View Poll Results: Trade Leach for Mullen tomorrow?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 40.00%
  • No

19 42.22%
  • F that Yankee

9 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If someone gave you the choice tomorrow...

vCash

If someone gave you the choice tomorrow...

If someone gave you the choice tomorrow to trade Leach for Mullen and Mullen had a "can't look elsewhere" clause in his contract.....would you take him back?

Poll above
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 09-17-2022 at 11:57 PM.

vCash
    No, but I would be happy to re-evaluate the question after the season.

Mullen's 7.1 wins regular season average doesn't really seem like an upgrade over Leach right now, but maybe I'll think differently then.

vCash
    Absolutely. I?d trade him right now without such clause.

vCash
    The 2nd Version of Dan will be I'll love it here and retire here. And I'll hire a recruiting Guru and let him/her get the players I need so I can just concentrate on coaching.

vCash
    Dan really was a perfect for our fans.

Ran the ball all the time.

Scared of Alabama.

Untra conservative.

Acted like recruiting didn't really matter.

Dan didn't do any better at Florida than he did here once he got "his players in". Think about that.

vCash
    Does he get to bring back Hev and the rest of the country club?

vCash
    I'd take Mullen every day prior to 2015. I wouldn't want him now.

vCash
    No thanks. Mullen will always hate recruiting, take time off from recruiting priorities, and be emotionally aloof about his job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    No thanks. Mullen will always hate recruiting, take time off from recruiting priorities, and be emotionally aloof about his job.
    Not saying I disagree, but....you are aware who our current coach is, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Someone who isn't going to leave for anything other than retirement

Eta - in the end, it may not make any difference one way or the other. The fact of the matter is Lane Kiffin is in Oxford and we don't know for how long, and it's a problem.
    Last edited by Bothrops; 09-18-2022 at 12:57 AM.

vCash
    Yeah I was somewhat joking since Leach isn't exactly a recruiting machine, and is quite aloof in general. Carry on

vCash
    And who?s currently class is ranked 39th and number 12 out of 14 SEC teams in 2023 recruiting. Certainly there are a half dozen coaches looking for a P 5 job who can do that without leaving their living room. Leach is playing with G5 talent right now. Might as well bring in a G5 Coach and see what he can do with it. Can?t be worse than getting shitstomped by the worst LSU team since Curly Hallman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    And who?s currently class is ranked 39th and number 12 out of 14 SEC teams in 2023 recruiting. Certainly there are a half dozen coaches looking for a P 5 job who can do that without leaving their living room. Leach is playing with G5 talent right now. Might as well bring in a G5 Coach and see what he can do with it. Can?t be worse than getting shitstomped by the worst LSU team since Curly Hallman.
    We are going to lose to LSU from now on, might as well forget them and be a sacrificial lamb like with Bama. LSU is going to improve. Anyone without a destination job would struggle recruiting here. Perhaps a portal savvy guy could help, but depth wise, nah. It isn't 2014 anymore or even 2019 anymore. We can't get what we used to get.

vCash
    We are going to lose to LSU from now on, might as well forget them and be a sacrificial lamb like with Bama. LSU is going to improve. Anyone without a destination job would struggle recruiting here. Perhaps a portal savvy guy could help, but depth wise, nah. It isn't 2014 anymore or even 2019 anymore. We can't get what we used to get.
    Honestly we have underserved football recruiting so much under several coaches I'm not sure what our real ceiling is. But it's probably a little bit higher. If we can get our NIL in gear we might be able to keep most of the top players in state- but to be honest the key there IMO is to massively overpay to keep them in Mississippi. Not sure how realitic that really is either to be honest with you.

We need to start planting seeds for recruiting in the form of football trainers and things like that- which is what baseball does and also what Ole Miss has with Espy and Shay. Things like that make a big difference. Especially with kids that are on the fence and didn't grow up in MSU households.

Also, let's not forget that things are about to massively change in college football. Especially in the SEC. Scheduling is going to change soon and we're not likely to be playing Alabama every year anymore- or LSU either. I'm sure we'll still play some elite teams- it is the SEC. But the time for us to strike when the iron is hot is going to increase for us very soon. And could lead to some really special seasons for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Also, let's not forget that things are about to massively change in college football. Especially in the SEC. Scheduling is going to change soon and we're not likely to be playing Alabama every year anymore- or LSU either. I'm sure we'll still play some elite teams- it is the SEC. But the time for us to strike when the iron is hot is going to increase for us very soon. And could lead to some really special seasons for us.
    We will just trade losses to LSU and AL for losses to TX and OU. I know....TX is not great and we may not get those 2 every year but we will always have a mix of teams on the schedule better than us. We will always be a 6 to 8 win school. Tilted more to the 6 win side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    We will just trade losses to LSU and AL for losses to TX and OU. I know....TX is not great and we may not get those 2 every year but we will always have a mix of teams on the schedule better than us. We will always be a 6 to 8 win school. Tilted more to the 6 win side.
    We'll usually be a 6-8 win school when we have a good coach like Mullen or Leach (or a bad coach like Moorhead when he has players a good coach left him), but there are plenty of coaches out there who can't get us to that level.

Mullen is absolutely my first call if we need a new coach, but many of the same people who spent the Mullen Era wishing he was gone are the ones who wanting him back now, and they're also the same people who will want Leach back during our next coach's tenure.

vCash
    We'll beat Oklahoma as often as we currently beat Texas A&M and we'll beat Texas as often as we currently beat Kentucky. Both of those programs have a history of dropping games against less talented teams, and that's without SEC schedules for them.

vCash
    Will Rogers is a bad quarterback but we didn?t help him with receivers dropping 1st down passes and a right tackle that was getting bullied by a NFL edge rusher.

We have to beef up offensive line recruiting and get a new more mobile QB

I don?t want Mullen , I?d rather have Hugh freeze , liberty is horrible but they are consistently in games against power 5 and good g5 teams , just like yesterday . They lost to wake forrest and Sam Hartman by a point

Hugh freeze > Dan Mullen by a lot

When auburn gets Hugh freeze in December , within the next 2 years he will win 10 games and beat Alabama .

vCash
    We gotta start buying croots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Love you Cav, but there is nothing wrong with Leach.

Teams are paying 2 to 3 times the amount we are and getting no better results.

Lane being in Oxford isn't an issue. We have to be better at purchasing players. Our defense is improved, but it comes down to lack of speed at the edges. This game was a collective attempt to lose it. Muffed punt, dropped passes, not attempting to go deep, bad calls on offense and defense.

The next question is how do we respond to this.