Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The real problem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Where did I say it wasn't unique? It is. I stated that all offenses will need a great OL. We will always pull in great QBs and WRs with RBS. We have never had this much talent in those rooms at the same time.
    We aren't nearly as talented at WR and RB as most of our fans think we are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    We aren't nearly as talented at WR and RB as most of our fans think we are
    Woody Marks and Dillon Johnson will both be NFL backs. At least one of our wide receivers will be drafted, I feel like the last wide receiver we had drafted was Eric Moulds so yes we are more talented in those rooms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    No it's not. This scheme is ancient. So much so, there is no "scheme". It's line up and run the same handful of plays over and over. We don't do anything to help ourselves. Even the LSU players said so. They knew what we were going to do and that we kept trying the same things over and over. That's why they basically shut it down after the first half.
    They didn't shut anything down. We did that to ourselves. A few examples:

2nd & 10 at LSU 49

(4:00 - 1st) Will Rogers sacked by BJ Ojulari for a loss of 9 yards to the MisSt 42
    3rd & 19 at MSST 42

(3:30 - 1st) Will Rogers pass complete to Rufus Harvey for 18 yds to the LSU 40
    The sack put us way behind the chains.

1st & 10 at MSST 29

(14:00 - 2nd) Will Rogers pass complete to Rara Thomas for 10 yds to the MisSt 39 for a 1ST down
    1st & 10 at MSST 39

(13:30 - 2nd) Will Rogers pass complete to Jamire Calvin for 6 yds to the MisSt 45
    2nd & 4 at MSST 45

(13:00 - 2nd) Will Rogers run for 6 yds to the LSU 49 for a 1ST down
    1st & 10 at LSU 49

(12:50 - 2nd) Will Rogers pass incomplete
    2nd & 10 at LSU 49

(12:40 - 2nd) Will Rogers pass incomplete
    Dropped pass.

2nd & 10 at MSST 36

(14:20 - 3rd) Will Rogers pass complete to Dillon Johnson for 8 yds to the MisSt 44
    3rd & 2 at MSST 44

(13:45 - 3rd) Will Rogers pass incomplete to Rara Thomas
    Dropped pass... stopped the drive. Not Pass defended. Dropped pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman15 View Post
    Woody Marks and Dillon Johnson will both be NFL backs. At least one of our wide receivers will be drafted, I feel like the last wide receiver we had drafted was Eric Moulds so yes we are more talented in those rooms
    Which WR?

vCash
    Both nfl backs? I'd take that bet

vCash
    I would say Rara but hes young so hell have to keep showing those things, Tulu should, he's a little undersized but I would expect him to get drafted off athletic ability alone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What you wanna bet? Woody Marks is made for today's NFL and Dillon Johnson size and speed combo will get him there

vCash
    Neither is very elusive or break many tackles. Both catch the ball well and might make it as a third down back/ST. NFL has changed and RB's are now a dime a dozen, not featured as the were in the past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Neither is very elusive or break many tackles. Both catch the ball well and might make it as a third down back/ST. NFL has changed and RB's are now a dime a dozen, not featured as the were in the past.
    It's hard to be elusive on a checkdown that everyone in the stadium knows is coming

vCash
    Lack speed at LB, edge, and safety? Who's left? DL gets very little pressure with a 3 man front and sometimes even when we send the house. What happened to the fast, tough DE's I read about in the preseason? I think our preseason hype was about the worse I have ever fallen for since my first game attended in 1963. Year may get tougher fast.
    I think we are improved. We do get pressure, but Charlton is slow. We played without 2 starters on that DL. Crumedy and Davis. We are going with vet LBs over recruits for that system because they are adapting and lack experience. Over all they do a pretty good. We simply failed on all sides of the ball at LSU.

Drop after Drop. Not making quick decisions. Lost the most important series of the game, imo, when we allowed Daniels to take over with 2 minutes left in the half. It was at that point, the defense looked lost. Our offense didn't help the defense. Muffed punts didn't help the defense.

This season is not over and this out come if not a sign of the times. It's 1 loss in the building of the a program.

vCash
    It's hard to be elusive on a checkdown that everyone in the stadium knows is coming
    Except for Woody's 37 yard TD against LSU, how many long runs with breakaway speed has either had? I know our run blocking doesn't help much however.

vCash
    What you wanna bet? Woody Marks is made for today's NFL and Dillon Johnson size and speed combo will get him there
    They aren't even in the top half of the sec. OM probably has 2 better right now in this state... 1 for sure

vCash
    Except for Woody's 37 yard TD against LSU, how many long runs with breakaway speed has either had? I know our run blocking doesn't help much however.
    Well, in that same game Johnson ran it for 35.

1st & 10 at LSU 48

(3:08 - 2nd) Dillon Johnson run for 35 yds to the LSU 13 for a 1ST down
    1st & 10 at LSU 13

(2:30 - 2nd) Will Rogers pass incomplete to Caleb Ducking
    2nd & 10 at LSU 13

(2:14 - 2nd) Will Rogers pass complete to Rara Thomas for 13 yds for a TD, (Ben Raybon KICK)

We are a better team this year than last.

vCash
    If you stuck woody or Johnson in their system they would have quality numbers too, they each have their longest runs equal to Ole Miss's second back Judkins Woody has 1 more TD than both Evans and Judkins they average more yards per rush in an offense tailored for running the football

vCash
    They aren't even in the top half of the sec. OM probably has 2 better right now in this state... 1 for sure

Marks

Grade:

3rd Round

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/scoutin...oquaviousmarks

vCash
    They didn't shut anything down. We did that to ourselves. A few examples:

The sack put us way behind the chains.

Dropped pass.

Dropped pass... stopped the drive. Not Pass defended. Dropped pass.
    OK, 4 dropped balls cost us the game***. They ate this offense up the second half. Sacks are easy when you know what play we're running.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    OK, 4 dropped balls cost us the game***. They ate this offense up the second half. Sacks are easy when you know what play we're running.
    No Cooter. More than dropped passes contributed to our losing the game. It was also a muffed punt. It was also the lack of an edge rush. It was also the lack of discipline at times by our LBs... It was also the lack of pass blocking at times by Woody Marks. It was many things.

But LSU did not shut us down and thus the loss. We did enough of that on our own.

vCash
    I hope you're right for their sakes. My go to on draft picks is walterfootball, and he doesn't like either YET. It is still early.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024RB.php

vCash
    There were 7 RBs taken in the top 3 rounds last year in the draft.

vCash
    Good thread. Needed this around here. Good points made on both sides

October will really show us what's what
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is