Thread: Preston Johnson

vCash

Preston Johnson

Just heard he had TJ surgery.

vCash
    What's that? 5 or 6 guys over the last year? Damn I love our pitching coach.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    What's that? 5 or 6 guys over the last year? Damn I love our pitching coach.**
    Pretty sure it was the 4th TJ surgery from last year's pitchers, plus we had two pitchers who were hurt but no surgery, both are throwing now.

I wouldn't blame it on our pitching Coach, there are reason many have injuries, and it causes problems later in their careers. Way too much travel ball and overthrowing at young ages, but that is just me and my thoughts. But if you play sports long enough, sometimes in one's career an injury will occur, some are serious some can be fixed. Lord knows, I had my share of injuries with broken bones, surgery and pulled muscles......not all were caused from Coaches, LOL.

vCash
    i tend to agree but does this happen to other teams with similar number of occurrences ? ... I only ask because it does seem a little disproportionate
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    i tend to agree but does this happen to other teams with similar number of occurrences ? ... I only ask because it does seem a little disproportionate
    I'm pretty sure it happens to most teams across the country, to me, kids today concentrate on one sport, this didn't happen much in my day. Don't get me wrong, some could only play one sport, but the difference now is kids that only play say baseball, play it all year long. I think a lot of this goes back to parents living a kids dream, but I realize times have changed.

I have no problem with say travel ball, but take some time off and rest your body, I'm thinking more of the pitchers than the everyday players. Also, I think kids who work with say pitching coaches or hitting coaches will develop better than just playing ball all year long.

vCash
    We had 7 when Wes Johnson was here. Hes been at ark, the bigs and now lsu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm pretty sure it happens to most teams across the country, to me, kids today concentrate on one sport, this didn't happen much in my day. Don't get me wrong, some could only play one sport, but the difference now is kids that only play say baseball, play it all year long. I think a lot of this goes back to parents living a kids dream, but I realize times have changed.

I have no problem with say travel ball, but take some time off and rest your body, I'm thinking more of the pitchers than the everyday players. Also, I think kids who work with say pitching coaches or hitting coaches will develop better than just playing ball all year long.
    Can’t give rep, but NAILED IT. I am a firm believer that travel ball is the number ONE reason for injuries in 17-20 year old kids. ESPECIALLY when they have been specialized since 12 and year round playing. I know there are exceptions but 70 percent of travel ball coaches don’t pay attention to young arms like they should. The second biggest problem for these kids are THE PARENTS THAT ALLOW IT…. The arm/shoulder are not designed for 12 months of throwing year after year ESPECIALLY at ages less than 16 when growth plates are becoming fixed.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Dr Andrew?s and other notable orthopedists have written articles explaining why year round baseball is a detriment on kids. People ignore it.

vCash

Bingo! Many parents don't choose travel organizations based on development, they choose based on success of winning $5 rings every weekend. When we chose one for our son we focused more on development (they're still pretty good but don't abuse the pitchers). For fall ball, kids throw one bullpen on Wednesday supervised by a legit pitching coach focusing on mechanics, limited to 40-50 pitches on a weekend, have arm care routine after each outing, and do not throw a ball between mid-October and mid-January (focus is on rest and band work/strength). In the spring, they gradually work up to 80 pitches on a weekend but once they go over about 30 pitches for an outing they're done (I.e. they won't pitch again regardless if their day is 31 pitches or 80). They've lost some tournaments they could've won because of this but the coaches understand the bigger picture. (This is 14u and 15u ball...but overall philosophy has been the same since 10u, pitch counts have increased as they've gotten older).

Not sure if this is the right way or not, but it seems reasonable, intentional, and more focused than what I've seen with other teams over the years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Can’t give rep, but NAILED IT. I am a firm believer that travel ball is the number ONE reason for injuries in 17-20 year old kids. ESPECIALLY when they have been specialized since 12 and year round playing. I know there are exceptions but 70 percent of travel ball coaches don’t pay attention to young arms like they should. The second biggest problem for these kids are THE PARENTS THAT ALLOW IT…. The arm/shoulder are not designed for 12 months of throwing year after year ESPECIALLY at ages less than 16 when growth plates are becoming fixed.
    Don?t disagree - I?ve seen a kid in 9u that was topping out at 61 and about the 3rd inning he started to complain about his arm hurting - both his mom and coach told him to suck it up and grind through it for his team

I have two that play - one spring and fall - going into 11u - he throws and hits 3-5 days per week in off season - intensity and volume of throws is managed - he takes time off from the mound - he?s never thrown more than 50-55 pitches in an outing - his team has taken out its best pitcher in a championship game because he hit his pitch count - team has 10 kids - 9 pitch because the focus is on development and protecting arms

I have another going into 14u (8th grade) playing school ball, summer and fall ball

school ball even with pitch rules is a effing joke - 7th grade season of school ball and first spring on big field - 182 pitches plus catching in a 7 day period

Max pitches in high school (AL)
    7/8th - 85 daily max (3days rest)
    9/10th -100 daily max (3days rest)
    11/12th 120 daily max (days rest)

Any pitch count over 76 requires 3 days rest - you can bet your ass there are hs coaches that will throw a kid 75 pitches and bring him back on 2 days rest - I?ve seen it at middle school level - I?ve seen a high level 8th grader trotted out to pitch 4x in 7 day period

That just doesn?t happen with reputable travel programs

vCash
    Not saying MSU but hasn't there been guys to do it to make arm stronger not because they had the injury?

vCash
    Travel ball is a lot of the issue. But truthfully if parents were really worried about developing their kid, they would have them in church on Sunday morning instead of at the ballfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Travel ball is a lot of the issue. But truthfully if parents were really worried about developing their kid, they would have them in church on Sunday morning instead of at the ballfield.
    I tried to rep but I have to spread it around some more.

vCash
    Pretty sure it was the 4th TJ surgery from last year's pitchers, plus we had two pitchers who were hurt but no surgery, both are throwing now.

I wouldn't blame it on our pitching Coach, there are reason many have injuries, and it causes problems later in their careers. Way too much travel ball and overthrowing at young ages, but that is just me and my thoughts. But if you play sports long enough, sometimes in one's career an injury will occur, some are serious some can be fixed. Lord knows, I had my share of injuries with broken bones, surgery and pulled muscles......not all were caused from Coaches, LOL.
    I hear travel ball as being a culprit but really wonder now that I think about. Like the DR, those kids only play baseball and they ply and throw year round.

vCash
    Also, Cuba those kids are specializing at 13 or so like most all communist countries do with sports.

vCash
    I'm not sure what the cause is for us but it seems like we have had an excessive amount of arm injuries. I hope MSU is looking into why and corrects whatever the cause is.

Arm injuries happen. But not to an entire pitching staff.