Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blocking 3 with 5

vCash

Blocking 3 with 5

Again, I keep seeing a bunch on here talking about us not blocking 3 with 5. Please stop with this. Some of us have explained it over and over.
    When you put tackles on an island with that wide of splits, it is absolutely 1 on 1 at that point. Now mix in the fact that every defense knows we are blocking this way every play, and 80% of snaps are pass pro, and we aren't gonna chip with a back and we don't have a tight end. There is absolutely no variation in our blocking. Defenses know what we are doing. If I was a DC I would replace any slow DE with faster LBs and try to out quick both our Tackles. It makes it fun for defenses. They can literally pin their ears back abd come after us and play zone coverage at the same time.

We will never block 3 with 5 consistently unless we have all-Americans at both tackle positions, or we change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Again, I keep seeing a bunch on here talking about us not blocking 3 with 5. Please stop with this. Some of us have explained it over and over.
    When you put tackles on an island with that wide of splits, it is absolutely 1 on 1 at that point. Now mix in the fact that every defense knows we are blocking this way every play, and 80% of snaps are pass pro, and we aren't gonna chip with a back and we don't have a tight end. There is absolutely no variation in our blocking. Defenses know what we are doing. If I was a DC I would replace any slow DE with faster LBs and try to out quick both our Tackles. It makes it fun for defenses. They can literally pin their ears back abd come after us and play zone coverage at the same time.

We will never block 3 with 5 consistently unless we have all-Americans at both tackle positions, or we change.
    If there is an elite speed guy on the edge and he does an outside move, then yes he's on an island with the Tackle and the only hope is to get the ball out quick or ride him out wide and hope the QB can step up in the pocket.

Otherwise there's lots of 2-on-1 blocking going on. You act like we have 10 foot splits and the guards are standing there with their thumbs up their asses just watching the score board. Go back and watch the last 35 minutes of the Auburn game when they rushed 3 the whole time. Plenty of double team blocks and plenty of time to throw.

You think Leach and Miller just started encountering this issue? When they say we have to block 3 with 5, they know what they're talking about. If you don't like that vernacular, take it up with them.

And yes Lashley was whipped by Will Anderson and Sam Williams. They whipped a lot of guys all year (and Lashley wasn't good). One of those guys is arguably the best pass rusher in college football history. That doesn't mean our whole scheme is flawed.

vCash
    Dude, give it up, we have the dumbest fan base in America. DCs scheme to make the matchups one on one, especially with their best rusher vs our worst blocker. With no running game and an immobile QD, DCs salivate on these matchups. We either have to add in more runs/draws, etc., or get rid of the ball much faster. It's never can our 3 block their 5.

The 3 vs 5 people are the same that say, "Leach's offense has worked everywhere, it'll work here," and, "a third-year starting QB in Leach's offense has always won 9 games."

1. Everything works until it doesn't, and 2. Leach's previous teams probably haven't had to face the reigning national champion and the presumptive number one team and at least two more top 10 recruiters and several more top 20 recruiters.

Additionally, saying, "we have to block them," is not a solution when it's been proven we can't block them. That requires planning and strategy, doing something the D doesn't expect, something they'll have to adjust to, something different.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 08-27-2022 at 11:53 AM.

vCash
    Seems like Leach is .500 against reigning national champions here. That's pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Seems like Leach is .500 against reigning national champions here. That's pretty good.
    I don't think UGA is going to replicate the Corndog's follow on season. Leach was 4-7 that season, that's pretty bad. We have the dumbest fans.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 08-27-2022 at 12:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Dude, give it up, we have the dumbest fan base in America. DCs scheme to make the matchups one on one, especially with their best rusher vs our worst blocker. With no running game and an immobile QD, DCs salivate on these matchups. We either have to add in more runs/draws, etc., or get rid of the ball much faster. It's never can our 3 block their 5.

The 3 vs 5 people are the same that say, "Leach's offense has worked everywhere, it'll work here," and, "a third-year starting QB in Leach's offense has always won 9 games."

1. Everything works until it doesn't, and 2. Leach's previous teams probably haven't had to face the reigning national champion and the presumptive number one team and at least two more top 10 recruiters and several more top 20 recruiters.

Additionally, saying, "we have to block them," is not a solution when it's been proven we can't block them. That requires planning and strategy, doing something the D doesn't expect, something they'll have to adjust to, something different.
    A&M, Auburn, UK, Arkansas, etc DC's were salivating yet we put up yards and points.

We literally would have won at least 9 last year if not for shitty special teams.

How have our other teams in the past fared against the top 10 recruiters? Leach is averaging more wins against ranked teams that Mullen or Jackie.

We get it... "Run the dang bawl, coach!" Your high school glory days don't align with what Leach wants to do, so he and our fans are dumb and you're smart. Noted.

Sorry, but the "this offense won't work in this league" narrative was defeated last year, and it will be defeated again this year.

vCash
    I don't think UGA is going to replicate the Corndog's follow on season. Leach was 4-7 that season, that's pretty bad. We have the dumbest fans.
    I mean, you brought up playing against defending national champions, apparently somehow forgetting that Leach beat one of those already.

vCash
    Gosh, how did defensive coordinators miss this genius breakdown of our offense for twenty years in the sec, big 12 and pac 12 ?

Hurry up and hide this thread before this discovery goes nation wide !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    We get it... "Run the dang bawl, coach!" Your high school glory days don't align with what Leach wants to do, so he and our fans are dumb and you're smart. Noted.

Sorry, but the "this offense won't work in this league" narrative was defeated last year, and it will be defeated again this year.
    lol- we tied for 9th in the SEC in Scoring O with offensive machine Missouri and were 60th in the country. Let's not act like we were some high flying juggernaut last year.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Gosh, how did defensive coordinators miss this genius breakdown of our offense for twenty years in the sec, big 12 and pac 12 ?

Hurry up and hide this thread before this discovery goes nation wide !
    Yeah, Elko, White, Mason and Odom are just morons and have no clue how to coach a defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    lol- we tied for 9th in the SEC in Scoring O with offensive machine Missouri and were 60th in the country. Let's not act like we were some high flying juggernaut last year.
    Never said juggernaut

We were top half of the league in SEC games only, and do you think we played as well as possible in this scheme? We reached the ceiling? Of course not.

Nobody said this was the perfect scheme or completely without weakness. All schemes have weaknesses and all schemes work better with better players. But you and the RTGDF gang don't like it so it doesn't work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Never said juggernaut

We were top half of the league in SEC games only, and do you think we played as well as possible in this scheme? We reached the ceiling? Of course not.

Nobody said this was the perfect scheme or completely without weakness. All schemes have weaknesses and all schemes work better with better players. But you and the RTGDF gang don't like it so it doesn't work.
    Rep!!!! You called it, "the RTGDF gang." Ha Ha love it.

vCash
    So you saying the SEC West is a lot better on defense than PAC 12 North?

vCash
    I'm not here to bash Leach's offense. But just talking Xs and Os.....

Texas Tech used stunts to get 19 rushing free up the middle. If I remember right, 3rd and long Tech rushed 4 DL. 19 stunted over. Our guard was tied up with their DT and 19 had a free pass to the QB.

Anyways, just an example that it isn't always simple 5 v 3 straight up blocking.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 08-27-2022 at 02:57 PM.

vCash
    I want to suggest a rule that if you crap on what our current coach is doing you should have to say which coach we should be pursuing. That way we can all laugh in your face in concert.

Is Leach or the Air Raid perfect? No, but it?s what we have and it has proven effective over 20 years. We actually beat the team that beat Clemson and the team that beat Alabama last year. We should be better in most positions this years.

Was Mullen perfect? No, we went to number one for a while and beat most not all the teams we were supposed to beat pretty consistently. We also lost to more talented teams very consistently too.

I think pass first is the way college football is headed and I?m glad we?re on board.

vCash
    Key will be Dolla Bill at LT. He is on an island and will face opponent's best rusher every week. He has worked hard and looked good in fall camp. Hail Dolla! Hail State! Memphis in 6 days!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Texas Tech used stunts to get 19 rushing free up the middle. If I remember right, 3rd and long Tech rushed 4 DL. 19 stunted over. Our guard was tied up with their DT and 19 had a free pass to the QB.

Anyways, just an example that it isn't always simple 5 v 3 straight up blocking.
    ^^^ this ... the problem isn't always pressure from the ends - it's LB's doing delayed stunts through the interior of the line a lot of the time... and the guards that seem like they are just waiting in space not blocking anyone, when in reality they are blocking their zone in anticipation of blitzing LB's ... sometimes our tackles get burned of course but it's just not always where the pressure comes from.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Not surprising that stunts would be effective against a makeshift line. The biggest problem was probably just the lack of talent once Cross decided to sit out, but when you put people next to each other that haven't played together (and one of them at a position he hasn't played), they are not going to be great at handling stunts. IN fact, I think stunts are illegal in the ProBowl. Obviously that's not much of a competitive football game, but I think that was more of an acknowledgement that one week of practice isn't enough for a line to be able to effectively and consistnelty handle stunts/twists.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash

It worked last year as good as almost any offense in our history has worked. It was inconsistent at times, but what the hell are you people watching? The shit works. It may not be as exciting as you want it to be, but that's your own problem. Our defense and special teams is the reason we didn't win 9 or 10 games last year.

vCash
    I've said for months I worry about O-Line play. I thought Reese would be a Tackle, but now see him projected at Guard. I don't understand it, but I trust the coaches.

I also am not sold on Dollar at LT, but trying to keep an open mind.

The game hinges on the battle at the LOS...on both sides. I worry about stunts by opposing D making us vulnerable...esp with mostly immobile QB.