullet and is setting to stage for consistency from year to year. Yes, we will have a lot gone after this year, but we will replace those with people who have been here in the systems for a few years.

Let's take Sawyer. Sawyer will take over and he will be more than ready. He came here because of Leach and the system. Same with Locke... Same with Parson. All of those will be ready and the drop off should not be massive. The area for improvement will be the OL. We are not Bama, UGA. We have to think long term stability build to our program. Stoops, Clawson, Mullen at MSU. We will set our program back to the Croom ages with a revolving door.

Now on defense, defense is a bigger concern for me. We are playing mainly with recruits pre Leach/Arnett on the DL and LB. We need speed.

Shorter story, our recruiting needs to improve on OL, Edge, LBs, Safety.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    So the air raid isn't special or unique and you'll still need players equal to or similar to your opponent, like always. That's exactly my point. This offense puts 3* on an island with 4-5*. Tough situation to win.
    Where did I say it wasn't unique? It is. I stated that all offenses will need a great OL. We will always pull in great QBs and WRs with RBS. We have never had this much talent in those rooms at the same time.

vCash
    Lack speed at LB, edge, and safety? Who's left? DL gets very little pressure with a 3 man front and sometimes even when we send the house. What happened to the fast, tough DE's I read about in the preseason? I think our preseason hype was about the worse I have ever fallen for since my first game attended in 1963. Year may get tougher fast.