Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've Officially Jumped Ship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    I'm not going to pile on the current coach or praise a past coach. In just looking at this current team, we have some glaring issues. Our LB's are slow. Teams that utilize speed side to side will kill us. This is mostly why Ole Miss has been beating us. We have ZERO pass rush. Our mostly 3 star and occasional 4 star DL is not getting it done. Having an offense that does not utilize a mobile QB is bad. Two problems here. Our current starter is the slowest person I've ever seen and our coach will not utilize a mobile QB (if we had one). I don't have problem with the offense, but damn, if we had a QB that could keep it and run at least 5 times a game, things would open up more for the WR. And the WR's can't catch a damn cold. So many crucial drops.

1) Mobile QB with some occasional runs
    2) Pressure the QB with better DL
    3) Faster LB's
    4) WR's who can catch a pass

We are a 6-6 team at best. If we had those above, we are a 10-2 team.
    #1 is the biggest problem. It just is and people will defend Will like he's their son. But damn if you look around the country it seems like everyone from Alabama to East New Mexico A&M has a QB that can scramble out of the pocket when the pocket collapses, look downfield , decide whether to throw or run for positive yards. We are the only school in the SEC that cant do that and its like trying to run with a Cinder Block Chained to your leg.

vCash
    I have defended Will many many times on this board but the 4th down running plays when LSU was clearly sending more than we were guarding with is hard to defend. Leach says he called that but I thought it was the qbs job to adjust, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they were looking for us to run on the 2nd and 3rd 4th downs we went for

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I may have reading comprehension issues, but I think y?all both just made the point about Mullen being a good coach. How you ask?

He took an offensive line that Croom brought in that was absolutely destroyed by most opponents in 2008, and these eyes witnessed in person that Oline getting run slap over in the 48-0 2008 Egg Bowl where State had negative rushing yards and less than 150 total yards of offense, and with the help of a pedestrian Oline Coach, turned them into NFL quality linemen in less than 2 years! They weren?t talented, but they became talented under Mullen.
    Mullen is absolutely a good developer of talent and talent evaluator(and great qb developer). Not a good recruiter or ingame coach. He would make a great analyst for someone. As a head coach he has a ceiling. He'll beat who he's supposed to beat and lose to the better teams, you can set your watch by him.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 09-19-2022 at 10:56 AM.

vCash
    If we rehired Dan Mullen I would no longer support Mississippi State University athletics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman15 View Post
    I have defended Will many many times on this board but the 4th down running plays when LSU was clearly sending more than we were guarding with is hard to defend. Leach says he called that but I thought it was the qbs job to adjust, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they were looking for us to run on the 2nd and 3rd 4th downs we went for
    Yeah those 2 4th down plays killed us. We convert those and we're on our way to a comfortable victory. Leach has said he only signals in the play but the QB has the freedom to change it, in fact I remember him telling Minshew "You're the one on the bleeping field, you're looking face to face with the bleeping defense, change the bleeping play!" It was a simple matter of counting. 7 in the box on both those plays, 5 blockers and we ran right into the strength of the defense on both plays. And if Will would've kept the ball on those 2 plays he could've run forever, but teams know he's never gonna pull it so they just ignore him.

And I like Will, he just needed to make some better calls at the los in those situations. It happens, but if you're gonna beat the teams in the sec you can't have those screwups in game situations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah those 2 4th down plays killed us. We convert those and we're on our way to a comfortable victory. Leach has said he only signals in the play but the QB has the freedom to change it, in fact I remember him telling Minshew "You're the one on the bleeping field, you're looking face to face with the bleeping defense, change the bleeping play!" It was a simple matter of counting. 7 in the box on both those plays, 5 blockers and we ran right into the strength of the defense on both plays. And if Will would've kept the ball on those 2 plays he could've run forever, but teams know he's never gonna pull it so they just ignore him.

And I like Will, he just needed to make some better calls at the los in those situations. It happens, but if you're gonna beat the teams in the sec you can't have those screwups in game situations.
    Yep, it gave Lsu life and kinda drained any momentum we had in our running game. Tell me a tight end couldn't help in those situations and a full back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    This shirt probably makes Millions of dollars per year for Alabama
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 09-19-2022 at 12:04 PM.

vCash
    Mullen is absolutely a good developer of talent and talent evaluator(and great qb developer). Not a good recruiter or ingame coach. He would make a great analyst for someone. As a head coach he has a ceiling. He'll beat who he's supposed to beat and lose to the better teams, you can set your watch by him.
    You got that right. He is now an analyst for a college football network broadcast team and he did it to himself.

vCash

Not forever, he would have quickly been caught from behind with LSU's speed, but 1st down yardage would have been easily obtained.

vCash
    With the NIL money and portal don't you think this would make someone like Mullen obsolete now? It's all about play me now with these guys. Just think the portal and NIL will stop a lot of developing players now. I hope not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Not forever, he would have quickly been caught from behind with LSU's speed, but 1st down yardage would have been easily obtained.
    You're right about that, forever was way over the top, lol! But definitely couldve picked up 4-5 yards. Of course one could argue 4-5 yards for Will is forever, lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    With the NIL money and portal don't you think this would make someone like Mullen obsolete now? It's all about play me now with these guys. Just think the portal and NIL will stop a lot of developing players now. I hope not.
    There'll always be a place for a great talent evaluator and developer. I'm just not sure Dan's really interested in doing it anymore. He's happy with his little gig as an analyst, which doesn't require much time, and following Cannon around the golf course. I don't think he has the drive left to do it anymore. Speaking of Cannon have you seen that boy? His legs and arms look like toothpicks. That kid is scrawny.

vCash
    There'll always be a place for a great talent evaluator and developer. I'm just not sure Dan's really interested in doing it anymore. He's happy with his little gig as an analyst, which doesn't require much time, and following Cannon around the golf course. I don't think he has the drive left to do it anymore. Speaking of Cannon have you seen that boy? His legs and arms look like toothpicks. That kid is scrawny.
    LOL, yeah there's not much meat on his bones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Developmental football is dead in the NIL, play me now, or I hit the portal world. We will lose several after this year win or lose. One thing the NCAA doesn't acknowledge if the high % of these transfers who are not finding a landing spot and thus no continued educational opportunity on scholarship. Most of these guys won't sniff the NFL and are blowing a life changing opportunity,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Developmental football is dead in the NIL, play me now, or I hit the portal world. We will lose several after this year win or lose. One thing the NCAA doesn't acknowledge if the high % of these transfers who are not finding a landing spot and thus no continued educational opportunity on scholarship. Most of these guys won't sniff the NFL and are blowing a life changing opportunity,
    Yup, this NIL opened up a can of worms. We won't know the lasting effects of this for a while. Long ago education was still somewhat of a priority with athletes and universities. I just hope people smarter than us are looking at solutions.

vCash
    Dan will be back in college football, he's only in his 50's. Once his kids grow up and get older he will definitely want to get back in the game.

maybe at a lower tier power 5 job like a Duke or Kansas or Vanderbilt and he can make them a 6-6 team and they would be happy with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Dan will be back in college football, he's only in his 50's. Once his kids grow up and get older he will definitely want to get back in the game.

maybe at a lower tier power 5 job like a Duke or Kansas or Vanderbilt and he can make them a 6-6 team and they would be happy with that.
    With his ego, he would never settle for those you listed. He has plenty of $ and will wait for a desperate, pretty big name school who needs a big name coach. Hail State!

vCash
    Amen! He's gone and he screwed us when he left.
    And he is NOT coming back. Neither party is interested in the other. I seriously doubt Dopey Dan would even take a phone call from Cohen.

vCash
    Leach may not be the guy but he isn't the main problem. We don't have the $$$ or fan support to consistently compete for sec west titles. We are actually overachieving in football relative to what is spent on football yearly.

Jimbo fisher just about makes more than our HC, OC and DC put together. You can say money isn't the issue but look at who usually wins championships and how much money goes into the recruiting budget etc. we are 13th in recruiting spending in the SEC. Several teams spend 4-5 times what we do on recruiting. Ole miss is a good bit further ahead in this category as well.

We usually finish somewhere between 25-35 in recruiting and we usually finish somewhere around there in rankings at seasons end and usually finish ahead of where we should in the SEC.

Not saying Leach isn't part of the problem, I don't know. What I do know is

1. A revolving door at the HC position is rough on blue bloods it's going to be exceptionally harder for us

2. We don't have the fan base or monetary booster support to compete for a west championship regularly. Best case every 3-5 years we have a team that can win 9-10 games. We are fortunate the state of Mississippi produces some elite football talent otherwise we'd be even worse off.
    Last edited by BB30; 09-20-2022 at 06:45 AM.

vCash
    We're only three games into the season way too early to be jumping ship. Let's get to game 7 or 8 and then re-evaluate. I would like to see Sawyer get in there and see what he has to offer.
    Last edited by Gypsy_RoadDawg; 09-20-2022 at 07:11 AM.