Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optimism

vCash
    LSU was our "it's going to be a great season" test. We failed. But it can still be a good season. So, we've got to make up that game some how by winning our next 3 SEC games. We win vs A&M, Ark, & KY and we're good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    LSU was our "it's going to be a great season" test. We failed. But it can still be a good season. So, we've got to make up that game some how by winning our next 3 SEC games. We win vs A&M, Ark, & KY and we're good.
    Agreed.

vCash
    Yep , Rufus woulda got a huge chunk play there too. That was one of the plays I was talking about Will just not seeing the field.

vCash
    Throw the door open to this vaunted QB room for all the world to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Totally agree.

My concern is that LSU is the worst out of those 4 teams. Now, I thought we would go 3-1 in those 4 games and honestly I thought LSU was our easiest. So we haven't made it easy on ourselves, but that doesn't make it impossible.

My biggest issue is that I really thought we had turned the corner and started to run the ball more, but we stopped. Johnson and Marks combined for 16 carries for 100 yards and that includes two of the dumbest 4th down calls i've ever seen in my life.

That is over 6 ypc. We ran the ball a total of 4 times in the second half. F-O-U-R. That is despite having a lead until the 4th quarter.

All of those wanting to replace Will are just being irrational. If this is the offense we are running, he is perfect for it. I'm still not sold on it, but I'm giving Leach more rope this season. The concern i have is that the swing passes that will net us 7-8 yards this weekend, only got us 2-3 yards at best this past weekend. Teams weren't getting consistent pressure only rushing 3 or 4. LSU got pressure with both. I think KY and A&M have better defenses than LSU. Arkansas not so much, but Arkansas' offense is miles better than KY and A&M.

Very rarely do I think we were simply the better team in a game that we lose by 15 points, but I just think we are better than LSU. We simply made crucial mistakes and couldn't take advantage of the fact that LSU could not pass the ball until the 4th quarter.

We had 6 punts and 3 turnovers on downs and a pick. So 10 times out of 13 we either punted or turned it over, or failed to get it on 4th down. That is simply terrible offense. To put in context, FSU punted twice against the same team.

The defense did all they could in this game. Yes, I would have preferred a faster player to spy Daniels to end the half, but overall they did what they needed to do, until the end when they understandably quit. I am worried that A&M will be basically the same as LSU except with more defensive talent. If we can score 24 points, I think we beat A&M. If we can't, the season could go sideways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Totally agree.

My concern is that LSU is the worst out of those 4 teams. Now, I thought we would go 3-1 in those 4 games and honestly I thought LSU was our easiest. So we haven't made it easy on ourselves, but that doesn't make it impossible.

My biggest issue is that I really thought we had turned the corner and started to run the ball more, but we stopped. Johnson and Marks combined for 16 carries for 100 yards and that includes two of the dumbest 4th down calls i've ever seen in my life.

That is over 6 ypc. We ran the ball a total of 4 times in the second half. F-O-U-R. That is despite having a lead until the 4th quarter.

All of those wanting to replace Will are just being irrational. If this is the offense we are running, he is perfect for it. I'm still not sold on it, but I'm giving Leach more rope this season. The concern i have is that the swing passes that will net us 7-8 yards this weekend, only got us 2-3 yards at best this past weekend. Teams weren't getting consistent pressure only rushing 3 or 4. LSU got pressure with both. I think KY and A&M have better defenses than LSU. Arkansas not so much, but Arkansas' offense is miles better than KY and A&M.

Very rarely do I think we were simply the better team in a game that we lose by 15 points, but I just think we are better than LSU. We simply made crucial mistakes and couldn't take advantage of the fact that LSU could not pass the ball until the 4th quarter.

We had 6 punts and 3 turnovers on downs and a pick. So 10 times out of 13 we either punted or turned it over, or failed to get it on 4th down. That is simply terrible offense. To put in context, FSU punted twice against the same team.

The defense did all they could in this game. Yes, I would have preferred a faster player to spy Daniels to end the half, but overall they did what they needed to do, until the end when they understandably quit. I am worried that A&M will be basically the same as LSU except with more defensive talent. If we can score 24 points, I think we beat A&M. If we can't, the season could go sideways.
    The only positive is Max Johnston cant scramble as easily as daniels

Johnston is still mobile, he can get a first down on his feet but he isn't as fast.

Hopefully we go 3-0 on this home stretch..... We can but I just don't think we do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    The only positive is Max Johnston cant scramble as easily as daniels

Johnston is still mobile, he can get a first down on his feet but he isn't as fast.

Hopefully we go 3-0 on this home stretch..... We can but I just don't think we do.
    A&M's defense is good. Their offense is a mess. We should win. I don't love the matchup though. They can tackle in space and get pressure with just 3 guys. If we play like we did last year in College Station on offense, we get a W.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Here's a hot take. LSU blitzing like they did is going to be copied by other teams we play. But the silver lining is it's going to force Will to throw deep more. Hopefully that will build his confidence.
    With that pressure, he won't have time to throw long to our blanketed WR's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Pretty good assessment and I tend to agree ... we are capable and have enough talent to compete in those games but the question is which team will show up - the team that limits mistakes or the team that fumbles a punt on our own 6 yard line ... I felt like that fumble turned the momentum in their direction and pretty much won the game for them. Leach made some bone headed decisions and that causes me to wonder what kind of confidence Leach actually has in this team. Is it like He felt good enough about his offense to go for it on 4th down or was it something like he didn't have enough confidence in our defense to stop them? .... either way he made some questionable decisions that were very uncomfortable - yeah the first time we went for it inside our own 25 yd line paid off but that's a risk that I didn't think was worth taking. So I see your logic and agree that we are capable, but it's going to take better discipline on players AND coaches alike
    Brain freeze that a usually sure handed 6th year player even tries to field a punt inside our own 10. Try someone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Totally agree.

They adjusted to our 4 known running plays. They ran an unbalanced D line with 2 to 3 players on or outside our OT. We made no adjustments. Other future opponents saw this and will do the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    They adjusted to our 4 known running plays. They ran an unbalanced D line with 2 to 3 players on or outside our OT. We made no adjustments. Other future opponents saw this and will do the same thing.
    Yeah I'm hoping they draw up some new plays this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Here's a hot take. LSU blitzing like they did is going to be copied by other teams we play. But the silver lining is it's going to force Will to throw deep more. Hopefully that will build his confidence.
    I thought about this and i went back and watched our offense. Here is what LSU did:

Rush 3 - 17 times
    rush 4 - 30 times
    rush 5 - 2 times
    rush 6 - 2 times (one resulted in a TD, the other a big gain)

Most of the time they rushed 3, but if the RB stayed in to block, the LB came on a delayed blitz.

We didn't get beat by the blitz. We could not protect against a 3 or 4 man front consistently. I want teams to blitz us, when they do, big things happen. When they sit back and play zone or man - we struggle. LSU played a lot of man with 2-3 players playing zone. So each WR would have a man on them, and then they would have 3 additional guys in different zones. It was very effective.

vCash
    Yeah that LSU game totally knocked over my glass of milk and it?s shattered on the floor. So I don?t even have a glass half empty or full anymore. I cannot even fathom how y?all see us winning anymore games even if Ark, Aub, and Ky are beatable. We will always beat ourselves more than the other team will

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    7-5 is still on the table but 6-6 is what I?ve been expecting all along.
    I think 6-6 is on the table, and 7-5 is what I've been expecting all along. haha