Thread: LSU Game

vCash

LSU Game

1) Will Rogers was scared shitless tonight. He's made bad pre snap reads (4th down handoffs to stacked boxes) bad post snap reads (Int), been indecisive, stared down his man, threw it harder than he needed too many times, had sloppy footwork, and was inaccurate. Some of that was point 2) and 3), but I thought he was better than this. I'm really shocked at how mentally weak Will was.

2) our RT got DESTROYED all game and we did NOTHING to help. Preseason we talked about Dolla Bill- well he looked like Cross, and Jones looked like Greg Eiland. Leach never once adjusted and they routinely got to Will very quick with just 3 rushers.

3) I haven't seen this many drops since the first year under JoMo. The WRs can catch better than this, we've seen that the last 3 seasons. That means the drops tonight are mental- our entire WR corps is mentally weak and was intimidated by an unranked LSU.

4) our defense is the WORST I've seen in years at getting pressure. Literally Peter Sermon bad. Our DL does nothing except not get shoved out of the way on run plays. Thats it, that's the extent of he positives. Not "they are good run stoppers", but "they don't get blown up on run plays so the LBs can clean things up".

5) Arnett, were are the creative blitzes from year 1? I can predict every blitz we bring pre snap. And it's like we intentionally blitz at a free blocker- no overloading the A gap, bringing a CB off the edge while the OT is engaged, or stunting to create a blitz lane. Just Wheat and/or Jett telegraph blitzing the guards as our 3 unathletic DL go up against the OTs and OC they lined up against.

6) LSU had WRs free ALL NIGHT. If they had a QB they'd have won by 30. I do not know if that's A) us getting out schemed, B) our secondary blowing assignments, or C) LSU just being more athletic. But they dominated our secondary all night.

7) Jett, Bookie, Tyrus... these are physical LBs that know what they're doing, but there is not an athletic freak among them. We cannot get around a block when blitzing, and we cannot spy a fast QB because they just aren't fast enough.

8) That FR kick returner looked damn good. Maybe now that our "sure handed" option just made the worst muff I've ever seen, we'll let him return it more.

9) Arnett knows he can't get pressure, knows his secondary isn't full of NFL guys... so his strategy is to 1) stop the inside run with physicality, 2) protect from the deep ball, 3) hope that a CB will fight through a block and blow up a WR screen to put them behind the chains. Well, in the 2nd half LSU figured out that we give them 8 yard passes, and if the QB waited 3 seconds he could run with nobody to stop him. Arnetts strategy usually works because it's college- QBs miss throws, WRS do miss blocks, and so if you take away the big play or easy inside runs the drive stalls out eventually. But LSU had the mobile QB that invalidates this plan.

10) We really did look less athletic tonight at nearly every position. It sucks to watch Nabors make plays against us knowing that the only reason he's not in maroon is $$$ and we will never be able to change that. We will always have the players we need be bought from us, and maybe that's why the team is so intimidated by the LSU's- "If I was as good as their players, why didn't they try to buy me too?"

11) You know, I see a lot of posters come out of the woodwork to crap on Leach and say this will enver work... I don't remember those usernames in last years A&M, NC Stat, Kentucky, or Auburn postgame discussions. Strange how 1 bad loss at LSU = "this will never work, I told you so" but they didn't feel like having a discussion when we win. Weird.

Leach has a WTF loss every season. The team shat the bed, and not faces a choice: Fold, or grow up. if we play clean football we can beat all but Bama and UGA. Will we? Probably not, but we are not a 6-6 team either

vCash
    This is year 3 the year everything is supposed to click. We've been told that for 3 years, just wait. Well we are here and we still look like Ned and first reader on O against an SEC D.

If you can't beat or compete against this LSU team with your best team, when are you?

Just wondering when the accountability of the results will be acknowledged by folks?

The Leach preachers told us over and over that Leach is the only way we can compete and beat blue bloods. So is this the Croom plan where it takes 10 years to install the O? The O works but it must be "clean" to win? Any O will work if it is executed perfectly but guess what none are.

You also have to gameplan for your strength against your opponents weakness and vice versa. We don't do that, we say we do what we do we just gonna do it perfect. We can't even execute a PAT in year 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    This is year 3 the year everything is supposed to click. We've been told that for 3 years, just wait. Well we are here and we still look like Ned and first reader on O against an SEC D.

If you can't beat or compete against this LSU team with your best team, when are you?

Just wondering when the accountability of the results will be acknowledged by folks?

The Leach preachers told us over and over that Leach is the only way we can compete and beat blue bloods. So is this the Croom plan where it takes 10 years to install the O? The O works but it must be "clean" to win? Any O will work if it is executed perfectly but guess what none are.

You also have to gameplan for your strength against your opponents weakness and vice versa. We don't do that, we say we do what we do we just gonna do it perfect. We can't even execute a PAT in year 3.
    Saying "leach is the only way we can compete against the Blue Bloods" is not the same as saying "Leach will routinely beat the blue bloods". Anyone who said he would is an idiot.

How many times did Mullen beat elite teams? He'd beat a LSU or A&M or Auburn when they were down, but he never beat them when they were actually good. or any actually good team.

Leach does beat actually good teams, the tradeoff is that he looses to bad teams too, like this LSU team.

Name me a single coach in State history that had us "clicking" and not loosing to LSU at LSU by year 3 of their tenure? Literally a single coach.

Fact is, we've ever had a coach get us "clicking" except for a once every 2 decades 10 win team. Mullen averaged just over 7 wins- was that "clicking"? His 10 win season was in year what, 6? Not 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    1) Will Rogers was scared shitless tonight. He's made bad pre snap reads (4th down handoffs to stacked boxes) bad post snap reads (Int), been indecisive, stared down his man, threw it harder than he needed too many times, had sloppy footwork, and was inaccurate. Some of that was point 2) and 3), but I thought he was better than this. I'm really shocked at how mentally weak Will was.

2) our RT got DESTROYED all game and we did NOTHING to help. Preseason we talked about Dolla Bill- well he looked like Cross, and Jones looked like Greg Eiland. Leach never once adjusted and they routinely got to Will very quick with just 3 rushers.

3) I haven't seen this many drops since the first year under JoMo. The WRs can catch better than this, we've seen that the last 3 seasons. That means the drops tonight are mental- our entire WR corps is mentally weak and was intimidated by an unranked LSU.

4) our defense is the WORST I've seen in years at getting pressure. Literally Peter Sermon bad. Our DL does nothing except not get shoved out of the way on run plays. Thats it, that's the extent of he positives. Not "they are good run stoppers", but "they don't get blown up on run plays so the LBs can clean things up".

5) Arnett, were are the creative blitzes from year 1? I can predict every blitz we bring pre snap. And it's like we intentionally blitz at a free blocker- no overloading the A gap, bringing a CB off the edge while the OT is engaged, or stunting to create a blitz lane. Just Wheat and/or Jett telegraph blitzing the guards as our 3 unathletic DL go up against the OTs and OC they lined up against.

6) LSU had WRs free ALL NIGHT. If they had a QB they'd have won by 30. I do not know if that's A) us getting out schemed, B) our secondary blowing assignments, or C) LSU just being more athletic. But they dominated our secondary all night.

7) Jett, Bookie, Tyrus... these are physical LBs that know what they're doing, but there is not an athletic freak among them. We cannot get around a block when blitzing, and we cannot spy a fast QB because they just aren't fast enough.

8) That FR kick returner looked damn good. Maybe now that our "sure handed" option just made the worst muff I've ever seen, we'll let him return it more.

9) Arnett knows he can't get pressure, knows his secondary isn't full of NFL guys... so his strategy is to 1) stop the inside run with physicality, 2) protect from the deep ball, 3) hope that a CB will fight through a block and blow up a WR screen to put them behind the chains. Well, in the 2nd half LSU figured out that we give them 8 yard passes, and if the QB waited 3 seconds he could run with nobody to stop him. Arnetts strategy usually works because it's college- QBs miss throws, WRS do miss blocks, and so if you take away the big play or easy inside runs the drive stalls out eventually. But LSU had the mobile QB that invalidates this plan.

10) We really did look less athletic tonight at nearly every position. It sucks to watch Nabors make plays against us knowing that the only reason he's not in maroon is $$$ and we will never be able to change that. We will always have the players we need be bought from us, and maybe that's why the team is so intimidated by the LSU's- "If I was as good as their players, why didn't they try to buy me too?"

11) You know, I see a lot of posters come out of the woodwork to crap on Leach and say this will enver work... I don't remember those usernames in last years A&M, NC Stat, Kentucky, or Auburn postgame discussions. Strange how 1 bad loss at LSU = "this will never work, I told you so" but they didn't feel like having a discussion when we win. Weird.

Leach has a WTF loss every season. The team shat the bed, and not faces a choice: Fold, or grow up. if we play clean football we can beat all but Bama and UGA. Will we? Probably not, but we are not a 6-6 team either
    This is a extremely accurate post. I will admit tho I didn't foresee #1 point of your post coming. When LSU QB burnt us deep on 4th and 2 I saw it coming ... and we should've done the same thing 2 or 3 times earlier (and I was screaming for it) when we ran it on 3rd or 4th and short against stacked boxes. In the damn Air Raid no less. It's like Will got run happy or something. At end of game I was wondering if Will had gotten hit early on and gotten gun shy or something and didn't wanna stand in the box. To me he did look kinda rattled some in 2nd half. LSU D line has good size and is fast. LBs are fast. They lay the lumber to you too.

Right tackle did kill us. Marks whiffing on blocking didn't help either.

Our D line is just average and I can't understand how our fans have thought our D is so very good. We have average speed at best in front 6 on D. And we have no stud D lineman. We don't have a D lineman that is even close to in the same league as Preston Smith, Chris Jones, or Jeff Simmons/Montez Sweat. We really could use one of those type of guys now. When our D really puts out effort as a unit, they can be pretty good, but when they relax (like they did to end the half), that's the result we get. And they tend to relax when we score points way too often, especially if we're up 2 scores or more. That's alright against opponents like last 2 teams we played but it ain't against LSU, or Arky last year, etc.

I damn sure don't understand the drops (5 in all I think). I guess Death Valley got to them or something. The throws weren't right on the mark but all should've been caught. All were drive killers (at least 2 maybe 3 for 1st downs). And Austin deserves the criticism he's getting. He's muffed 2 punts in last 4 games now going back to last year's bowl game (that cost us too ... score was 10-7 at the time). I wouldn't put him back out there unless there is an injury to Zavion. If he muffs a punt, I could live with it cause he's returning them for 20 yds plus a pop.

When we have 2 auto losses on our schedule, I'm not sure how folks can believe we'll win 10 games. Especially when we've only had like 3 or those in our history. 9 maybe but not 10. 8 more likely at best. We'd have to be perfect against everyone else for 10 wins ... highly improbable especially for us. It just makes no sense to think we can run the table against everyone else. Especially with this team. And then tonight happens.

LSU is better than folks think. They have good size and a lot of speed. I think they will make some noise in the West and may come in 2nd. Depends on QB consistency and the Oline too IMO. The Oline is suspect.. We got some pressure tonight (not like we should've) but they play a RS Frosh at C and a true Frosh at LT. Other teams should get more pressure on their QB than we did. LSU D could turn out really good. They're fast.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 09-17-2022 at 09:58 PM.

vCash
    8 wins and beat OM. 8 wins and loss to OM I will be upset

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    8 wins and beat OM. 8 wins and loss to OM I will be upset
    8 wins means we need to beat three of the following:

Ark, A$M, Kentucky, Bears

Assuming we beat AU and lose to UGA and Bama.

I guess it?s possible, but most of those teams have more talent than LSU this season.

vCash
    We could win all of those

vCash
    Why cant we start buying players to a lesser extent. I know we got some filthy rich alum in flowood that own multiple companies.

Can Dak throw us a bag and help us get a 5 star QB and a couple 5 star Offensive lineman?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

I guess it?s possible, but most of those teams have more talent than LSU this season.
    I'm not sure those teams have more talent than LSU. Ain't nobody else impressing me so far this season. I haven't been watching everyone like I usually do but LSU's speed looked faster tonight than what I've seen from anyone else so far. And their speed literally killed us. LSU played pretty darned good in 2nd half. They played tough, didn't wilt, and I believe their speed and athleticism eventually wore us down. We don't have their overall speed and athleticism.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

If our defense can?t stop LSU rushing the ball, try stopping Zach evans .

vCash
    Yes we could but we won't win any of them from what I have seen. 4-8 and cut bait, time for a new AD and coach

vCash
    Or lose all of those. 50/50

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Saying "leach is the only way we can compete against the Blue Bloods" is not the same as saying "Leach will routinely beat the blue bloods". Anyone who said he would is an idiot.

How many times did Mullen beat elite teams? He'd beat a LSU or A&M or Auburn when they were down, but he never beat them when they were actually good. or any actually good team.

Leach does beat actually good teams, the tradeoff is that he looses to bad teams too, like this LSU team.

Name me a single coach in State history that had us "clicking" and not loosing to LSU at LSU by year 3 of their tenure? Literally a single coach.

Fact is, we've ever had a coach get us "clicking" except for a once every 2 decades 10 win team. Mullen averaged just over 7 wins- was that "clicking"? His 10 win season was in year what, 6? Not 3.
    I just repeated what the Leach folks been saying for 3 years.

If you can't see the obvious issues in Leach's approach then I can't help you. Been discussed over and over and displayed again last night and in every game we play an SECD.

BTW the reason why you don't hear criticism of Leach when we win is because True Maroon Bulldogs want their team to win. We'll take it any way it comes. Which is why after these pathetic showings it is obvious it ain't gonna work and yes we want something to change. It can be Leach changing but we know that ain't gonna happen. We love MSU, Leach lovers love Leach; they defend Leach after embarrassing failures. That is the difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I'm not sure those teams have more talent than LSU. Ain't nobody else impressing me so far this season. I haven't been watching everyone like I usually do but LSU's speed looked faster tonight than what I've seen from anyone else so far. And their speed literally killed us. LSU played pretty darned good in 2nd half. They played tough, didn't wilt, and I believe their speed and athleticism eventually wore us down. We don't have their overall speed and athleticism.
    ^^^ This. LSU overwhelmed our players and offense tonight. Especially in the 2nd half when they began to lay the lumber.

vCash
    In the end, talent prevailed tonight. Our trenches are not good enough to have a statue qb and play against a mobile qb. I am intrigued what Leach is going to do with Parson but we may not get that far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    In the end, talent prevailed tonight. Our trenches are not good enough to have a statue qb and play against a mobile qb. I am intrigued what Leach is going to do with Parson but we may not get that far.
    Can we quit pretending that weighing 345 lbs qualifies someone to play tackle in the SEC? Those are very specialized positions these days. We take big guys play them at guard, move them to tackle, etc. and pretend everything is going to be fine.

vCash
    Yep. They put their best man on our weaker tackle and it paid off. Will didn’t have a lot of time and he can’t escape. We are not talented enough in either trenches. We don’t have a difference maker.