Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers Arm Strength

Banned
    vCash

Will Rogers Arm Strength

It's been about two days since the game thread and not a single Noodle Arm comment in sight. Almost like the kid needed time to grow up. 3 Long TD strikes that had zip. Several tight window throws with heat on them. Zero ED posters calling out his arm. A career high in passing yards. Elite depth at the receiver position.

If Will's arm looks this good the rest of the year, he's a Day 2-3 draft pick.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    He is never going to throw a 60 yard bomb, but if he throws the ball on time like the one to Ducking, there is literally nothing else that matters.

That is 100% a touchdown almost every single time.

vCash
    Will needs to develop a pump fake like drew breeze did without a cannon it is very effective.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    He is never going to throw a 60 yard bomb, but if he throws the ball on time like the one to Ducking, there is literally nothing else that matters.

That is 100% a touchdown almost every single time.
    Not everyone is Brett Favre. Drew Brees made a lot of money. Those throws on the money to Ducking, Harvey, and Robinson deep and accurate are what you want. The extra arm strength is gravy. Throws like the Walley TD are the tight window throws w/ zip that you need. NFL scouts watch this game tape with his first real ~normal~ offseason of college training and nothing prior, he's looked at as an emerging young NFL talent. Who knew S&C might matter lmao

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Will needs to develop a pump fake like drew breeze did without a cannon it is very effective.
    He's picked up the progressions better and faster. A good pump fake with your arm makes you elite, but it has to be built on moving the defense with your eyes. He clearly worked on moving safeties and zones w/ his eyes this year. But yes, a pump fake added can take it from good to great.

vCash
    Arm is too strong.....he over threw (walley i think) a wide open receiver many yards down the field.********

vCash
    NFL scouts and execs value different things in a QB differently than MSU fans. A lot of MSU fans want someone with Nick Fitzgerald's skill set. NFL wants someone that is accurate, can read defenses, and lead a team. Arm strength and mobility are luxuries outside of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Brees had a plus arm till he got old

vCash
    Although I prefer a arm that can beat a team anywhere on the field, you can be a really good college qb with an arm that isn't very strong (see Danny wuerrfel)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah Brees had a very strong arm until
    age got him. When I look at how strong a qbs arm is I want to see how he delivers a deep out from the far hash and is it on a line or does it float. That's what separates nfl qbs from good college qbs.

vCash
    QB "arm strength" is a little over-emphasized. Nearly every college QB has enough arm for verts and crossing routes. The throw I could never make is the out route to the sideline from the opposite hash; those are the throws that end up as Pick-6's for guys who don't have elite arms.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah Brees had a very strong arm until
    age got him. When I look at how strong a qbs arm is I want to see how he delivers a deep out from the far hash and is it on a line or does it float. That's what separates nfl qbs from good college qbs.
    Great minds and all that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    QB "arm strength" is a little over-emphasized. Nearly every college QB has enough arm for verts and crossing routes. The throw I could never make is the out route to the sideline from the opposite hash; those are the throws that end up as Pick-6's for guys who don't have elite arms.
    Bingo! If you can't make that out throw you won't be an nfl qb. If you watched Peyton Manning his last few years when his arm was gone all he threw were dig routes, crossers or fade type routes. Nothing to the outside because he couldn't make that throw anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Great minds and all that.
    Definitely 2 great minds at work!

vCash
    Let's get into the season and play some big boys before we start crowing. He is very accurate up to 20 yards. Lets see him deliver vs some SEC teams down the field
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    It's been about two days since the game thread and not a single Noodle Arm comment in sight. Almost like the kid needed time to grow up. 3 Long TD strikes that had zip. Several tight window throws with heat on them. Zero ED posters calling out his arm. A career high in passing yards. Elite depth at the receiver position.

If Will's arm looks this good the rest of the year, he's a Day 2-3 draft pick.
    He looked good, but let's slow our roll, in two weeks, and on 1 October, we'll get a good reading.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 09-05-2022 at 08:19 PM.

vCash
    "Strength" is a little bit of a misnomer when you are talking about throwing, I would bet a brand new $20 dollar bill that Rogers can throw a football farther than any of the O-linemen.
    But, I cant think of a better word to describe it myself.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 09-05-2022 at 07:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Even then Brees was most known for his accuracy and leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Let's get into the season and play some big boys before we start crowing. He is very accurate up to 20 yards. Lets see him deliver vs some SEC teams down the field
    That's a positive though. Because that's going to be the majority of the throws we're going to attempt and that's usually going to yield a first down. We're only going to throw it deep probably no more than 4-6 times a game if I had to guess. That's the case with a lot of offenses.

vCash
    Only 2 bad plays by Will on the night that he would love to have back. (The INT was on Calvin)

The overthrow of Walley was disappointing.

Wally did a great job on that route beat 2 defenders and had 2-3 strides on them. If he connects on that pass, we are talking 500+ passing yards and 6TDs

And the lateral I wish he could have seen the DL jumping the route and pump faked prior to the throw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Only 2 bad plays by Will on the night that he would love to have back. (The INT was on Calvin)

The overthrow of Walley was disappointing.

Wally did a great job on that route beat 2 defenders and had 2-3 strides on them. If he connects on that pass, we are talking 500+ passing yards and 6TDs

And the lateral I wish he could have seen the DL jumping the route and pump faked prior to the throw.
    Agreed! That overthrow is so annoying. Will is probably still killing himself on that throw. Watching his postgame interview gives me wool. He was frustrated after setting career high record and that?s good to see. I hope he connects with Walley on that throw a few times this game. They both deserve it.