Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: *** MSU vs. Memphis - Revenge Game Thread ***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Pretty much the same team as last year, but a couple more receivers in the mix. No sacks and no picks against Memphis comes out to about 2-6 in the SEC and we may lose in Tucson next week.
    If we're "pretty much the same team as last year" we shouldn't drop from 4-4 to 2-6

vCash
    No sacks is at least interesting considering they threw it 30 times and we had a big lead. I'm not gonna freak out about it after 1 game, but we will need to be better in that area for sure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    No sacks is at least interesting considering they threw it 30 times and we had a big lead. I'm not gonna freak out about it after 1 game, but we will need to be better in that area for sure
    We may not have had any sacks but we had pressure on the guy all night. That's why the QB who was .4 yards from leading the AAC in yards per game as a true freshman last season went 18 of 29 with 162 yards - barely half of what he averaged last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    We may not have had any sacks but we had pressure on the guy all night. That's why the QB who was .4 yards from leading the AAC in yards per game as a true freshman last season went 18 of 29 with 162 yards - barely half of what he averaged last year.
    We were credited with a sack

vCash
    Good. I didn't check to see - point still stands

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is one of the best opening games I've seen us play. Very disciplined, very few penalties. Sure we lost some focus after we got the big lead but that was about 5 hours into game that should've already been over. Yeah it sucked to see us give up some points at the end but all in all it was a great start to the season.
    This.

vCash
    I thought Ducking had a good game. Soft hands.

vCash
    Pickering had a sack. Did people just not watch the game but decide to bitch about things that didn’t happen, but yet, did?

Banned
    vCash
    This is one of the best opening games I've seen us play. Very disciplined, very few penalties. Sure we lost some focus after we got the big lead but that was about 5 hours into game that should've already been over. Yeah it sucked to see us give up some points at the end but all in all it was a great start to the season.
    Best opener we've played since we 49-0'd USM in 2014. (2020 LSU was more about Bo Pelini being an idiot offensively and the bad throws by KJ were apparent. Silly me thought it meant the sky was the limit because he had a bad game passing for 600 yds.)

People on this board need to temper expectations. First games always have some kinks to work out. Imagine if we only threw for 150 yards against Troy. Imagine if we gave up 16 to an FCS team. Imagine if we let memphis actually hang around like arkansas did Cincy. Imagine if we threw multiple bad INTs to an FCS team.

The rest of the SEC West struggle bussed yesterday (outside of Tuscaloosa). By all measures, we looked like the second best team that played in our division.

vCash
    At the end of the day we beat a team like 26 that beat us last year so I'll take it. Going to be a lot of close games this year

Banned
    vCash
    We got a sack to stop the first Memphis drive of the game lmao.

Banned
    vCash
    Our first goal to go play call was a run for a 3 yd gain.
    Our second goal to go play call was a tight window throw for a TD. Great timing / read by Will.

The ducking cross body throw is something where Leach just practices 4 verts all practice every 6 or so practices. I like it because I trust our guys more than most, but yea in a vacuum that's a bad throw. You don't make it on Sundays for sure. Probably not against Bama / Georgia. But tbh, we'll need plays like that to go our way to win those, so it's nice to see guys like Ducking and Robinson able to win deep "**** it he down there somewhere" passes.

Our third goal to go play call was a DPI.
    Our fourth goal to go play call was a fade to Ducking, could have been DPI again.
    Our fifth goal to go play call was an out to Austin Williams that was stopped at the 1 inch line lol.
    Our sixth goal to go play call was a dive for a TD.

Banned
    vCash
    The punter for Memphis, Joe Doyle was a former Tennessee Volunteer. I don't know where it was in the thread but the announcer phrased it weirdly when he punted to Austin to make it seem like he was talking about Austin.

Banned
    vCash
    Our seventh goal to go play was a stick route our WR slipped on. Rufus makes an easy TD catch if he keeps his footing. (Here comes the rain doomer comment)

Our eighth goal to go play was a DPI.

Our ninth goal to go play was an overthrown fade (on 1st & 2 mind you). Just barely out the back where either we get it or no one does.

Our tenth goal to go play was the speed option lol. 1 yd gain. Memphis did their homework.

Our eleventh goal to go play was a 3rd & 1 dive TD run.

I'm not seeing where people should be mad about our goal line playcalling.

vCash
    We actually had one sack last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yeah the guy was hearing footsteps all night because we did get pressure. He threw the ball way early on multiple occasions because we got pressure. Hence all the incomplete passes in first 2.5 quarters. He bounced and under threw balls because of the pressure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Best opener we've played since we 49-0'd USM in 2014. (2020 LSU was more about Bo Pelini being an idiot offensively and the bad throws by KJ were apparent. Silly me thought it meant the sky was the limit because he had a bad game passing for 600 yds.)

People on this board need to temper expectations. First games always have some kinks to work out. Imagine if we only threw for 150 yards against Troy. Imagine if we gave up 16 to an FCS team. Imagine if we let memphis actually hang around like arkansas did Cincy. Imagine if we threw multiple bad INTs to an FCS team.

The rest of the SEC West struggle bussed yesterday (outside of Tuscaloosa). By all measures, we looked like the second best team that played in our division.
    Well said, sir! Great post!

Banned
    vCash
    The end of the first half we had 3 Timeouts and the flag happened. Then the refs ****ed up and ran the clock. Wish we would have pushed it down field to test adding a field goal. Just to practice.

That and Will's misread are my only two complaints from the first half. That was the best half of football on both sides we've played under Leach / Moorhead and in a while for Dan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    The end of the first half we had 3 Timeouts and the flag happened. Then the refs ****ed up and ran the clock. Wish we would have pushed it down field to test adding a field goal. Just to practice.

That and Will's misread are my only two complaints from the first half. That was the best half of football on both sides we've played under Leach / Moorhead and in a while for Dan.
    Agreed. As good as Dan was our opening games were always full of false starts, stupid penalties, bonehead mistakes, etc...sans the usm blowout.

vCash
    Yeah the guy was hearing footsteps all night because we did get pressure. He threw the ball way early on multiple occasions because we got pressure. Hence all the incomplete passes in first 2.5 quarters. He bounced and under threw balls because of the pressure
    There were several plays where their q b got happy feet and threw the ball away because of pressure, receivers got alligator arms and either quit on routes or dropped the ball due to fear of going over the middle. The first half our D had a big chip on their shoulder and Memphis felt it. Really the level of domination the first half made Memphis look like a FCS team. CFN has them at 7.5 win total and a bowl team. Their q b had 25 tds last year and was a freshman all American. They brought in several players through the portal. They are a decent team.