Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game 1 Thoughts from an amateur

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

Game 1 Thoughts from an amateur

Good Outcome.
    We won the opener through terrible weather delays.

Did we look good doing it, no.
    Did our defense leave much to desire, yes.
    Our team looks a bunch like our team last year. They just cannot stand on someone?s neck. Just another game where we took basically an entire quarter off. It will cost us one, maybe two games. Zero pass rush, but may have been the scheme trying to eliminate rush yards. Except the last 30 minutes Memphis was doing whatever they wanted.

So, game 1 down. Not much else left to say about our team. They looked haphazard the entire second half. Just A bunch of meh. Hopefully it was the defensive scheme that kept our DL and our blitzes from touching the QB. Hopefully we can get more air on punts. Hopefully we can actually kick balls out of the endzone.

1-0, is what we needed and we got it. This type of play gets us to 6-6. Maybe we can get better this week.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Look guys, we won big. We could have put up 70 if we wanted to. All of these criticisms are made only because what I am seeing doesn?t get us to where we need to be. We have to learn how to finish people off. We cannot continue only playing 2.5 quarters of games. I am glad we basically handled Memphis, but I am seeing exactly the same problems as last year, and last year was 6 games away from where we want to be.

vCash
    SEC Football Final has failed showing our game highlights and have not mentioned us even in jest.

vCash
    It?s like some of you don?t watch other SEC games and realize everyone has flaws.

I think we?re a good team that fell asleep after a 2 hour rain delay and stepping in their throat to begin the 3rd quarter.

That wasn?t close to a 6-6 caliber team on the field tonight. Most explosive we?ve been at WR in our lifetimes, OL was good, and the defense has the right pieces.

Good game to learn from tonight though

vCash
    I see both sides.

The guy who has watched and been a fan of Mississippi State for 35 years, understands why some are going to give you shit for criticizing a big opening game win.

But, the guy that wants to see us climb the mountain to the top of the SEC, agrees that without cleaning up things like the second half and demanding excellence even when up big, knows we'll never be more than a 6-9 win team. Some will be satisfied with that....I can live with that...but only if it's what our potential can achieve. If we could be a 10+ win team by Leach and Co demanding perfection, but are a 7 win team bc Leach allows the team to take a quarter and a half off each game...I'm not cool with that. And nobody else should be either.

1-0. Hope we play a full 4 Q's next week and get a road dub.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I see both sides.

The guy who has watched and been a fan of Mississippi State for 35 years, understands why some are going to give you shit for criticizing a big opening game win.

But, the guy that wants to see us climb the mountain to the top of the SEC, agrees that without cleaning up things like the second half and demanding excellence even when up big, knows we'll never be more than a 6-9 win team. Some will be satisfied with that....I can live with that...but only if it's what our potential can achieve. If we could be a 10+ win team by Leach and Co demanding perfection, but are a 7 win team bc Leach allows the team to take a quarter and a half off each game...I'm not cool with that. And nobody else should be either.

1-0. Hope we play a full 4 Q's next week and get a road dub.
    Good points

vCash
    Our receivers are hitting spots and running good routes, defense ran to the ball, we actually ran the ball some. It's like y'all expect us to be Georgia without having Georgia talent. We played well, we won the game, and the other team never had a chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It?s like some of you don?t watch other SEC games and realize everyone has flaws.

I think we?re a good team that fell asleep after a 2 hour rain delay and stepping in their throat to begin the 3rd quarter.

That wasn?t close to a 6-6 caliber team on the field tonight. Most explosive we?ve been at WR in our lifetimes, OL was good, and the defense has the right pieces.

Good game to learn from tonight though
    No doubt about it. Our OL played pretty dang good today. And when our receivers were allowed more than 2 yards down field they did really well. Jett Johnson looked good out there as well.

I only make comments because these items are what is holding us back from getting to 10 wins. We can beat everyone on our schedule, but not if we re only playing 2.5 quarters of games. Sure today had two hours worth of delays, but this is not the first time this has transpired either. I just go into games believing that we will go 22 and a half minutes where we literally do not execute on both sides of the ball. Of course today we didn?t play tempo either.

Either way, I am happy with the win and I am damn glad the boys shut down the Memphis team after what happened last year at Memphis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    No doubt about it. Our OL played pretty dang good today. And when our receivers were allowed more than 2 yards down field they did really well. Jett Johnson looked good out there as well.

I only make comments because these items are what is holding us back from getting to 10 wins. We can beat everyone on our schedule, but not if we re only playing 2.5 quarters of games. Sure today had two hours worth of delays, but this is not the first time this has transpired either. I just go into games believing that we will go 22 and a half minutes where we literally do not execute on both sides of the ball. Of course today we didn?t play tempo either.

Either way, I am happy with the win and I am damn glad the boys shut down the Memphis team after what happened last year at Memphis.
    The rain delay I think caused much of that. We came out of the delay and stepped on their throat and then packed it in.

It?s not acceptable but it is understandable.

Banned
    vCash
    SEC Football Final has failed showing our game highlights and have not mentioned us even in jest.
    Just mentioned the SEC has 13 Wins so far.

Does that count Vandy's two games?

vCash
    Stayed for the whole game. I think we have good depth and talent at WR. Still worried about lack of pass rush and safety play in pass game. If second string D was in on long TD run and pass play, worried about our depth. Impressed with OL and improvement of Dolla Bill. If we can do it, kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs! Stop the TD celebrations. Focus and play 4 quarters. Still happy with the win, but put your foot on the throat of the opposition and put them away when you can. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 09-04-2022 at 03:09 AM.

vCash
    Shotgun, Memphis had the same rain delay but they came out shooting, but we didn't. You made LordMcBukethead's point. Taking time off is never acceptable.

vCash
    As far as the pass rush Memphis ran a lot of quick hitches and roll out passes tonight. Those types of passes typically aren't conducive to getting sacked.

I thought we did a good job of generating pressure. I'm giving it an incomplete at this point.

vCash
    Out of curiosity, what makes you think Leach isn't demanding excellence when up big(not being sarcastic, generally curious). Played college and professional baseball albeit a completely different sport but all of the coaches that I had "demanded" excellence regardless of the score. Didn't mean we didn't let teams slide back into a game when we were up big on occasion.

It's difficult to stay mentally focused when you're up 4-5 scores at the half, especially when you sat through a 2 or 3 hour rain delay after being jacked up to play in front of a good crowd to open the season and then come out and nobody is there, weather is nasty, you're playing exceptionally late etc.

I think one thing that helps saban and his teams come out with a killer instinct is that if you don't, you'll be replaced by someone just as talented as you. The competition in house keeps those guys going. We don't have quite that type of luxury. Our best players are as talented as some of bamas best, our depth isn't close to what bamas is.

Not making excuses for them, they shouldn't let that happen and hopefully it will improve at some point. Simply stating it's dang hard to get 18-22 year olds to do what they need to 100 percent of the time. We've seen it under jackie, Dan and now leach. If you watch just about anyone not named bama they have the same issues at some point in the season.

Look at the om game, ky game, Texas a and m, etc. there were a pile of games like ours.

vCash
    Good Outcome.
    We won the opener through terrible weather delays.

Did we look good doing it, no.
    Did our defense leave much to desire, yes.
    Our team looks a bunch like our team last year. They just cannot stand on someone?s neck. Just another game where we took basically an entire quarter off. It will cost us one, maybe two games. Zero pass rush, but may have been the scheme trying to eliminate rush yards. Except the last 30 minutes Memphis was doing whatever they wanted.

So, game 1 down. Not much else left to say about our team. They looked haphazard the entire second half. Just A bunch of meh. Hopefully it was the defensive scheme that kept our DL and our blitzes from touching the QB. Hopefully we can get more air on punts. Hopefully we can actually kick balls out of the endzone.

1-0, is what we needed and we got it. This type of play gets us to 6-6. Maybe we can get better this week.
    What the hell game you watch? That was a solid game. We fell asleep with a big lead and still kicked their ass. We can't beat two teams on our schedule. We should have a shot vs the rest. Damn, some you piss in your own cereal just to bitch.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 09-04-2022 at 05:06 AM.

vCash
    We better hit the portal for defense for next year. I thought the d looked great when starters were in most of the time. When we put in non starters, it was very weak. Complete off the cliff drop off. When we tried, we did whatever we wanted on offense. The first half, I?m not sure Will got touched. Receivers looked good too.

vCash
    Lord knows I love to be critical, but I thought we looked outstanding. What sucks though is the whole sec looks good.

De Laura looked really good at qb for Arizona today. If this was an indication of what type of year he's gonna have, we probably got our hands full next week starting a game at 10 central.

ETA... will's decision making was outstanding for the overwhelming majority of the game, but he did make a couple throws I don't want him making vs sec secondaries
    Last edited by msstate7; 09-04-2022 at 06:55 AM.

vCash
    We looked dang good. Got the first game out of the way with a good result. They're going to watch a lot of film and correct some things. Good win.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    We looked pretty damn good yesterday. Carry on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    ETA... will's decision making was outstanding for the overwhelming majority of the game, but he did make a couple throws I don't want him making vs sec secondaries
    The only thing I was extremely displeased with was the fumble on the batted swing pass and the bubble screen to Tulu right before it. Those are two pick sixes in the SEC, and the former was a horrendous playcall after they'd demonstrated an aggressive attempt to jump a flats route just one play prior.