Thread: Deer Valley VS Park City

vCash

Deer Valley VS Park City

Let?s hear it ??. Planning family trip at Christmas time. Thanks I?m advance

vCash
    Same place essentially they are both very close to each other. Park City is cheaper, Deer Valley is ski only and very nice but you may need to book tickets in advance as they limit the number of lift tickets sold for each day.

I tore my ACL at Deer Valley in 2019 and still need to go under the knife to get it repaired.

vCash
    Thank you. We have been to Vail and Steamboat over the years but want to try a new spot. Any information about the area is appreciated.

vCash
    They are both great, but very different. As a ski-only family, we love being away from snowboarders, so prefer DV. It's not that there is anything inherently wrong with them, and I love to see people having fun no matter what they like, but when you are skiing and a snowboarder skids twenty yards behind you it sounds like they are coming in for the crash. All day long.

Other factors: Park City is much, much larger. If you want to explore, it's a better choice. We ski 95% blues and only the occasional black, but I suspect PC is better for experts. Both are great for intermediates with plenty of terrain to keep you interested for 4-5 days. If you are there that long, consider a day trip to the other one to mix it up.

Ski in ski out access--PC much better, but they are both very expensive. DV makes up for not really having any affordable ski in/out by having a very convenient ski storage system and large locker rooms right outside the main lift area.

Organizationally--DV is much better set up for getting around the mountain. Park City is so big and disjointed that you really need to focus on just one area/one peak per day. At DV, you can traverse back and forth all day long looking for shorter lines or wide open runs. And DV lift lines are much shorter. You will rarely wait more than 5-10 minutes after the morning rush at the base.

Food is a push unless you have real specific tastes. We usually like to ski when everyone else is piling in to the lodges so we don't care too much about on-mountain food. People who care about that generally prefer DV.

Actual access to Park City for nightlife--again a push. It's right there.

Ski school--DV hands down.

Ikon pass=DV Epic pass=PC. Look into them. Depending on how many days you ski, a pass can be cheaper than day tickets. But a pass might tempt you to go back out there for President's Day or Spring Break, so buyer beware.

You can't go wrong. Hope this helps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    Let?s hear it ??. Planning family trip at Christmas time. Thanks I?m advance
    Are you rich? If so, go to DV and stay at the Montage. Trust me.

Want more terrain, PC. One note about that. Getting over to the Canyons side takes a long time. Canyons is weird to get around. I like the far north side of Canyons.

I?m guessing Christmas can be hit or miss on snow coverage, but I?ve never been at that time.