vCash

Pitch Timer Coming

MLB 2023

15sec or 20sec with ROB

Batter must be in box within 8sec and gets only 1 timeout

When pitch is released must be 2 IF on both sides of 2B

All IF must be within IF dirt while P is on rubber

How long before this comed to college?
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    MLB 2023

15sec or 20sec with ROB

Batter must be in box within 8sec and gets only 1 timeout

When pitch is released must be 2 IF on both sides of 2B

All IF must be within IF dirt while P is on rubber

How long before this comed to college?
    not sure about college ... But I like it ... I only wish they had added a maximum number of throw overs from the pitcher
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I must say, I like all these changes. And I rarely do.

vCash
    Kind of takes the leisure out of the game.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I must say, I like all these changes. And I rarely do.
    I personally hate banning the shift. But I'm a baseball purist. Hit em where they ain't. If I want all 7 of the other fielders in a huddle in right field then that should be my choice. The clock is what it is. Adhering to pace of play complaints. But baseball isn't a TV sport and never was meant to be. It's a social sport. The world just ain't built for that no more though. At least that doesn't control the dollar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I personally hate banning the shift. But I'm a baseball purist. Hit em where they ain't. If I want all 7 of the other fielders in a huddle in right field then that should be my choice. The clock is what it is. Adhering to pace of play complaints. But baseball isn't a TV sport and never was meant to be. It's a social sport. The world just ain't built for that no more though. At least that doesn't control the dollar.
    Agree with you on all this. Not a big fan of manfred and his continued, tinkering with everything, but I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    If you are a purist then you should know games used to be played in 2 hours and they didn't have 3B in RF.

vCash
    Banning the shift is a fu?king joke. Baseball is dead.

vCash
    If you are a purist then you should know games used to be played in 2 hours and they didn't have 3B in RF.
    The shift has existed since the 1800s. It's just modern players like ***** Gallo who feel entitled to just hit like they want to instead of where fielders aren't that has brought this nontroversy on.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Maximum number of throw overs would benefit the runner too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Banning the shift is a fu?king joke. Baseball is dead.
    Shifts have been around since baseball began. If you ban infield shifts do you now also ban outfield shifts, or outfielders from playing deep or shallow, or no doubles defense or infielders playing in for bunts or plays at the plate(imagine how many more runs this would create), or infielders from playing double play depth? manfred like to tinker to much.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 09-09-2022 at 01:05 PM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Little known fact, the only 2 players required to be at a special location for baseball to be able to be played is the batter in the box and a pitcher on the rubber. All other players, including the catcher do not have to be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Shifts have been around since baseball began. If you ban infield shifts do you now also ban outfield shifts, or outfielders from playing deep or shallow, or no doubles defense or infielders playing in for bunts or plays at the plate(imagine how many more runs this would create), or infielders from playing double play depth? manfred like to tinker to much.
    That's a straw man argument No one is arguing for what you posted.

vCash
    They used the shift at least as far back as Ted Williams, and probably further. But, it wasn't commonplace because most hitters would beat the shift. Hitters have traded knowing how to hit for bat flips and HR.

As for time - games were shorter - but 800 pitching changes + 15 cup and batting glove adjustments + TV commercials means 4+ hours means games have even gotten too long for us purists. Frankly, I have yet to understand why networks are willing to show soccer games and NASCAR with no/or limited interruptions and we can't do the same for football and baseball. It's always made TV baseball games longer and now it is infecting football even more.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    They may not be exactly arguing that word for word, but the actual arguments are equally bad. Shifting is an inherent part of baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    They used the shift at least as far back as Ted Williams, and probably further. But, it wasn't commonplace because most hitters would beat the shift. Hitters have traded knowing how to hit for bat flips and HR.

As for time - games were shorter - but 800 pitching changes + 15 cup and batting glove adjustments + TV commercials means 4+ hours means games have even gotten too long for us purists. Frankly, I have yet to understand why networks are willing to show soccer games and NASCAR with no/or limited interruptions and we can't do the same for football and baseball. It's always made TV baseball games longer and now it is infecting football even more.
    When I go back and watch old baseball games, other than about 10 pitchers, it looks like absolute meat. It's really fcking hard to "hit it where it's pitched" these days.

You are preaching to the choir on commercials. Beware of college football if they keep a running clock on first downs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I would have murdered a shift if a team had ever played one on me. I was a RH pull hitter, but could bunt like a maniac. If anyone had ever pulled the 2B over to the left side of the IF, I'd have push bunted past the pitcher right where the 2B was supposed to be - then I'd steal 2B on the next pitch just to piss them off more. I just don't get why players can't or won't take advantage of the shifts.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    When I go back and watch old baseball games, other than about 10 pitchers, it looks like absolute meat. It's really fcking hard to "hit it where it's pitched" these days.

You are preaching to the choir on commercials. Beware of college football if they keep a running clock on first downs.
    I know spin rates and velo have "changed" the game - but no one is even trying. You have the 3B in RF - BUNT THE DAMN BALL, 3B IS WIDE OPEN!
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Naw, just give it time. I've watched manfred change to much already. And folks always say "no one is arguing for that" until it actually happens.

ETA and I may be using some hyperbole, but other changes will be made, that shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 09-09-2022 at 01:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I would have murdered a shift if a team had ever played one on me. I was a RH pull hitter, but could bunt like a maniac. If anyone had ever pulled the 2B over to the left side of the IF, I'd have push bunted past the pitcher right where the 2B was supposed to be - then I'd steal 2B on the next pitch just to piss them off more. I just don't get why players can't or won't take advantage of the shifts.
    This. If players would do this more often, the would beat the shift themselves without someone having to change the rules for them.