Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's the Most Disappointing Thing About Will Rogers to me

vCash

Here's the Most Disappointing Thing About Will Rogers to me

I can't remember who said it or where I saw it but anyway it was a quote that LSU "did some things on film that we hadn't seen before".

Now, I get why film study is important. Obviously.

BUT with Will at the stage he is at in his career I expect him to be able to adapt to what other teams are doing very quickly. Whether it's on film or not. There is always a solution in this offense and he has to be able to find that. If he was a freshman I get it. But he has been here three years now. It's time for him to stop looking like a scared and confused puppy out there and start making some plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I can't remember who said it or where I saw it but anyway it was a quote that LSU "did some things on film that we hadn't seen before".

BUT with Will at the stage he is at in his career I expect him to be able to adapt to what other teams are doing very quickly. Whether it's on film or not. There is always a solution in this offense and he has to be able to find that. If he was a freshman I get it. But he has been here three years now. It's time for him to stop looking like a scared and confused puppy out there and start making some plays.
    I would love to see Will do what he did last year in the second half of the Auburn game. We were down 28-7 at the half I think and he put on a show in the second half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

There isn't always a solution. When your right tackle is getting owned and your coach doesn't know how to eliminate the pressure with chip blocks or tight ends, you are put in a position to fail. And when you don't roll out, run play action, or inside screens, there's no deception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I would love to see Will do what he did last year in the second half of the Auburn game. We were down 28-7 at the half I think and he put on a show in the second half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    There isn't always a solution. When your right tackle is getting owned and your coach doesn't know how to eliminate the pressure with chip blocks or tight ends, you are put in a position to fail. And when you don't roll out, run play action, or inside screens, there's no deception.
    I think he just needs to play. Like he did against Auburn. Don't think too much. Run the play. Trust the system. There are people open. Smoke and mirrors only get you so far before the other team picks up on that. Even without having extra protection, fakes, bells whistles, this guy in motion and this guy playing in the slot- there are plays to be made. And usually it's a short pass. It's not like we're asking him to make shot plays all the time. That's what is frustrating to me- it's there. I expect a SEC college football QB who has been running any system to be able to complete a 10 yard pass. That's a very basic ask- I wouldn't be surprised if most D2 QB's that are average could do that. All of that other stuff that fans suggest is really just fan service if we're being honest with ourselves. "I want it to look this way because I like that". Moorhead tried to cater to the fans to the point where by the 2019 Egg Bowl we were essentially running the ball every play- and guess what? It looked like shit.

My impression is he's worried about something else. I don't know what. Whether that's impressing people or whether it's throwing an interception or being afraid of being hit- he needs to get over whatever it is.

Because it's the craziest thing to me- he is actually so accurate when he throws the ball downfield if you look at him statistically. But he just rarely does it when it's there.

vCash
    Watched the replay. Paused/Replayed/Paused/Replayed etc.

Oline didn't play well. They're playing slow and usually a guard can't make up his mind who to help in pass pro .. so he ends up not blocking or helping a soul. Tackles struggle with fast edge rushers. We struggle with 5 or 6 to give Will time against 4 ... and then he gets nervous. In run blocking, no lineman is good at blocking LBs on 2nd level. When they pull to lead sweeps they usually end up blocking no one to any extent. RBs outrun them too. Slow afoot.

Didn't run the mesh one time the other night (maybe because it takes a little more time to develop ... don't know). Thought that was bread n butter of air raid. Having said that, there was a lot of open grass for receivers to run to and they didn't always do that, which I'm putting on Will since he's calling/audibling into plays. Will didn't read the D very well all night and was a little off on his throws.

On running plays, Will needs to keep it more. DE/LB ain't paying a lick of attention to him and crashing hard on RBs. That's killing us. Gotta make them pay for that. Will needs to step up and keep it some ... there was plenty of room for him to gain yardage, especially on 3rd or 4th and short yardage. He could've easily made yardage a few times with lots of time to slide before getting hit. He's playing big boy football now so he needs to step up.

WRs dropped passes that should've been caught. Didn't block well on the edges either.

D played pretty solid but no great players. Just a collection of solid players. Not a ton of depth that I see in back 8 players. Good run stopping D but no top tier edge guy or pass rusher. If QB had been more accurate we would've been in bigger trouble than we were.

And then there seems to be the WTF special teams plays. We were still in it till Austin muffed that punt. That was a back breaker and crowd went wild after that too. We came apart then.

D had tough road after muffed punt. I hang this loss primarily on the offense. Leach had a nice, politically correct presser today. He seems to have mellowed since getting into social media doghouse early on. Maybe that's why he's mentioning retiring. It's a different world now. I hope he wasn't as mellow behind closed doors cause IMO some folks, coaches and players, need a good chewing on after the other night.

vCash
    If the defense gets a good lick in on Will that usually has a negative effect the rest of the game for him.

vCash
    I think Will definitely feels a need to impress people. I remember after we beat aTm last year he felt a need to point out to the fanbase that the people criticizing him were wrong after the Memphis and LSU loss. He definitely was defensive and that can be a sign of immaturity and not handling criticism well. That being said, I love Will and I do not put this loss on him. We dropped way too many passes and still have glaring special team issues. My 8-4 prediction still holds true as I predicted we would lose that game. It’s not crazy to think we can win the next 3 home games. Scoring on aTm will be hard, but their offense is bad. Ark has a bad pass defense which benefits us.

vCash
    No offense dawg166 - but anyone wanting Will to keep and run on a read option just wants us to lose and have Will get creamed. Will has no burst when running. Did you see how long it took him to get that 6 yards on his one run Saturday? His running makes Tyler Russell look like a natural in the the dead option

vCash
    We are not very good in the O-Line, very slow and stiff. With twist in the stunting of the defensive line we are bad at getting our hands or body in front of the defenders. Good example of Marks TD, watch our LT. As long as the defensive front goes straight ahead, we have a chance of protection.
    I don't know of any or very few Qb's who like to get hit except the agile running type Qb's. For Will to be successful depends on protection from the O-Line. It's pretty simple for the defense when the offense formation pretty much stays the same play after play. Not having a TE or fullback at least some of the time is brutal in the Sec. Defenses are fast agile and smart, overload like Lsu did with speed and we will get beat most of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    The Auburn game in the second half was the best I've ever seen the MSU work.

vCash
    "LSU is pretty darn good up front, in their defensive front 7. They created a lot of havoc. If not for Will Rogers, things could have been a lot worse. Because a lot of guys can't get the ball out that quick. He (Rogers) is so good at anticipating, throwing to a spot, trusting and knowing where his guys are."

Tom Luginbill on MSU v LSU 2022

vCash
    I've rewatched the game. I saw one mesh concept. (There may have been more). The pocket collapsed and they had Will wrapped before the receivers reached the mesh point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    "LSU is pretty darn good up front, in their defensive front 7. They created a lot of havoc. If not for Will Rogers, things could have been a lot worse. Because a lot of guys can't get the ball out that quick. He (Rogers) is so good at anticipating, throwing to a spot, trusting and knowing where his guys are."

Tom Luginbill on MSU v LSU 2022
    Guess Tom will name his son after Travis at FSU...

Travis QBR - 88.4
    Will QBR - 41.1

vCash
    [QUOTE=msstate7;1449402]Guess Tom will name his son after Travis at FSU...

Travis QBR - 88.4
    Will QBR - 41.1[

If y'all will not listen to a former QB and professional analysts..... oh well. Enjoy yourself.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Maroonthirteen;1449405]
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Guess Tom will name his son after Travis at FSU...

Travis QBR - 88.4
    Will QBR - 41.1[

If y'all will not listen to a former QB and professional analysts..... oh well. Enjoy yourself.
    Oh, I'll listen to him. I just find praise on a qb that led a team to under 300 total yards in a college game to ring hollow

vCash
    [QUOTE=msstate7;1449407]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Oh, I'll listen to him. I just find praise on a qb that led a team to under 300 total yards in a college game to ring hollow
    Axe to grind?

Like it or not, we are not Bama, UGA or LSU. You seem to demand perfection from a non perfect QB who was rated a 3 star. A QB that can not even get his picture on ESPN's page for MS ST Football. You, and some others, seem to demand that we have a national championship team now and do nothing to earn getting there outside of watching the game. Here is what we can do. Fire everybody, hire somebody that has to start the whole process over. And then in 2 year, we can start the process of demanding that he is fired and do that a few times and look back and see a wasted 10 years.

Will is the QB for a reason, Sawyer isn't ready. Why would we ever want to put a top rated QB on the field before he is ready? Why would we want to start the whole process over again? This isn't a case where the coach is showing up drunk (Nebraska) or where a coach has allowed the program to pot and players are leaving practice early because they want to and breaking the eye socket of the starting QB in a fight.

This is a case of a total rebuild to what was needed on defense for a 3-3-5 and a offense that could not throw and catch with massive player issues (listed above). And he is in year 2 (yep.. Covid year doesn't count in my book). We went from 6-7 and being blown out in sec play by Auburn L56-23 , Ten L20-10, LSU L36-13, TAMU L49-30, and Bama L38-7 to competing will all of them but 1 (bama) with mainly Sophomores at the skill positions after having to get rid of players not buying in! LSU L by 3, TAMU won on the road, Ripped the heart out of Auburn! Beat UK. Lost to Ark by 3....

vCash
    [QUOTE=BlackSailsDawg;1449409]
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Axe to grind?

Like it or not, we are not Bama, UGA or LSU. You seem to demand perfection from a non perfect QB who was rated a 3 star. A QB that can not even get his picture on ESPN's page for MS ST Football. You, and some others, seem to demand that we have a national championship team now and do nothing to earn getting there outside of watching the game. Here is what we can do. Fire everybody, hire somebody that has to start the whole process over. And then in 2 year, we can start the process of demanding that he is fired and do that a few times and look back and see a wasted 10 years.

Will is the QB for a reason, Sawyer isn't ready. Why would we ever want to put a top rated QB on the field before he is ready? Why would we want to start the whole process over again? This isn't a case where the coach is showing up drunk (Nebraska) or where a coach has allowed the program to pot and players are leaving practice early because they want to and breaking the eye socket of the starting QB in a fight.

This is a case of a total rebuild to what was needed on defense for a 3-3-5 and a offense that could not throw and catch with massive player issues (listed above). And he is in year 2 (yep.. Covid year doesn't count in my book). We went from 6-7 and being blown out in sec play by Auburn L56-23 , Ten L20-10, LSU L36-13, TAMU L49-30, and Bama L38-7 to competing will all of them but 1 (bama) with mainly Sophomores at the skill positions after having to get rid of players not buying in! LSU L by 3, TAMU won on the road, Ripped the heart out of Auburn! Beat UK. Lost to Ark by 3....
    Holy F, dude. I didn't even blame will for the loss. The whole offense was trash, and yes, that includes will. Here's his stats for lsu...

24/42 214 yds (5.1 per att) 1 td 1 int
    41.1 QBR
    103.4 passer rating

That's horrible.

Even will would argue with you that he played well.

ETA... and who was favored in our game with lsu?
    Last edited by msstate7; 09-20-2022 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=msstate7;1449414]
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post

Holy F, dude. I didn't even blame will for the loss. The whole offense was trash, and yes, that includes will. Here's his stats for lsu...

24/42 214 yds (5.1 per att) 1 td 1 int
    41.1 QBR
    103.4 passer rating

That's horrible.

Even will would argue with you that he played well.

ETA... and who was favored in our game with lsu?
    I didn't say you blamed him for the loss. I said you seem to demand perfection from a non perfect 3 star QB who can't even get his picture on ESPN's MSU football page. It's just blank. I don't think anybody would argue that the team as a whole stunk it up. They collectively played bad!

vCash
    What Nebraska coach showed up drunk?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    What Nebraska coach showed up drunk?
    Maybe he's thinking texas' when he was at usc