Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Rogers Arm Strength

vCash
    We have some self proclaimed football guys on this board that are mad at a QB for throwing to a wide open RB rather than throwing it down field to covered WRs. Think about that for a second. Which one is more difficult? What world does that make sense in?

vCash
    How do will's numbers on passes 10-20 yards and 20+ yards compare to the rest of the qb? My guess would be pretty good, especially considering he is throwing against 6-8 defenders every play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    We have some self proclaimed football guys on this board that are mad at a QB for throwing to a wide open RB rather than throwing it down field to covered WRs. Think about that for a second. Which one is more difficult? What world does that make sense in?
    Some of this discussion is just an annoying pissing contest between big egos.

But for the sake of a discussion, is there a middle ground position that is not about passing to covered wr just for the sake of it, but rather finding vertical plays within the scope of the offense to open up the 2-3 yards that allow the running backs and underneath routes to receive and turn in open space vs getting blown up?

He showed late in games against AU and Ark last year that he can open up the offense vertically when he has to, and when he does it is hard to stop.

vCash
    and a LOT of us understand he's doing exactly what he's coached to do ... and understand that he is our guy from a stable full of 4-star QB's behind him
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    How do will's numbers on passes 10-20 yards and 20+ yards compare to the rest of the qb? My guess would be pretty good, especially considering he is throwing against 6-8 defenders every play.
    I?ll add that State had 10 explosive passing plays (longer than 15 yards) for a total of 242 yards with four resulting in touchdowns. That?s over half of Wills yards in explosive plays. I think it might get watered down some due to the volume of passes that aren?t 15+ yards.

Edit: https://hailstate.com/news/2022/9/4/football-postgame-notes-memphis-at-mississippi-state.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I?ll add that State had 10 explosive passing plays (longer than 15 yards) for a total of 242 yards with four resulting in touchdowns. That?s over half of Wills yards in explosive plays. I think it might get watered down some due to the volume of passes that aren?t 15+ yards.

Edit: https://hailstate.com/news/2022/9/4/...ppi-state.aspx
    Just to add a bit to that - he had 19 pass plays that gained more than 10 yards. So half of his completions gained 10+ yards, and half of those went for more than 15. I don't really care that none of those went for 40 yards or more. I'll take yards in chunks of 10-15 yards all day long. http://cfbstats.com/2022/leader/911/...32/sort01.html
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Haters gonna hate. They don't like Leach and our offense so Will's gonna take the heat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    and a LOT of us understand he's doing exactly what he's coached to do ... and understand that he is our guy from a stable full of 4-star QB's behind him
    Good post.

vCash
    Anybody questioning Wills ability at this point is laughable. He's gonna make mistakes at times but he is freaking good at what he does. There is no question he will get drafted, just depends on the year at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Just to add a bit to that - he had 19 pass plays that gained more than 10 yards. So half of his completions gained 10+ yards, and half of those went for more than 15. I don't really care that none of those went for 40 yards or more. I'll take yards in chunks of 10-15 yards all day long. http://cfbstats.com/2022/leader/911/...32/sort01.html
    And if that continues everybody will be happy as a clam. I personally think it was from playing a bad football team.

We were 9th in the SEC last year of 20+ plays and 13th in 30+. We'll see if that improves this season. It should.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Maybe he doesn?t have the strongest arm in the league but his accuracy is the best we?ve ever had and it?s not close.

For me it?s similar to how people use to complain about Fitzgerald. Maybe there are areas where he is not as good as others, but his best traits often do not get enough credit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Maybe he doesn?t have the strongest arm in the league but his accuracy is the best we?ve ever had and it?s not close.

For me it?s similar to how people use to complain about Fitzgerald. Maybe there are areas where he is not as good as others, but his best traits often do not get enough credit.
    This is a pretty good assessment! Fans will go out of their way to make sure to put as much blame on him as they can like we could do better. The kid will own every passing record there is when he lives here and he plays above his talent level week in and week out. I have frustrations with Leachs system but I don't let that boil over onto the players that are asked to run it. If Will was at Ole Miss, we would all hate him.