Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something strange happened last night...

vCash

Something strange happened last night...

Yes, we expected to beat LsU, and we were favored, but it's not like LSU hasn't crushed our souls a zillion times. So what was it....why is there a different feel last night and this morning after losing to them in Death Valley? I have never received so many texts and seen so many posts from my MSU buddies saying "I'm done this time". Even the most optimistic kool aid drinkers that always think we're going 11-1 are saying they can't put themselves through it anymore.

What made last night the turning point for so many? I really do think last night caused a mass exodus off the Leach train, and may kill attendance the rest of the year as well. But why? Because we were favored? Because we should have won? Because this was supposed to be the big year? All the veterans? What is it? I never got on the Leach train and yet I'm still more pissed than normal too, and I just want to know what makes this loss in Baton Rouge such a dagger compared to years past where seasons went there to die.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 09-18-2022 at 08:24 AM.

vCash
    This season was our shot. Losing to a guy that our whole fanbase has spent the whole offseason saying was gonna be a disaster has to be sobering.

vCash
    It?s because we didn?t win a game the other team was trying to lose to us.
    For 3 quarters LSU was trying to lose that game and then we gave them life and the old LSU came back and throat stomped us.
    It?s one thing to lose a game, it?s another to lose a game that was yours for the taking.

vCash
    I think most of us are tired of losing to LSU and feeling like we always have our nuts shrivel up when we play the coonasses. Not sure why that is, but it's our reality. We are the better team and LSU is horrible this year. If they had even a remotely accurate QB the score would have been much much worse. To me this is the same feeling I had when I watched Croom coach us into oblivion for several years and why I became apathetic. That apathy is starting to set in again....

vCash
    I'm like you CD, I never bought in with the Air Raid, I don't dislike Leach, I just don't think he will win big like so many who drank the kool aid. I do think all the hype about a "veteran team" and winning 8-10 games in pre-season and now with this Lsu loss has most wondering and questioning.

As much as I like Will Rogers, I'm now wanting to see Sawyer get a chance, I just think with our O-Line not being very good, we need someone who can roll out and throw better on the run.

Not sure we see many changes, it's not the Pirates way, obviously we didn't adjust the second half at all. Dang being up 13-0 then betting blown out 31-3 hurts!!!

vCash
    Because we lost to a bad LSU team that is most likely going 7-5. We outplayed them in the first half

LSU did nothing special on offense , they played offense like a 13 year old would play madden , scramble with a running quarterback for 10 yards a play.

Daniels was their leading rusher??.

We just lost to a below average team when we had a 13 point lead with 1 minute left in the 2nd quarter and all the momentum ??

I?m not off the leach train just yet but will Rogers played like a low 3 star from Brandon high school. Which he is.

When are we as a program and fan base going to stop letting guys whose offer list looks like

Mississippi state
    Memphis
    Southern miss
    Tulane
    Louisiana tech

Be our starters?.. we are an sec team , we shouldn?t accept this.

vCash
    I think a lot of our fans convinced ourselves that this would be a special season, and now it's probably not going to be. It could still be an 8-4 type year, but we're not going 10-2 or anything like that anymore.

We just really, really wanted that win, thought we were going to get it, and thought it would be especially sweet to get it on the road at LSU. And what sucks on top of that is that to most LSU fans, we just another name on the schedule that they usually beat and assumed they would again. I don't think many of them were aware of the importance and expectations we were putting on the game. It was just another game for them with the expected outcome. I was at the game and did not get heckled once, because it was just a go-through-the-motions game for their fans, and it sucks so much that they were right.

We'll get over it though. This will dissipate, and we'll see this is nowhere near the level of disappointment as Florida 2018. Or Alabama 2014. Or those Egg Bowls (2015, 2017) that Mullen lost at home that cost us NY6 bids. Or losing the Egg Bowl while ranked #4 in the CFP rankings. Or the 3-2 game. Or losing to Louisiana Tech in 2008 and realizing that Croom's 2007 run was a fluke. Etc. Etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm like you CD, I never bought in with the Air Raid, I don't dislike Leach, I just don't think he will win big like so many who drank the kool aid. I do think all the hype about a "veteran team" and winning 8-10 games in pre-season and now with this Lsu loss has most wondering and questioning.

As much as I like Will Rogers, I'm now wanting to see Sawyer get a chance, I just think with our O-Line not being very good, we need someone who can roll out and throw better on the run.

Not sure we see many changes, it's not the Pirates way, obviously we didn't adjust the second half at all. Dang being up 13-0 then betting blown out 31-3 hurts!!!
    My thoughts exactly. And yes Give me a look at Sawyer. Will went into a shell last night and became Mr Checkdown. You don't beat the big boys by being scared. Gotta let her rip, and let the chips fall where they may

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    It?s because we didn?t win a game the other team was trying to lose to us.
    For 3 quarters LSU was trying to lose that game and then we gave them life and the old LSU came back and throat stomped us.
    It?s one thing to lose a game, it?s another to lose a game that was yours for the taking.
    This^^

But I expected a 6 win season going in so I’m not as crushed as some of you seem to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    This^^

But I expected a 6 win season going in so I’m not as crushed as some of you seem to be.
    The people thinking we were winning 10 had maroon glasses on. That was never ever in play.

vCash
    I think a whole lot of people have convinced themselves that LSU is a train wreck. When it boils down to it, LSU will always have a ton of athletes - especially at WR, DB and DE - and athletes well coached (and for all his faults, Brian Kelly has proven over time that he is a good coach) can take over games and win. And frankly, we don't have the athletes that LSU does. We have some good ones - but not in the volume of LSU. Everyone saw last night why we needed Nabors. Everyone saw last night how a guy like BJ Ojulari can take over a game.

LSU isn't a 12 win team - but they aren't a 6-6 team either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    The people thinking we were winning 10 had maroon glasses on. That was never ever in play.
    It's fact

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And yes Give me a look at Sawyer. Will went into a shell last night and became Mr Checkdown. You don't beat the big boys by being scared. Gotta let her rip, and let the chips fall where they may
    I agree with this as well. I love Will. But if sawyer knows the offense, you gotta see what he can do. Maybe he's over-hyped and will gets a fire lit under him to move around more. I see it like bringing tua in for that championship game.

vCash
    Is Sawyer even close to will? I know last year, word was Sawyer was horribly behind

vCash
    The problem is we have been told year 3 is the year for 3 years. I am now from MO, show me. And I will say again, our entire athletic dept. need a good sports psychologist to help approaching big situations. Usually we melt in those moments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    The problem is we have been told year 3 is the year for 3 years. I am now from MO, show me. And I will say again, our entire athletic dept. need a good sports psychologist to help approaching big situations. Usually we melt in those moments.
    I think this is kind of a myth ... I mean, in the offseason between 2020 and 2021 we all talked about how great "Year 2" is. Year 3 at Washington State was 3-9 for Leach. Maybe in a few month, it will all be about "Year 4."

Remember, I'm the biggest Leach fanboy here, so this isn't an attack. I just think there is an extremely small sample size to be making observations about what happens in what year, and we just shouldn't bother.

vCash
    I wonder if other schools experience the same feelings we have. Like does Kentucky ever say, "I wonder if we will find a way to Kentucky this game tonight?" Like we always seem to go into games with that monkey on our shoulder where something strange happens or we can never get in sync and we lose those WTF games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    I wonder if other schools experience the same feelings we have. Like does Kentucky ever say, "I wonder if we will find a way to Kentucky this game tonight?" Like we always seem to go into games with that monkey on our shoulder where something strange happens or we can never get in sync and we lose those WTF games
    I know their fans were crushed after our game with them last year. It cost them a NY6 bowl and also their very outside shot at making the CFP. It was one of those games where they kinda expected to win and felt like they were the better team, but new that their program had a knack for not winning those games. Pretty good parallel to last night really.

vCash
    This offense needs a good dual threat QB. Leach is running the ball more but it needs another dimension with a dual threat guy.

I hope Leach gives Sawyer the entire second half of the BG game to find out what he can do.

Sawyer has supposedly really gotten good over spring and fall. It's time to see it.

Dropped passes from his receivers aside Will made some really bad decisions last night. The stage was just too big for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I think this is kind of a myth ... I mean, in the offseason between 2020 and 2021 we all talked about how great "Year 2" is. Year 3 at Washington State was 3-9 for Leach. Maybe in a few month, it will all be about "Year 4."

Remember, I'm the biggest Leach fanboy here, so this isn't an attack. I just think there is an extremely small sample size to be making observations about what happens in what year, and we just shouldn't bother.
    Please review posts from this board and from talking heads for last 3 years. Not attacking you either, just stating facts.