Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok?.so after 2 games I?m not sure if we?re as good or just fortunate

vCash
    I agree. Wins vs Memphis and on the road v a P5 opponent, I can say we are better than we were last year. I don't know how the rest of the year will play out but....we will have a winning season for sure.

Changes from last year, it seems to me that State executes on offense much better. Memphis and AZ both tried to sit back in the 3-drop 8. However, Rogers and WRs have improved so much that they pick that defense apart. If I remember correctly, both Memphis and AZ had to resort to more 4 man rushes and blitzes to slow us down. AZ adjusted to our run game later in the game. Regardless, we are forcing teams to commit more rush because they know Rogers will pick them apart otherwise.

I think we improved in that we faced a little adversity with missed PATs, turnovers and penalties but still able to over come those obstacles. We have to clean that up for SEC play. However, I like the left footed kicker.

My one worry is speed on the front 6/7 on defense. Do we have enough speed to get the QB on the ground and make open field tackles vs the SEC. We will see next week as we face LSU one read and run QB. ALso, the opponents DLs will only get better. Can we continue to hold our own along the LOS and give Rogers time?
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 09-11-2022 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    Memphis and AZ both tried to sit back in the 3-drop 8. However, Rogers and WRs have improved so much that they pick that defense apart. If I remember correctly, both Memphis and AZ had to resort to more 4 man rushes and blitzes to slow us down.

Yes sir. When that's all you see, it's what you are use to. Now, that doesn't work for opponents as much. At the beginning of Rogers first year and into the 2nd year, we could see him develop the eye for it. This year he is off to a great start with it. Even more so, the OL! Credit where it is due.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    The second half started after 12 Mississippi time. It had to have an effect on their brains during the game. Then playing football adding to the tiredness.
    Tucson's altitude is about 2400 feet, which has a certain effect, added to two time zone changes and playing what would be a late game in our own time zone.