Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moorhead

vCash
    Fitz was a baller. I remember many times the receivers just didn't catch the ball that hit their hands or was catchable.

Fitz did put the heat on the ball though and I'm sure some of those balls weren't really catchable.

We now have 2nd and 3rd team WRs that would have been starters on the 2018 team.

This is our breakout year and we're going to steal some wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    He's terrible. i don't even think he was a good OC. Horrendous head coach.

Cohen is lucky (imo) he didnt get fired for that one.

Moorhead showed up at State and I'm convinced he didnt know our team. I bet he never watched our film before he got here. He coached like he had the 85 Bears and coached them like BYU back in the 80s...just brain dead.

I'll never get over it. It was soooo dumb.
    You are right about his head coaching abilities and absolutely wrong about Cohen being "lucky". Moorhead was considered the #1 or 2 top assistants in the country and considered by most (not just State fans) as a Homerun hire. Sometimes you miss even though you think your hiring the next "Dan Mullen". (Quotes because to most of y'all, Dan was the sh*t).
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 09-02-2022 at 05:59 PM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Not to mention, our QB broke his leg to end the season before. Dude wasn?t the same when he came back.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Yep. Everyone thought Morehead was ready. Hell, most everyone here was good with the hire. Until we played Kentucky and we couldn?t scheme against one DE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Yep. Everyone thought Morehead was ready. Hell, most everyone here was good with the hire. Until we played Kentucky and we couldn?t scheme against one DE.
    Snake oil salesman.

vCash
    This really shows a lack of football knowledge by the AD. You have a team completely built to run a certain system then bring in a round peg for a square hole.

vCash
    Everyone forgets how terrible WRs were under Mullen. I?m not taking up for Moorhead but I?m not sure any coach would have done well with the lack of WR talent we had. It?s probably the reason why Mullen was so determined to leave knowing that defense was stacked. His aura of being an offensive genius was about to take a major hit if he rolled out that offense with such a dominant defense.

Seriously, please tell me which WRs from the entire Mullen era would have started on this 2022 team? Maybe Bumphis and Bear, maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    This really shows a lack of football knowledge by the AD. You have a team completely built to run a certain system then bring in a round peg for a square hole.
    He's actually done this in consecutive hires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    No, Cohen was trying to change Mississippi State?s football identity. Mullen proved that we would never be competitive with Alabama without a high powered passing offense. Meanwhile Hugh Freeze actually beat Saban.

I think Cohen saw Moorhead as a middle ground compromise. Moorhead?s offense had a lot of passing but still featured the RB like Saquon Barkley. I can see how Cohen thought that Moorhead would do well with Kylin Hill. No, it didn?t work out.

Football has changed. Even Saban at Alabama is running a pass heavy offense. Hiring Leach was a great decision because even if it doesn?t work he will change the culture and the roster. It will be very easy to pick up a TE and feature RB if we have to change systems. That?s much easier that finding a whole WR corp.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Cohen made a horrible hire with Moorhead, but he fixed it. I have no problems with any of our current 4 coaches in the main 4 sports. Football and mens basketball are most important to me and I think Leach is solid and Jans was a homerun. He redeemed himself for the Moorhead fiasco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Cohen made a horrible hire with Moorhead, but he fixed it. I have no problems with any of our current 4 coaches in the main 4 sports. Football and mens basketball are most important to me and I think Leach is solid and Jans was a homerun. He redeemed himself for the Moorhead fiasco
    Good post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Everyone forgets how terrible WRs were under Mullen. I?m not taking up for Moorhead but I?m not sure any coach would have done well with the lack of WR talent we had. It?s probably the reason why Mullen was so determined to leave knowing that defense was stacked. His aura of being an offensive genius was about to take a major hit if he rolled out that offense with such a dominant defense.

Seriously, please tell me which WRs from the entire Mullen era would have started on this 2022 team? Maybe Bumphis and Bear, maybe.
    Fred Ross and Donald Gray both would have been monsters in Leach's system. Possibly Chris Smith and Fred Brown too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Fred Ross and Donald Gray both would have been monsters in Leach's system. Possibly Chris Smith and Fred Brown too.
    I think those guys would have fit in but I?m not positive any of them would have been a sure fire starter. Yes, Fred Ross put up big numbers but even the NFL shows that he was nothing special. I think RaRa and possibly Ducking have NFL possibility.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I think those guys would have fit in but I?m not positive any of them would have been a sure fire starter. Yes, Fred Ross put up big numbers but even the NFL shows that he was nothing special. I think RaRa and possibly Ducking have NFL possibility.
    I hope you are right about Ducking. Great fall we are told. Now we will see if it relates to game time. Results last year were a very long way from the NFL. Hail State!