Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - student loan forgiveness engaged

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I put myself through college. I've put my son through college. I will put my daughter through college. I helped put your two kids through college as well. You're welcome.
    College is already heavily subsidized without taking tuition into account. We all pay for everybody else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Are you asking that people take personal responsibility for their actions? Novel idea.

All seriousness it?s not good for the country as a whole. Yes it?s nice right now for those that will benefit. But we will all eat the cost of it.

It?s just the degradation of society. People don?t take responsibility for their actions, they want something now that others have, they don?t want to put the work in for it? you name it. It?s a society that is becoming lazy and selfish.
    Exactly correct. 100% on the mark. We have to teach people to be responsible and fend for themselves. We keeping teaching them to be freeloaders and takers. We are rewarding laziness and entitlement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Exactly correct. 100% on the mark. We have to teach people to be responsible and fend for themselves. We keeping teaching them to be freeloaders and takers. We are rewarding laziness and entitlement.
    It's only $10,000 for the poor and middle class. If it is were everything for everyone, you would have a point, but it's not.

vCash
    Forgive me, I thought only the Legislative Branch of our government could approve fund$ to pay for things. This thread gets closed in 5....4....3....2....1.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    It's only $10,000 for the poor and middle class. If it is were everything for everyone, you would have a point, but it's not.
    What I've seen, individuals eligible who make up to $125k, couples $250k.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    What I've seen, individuals eligible who make up to $125k, couples $250k.
    I think that most people whose salary is $124,999 would consider themselves to be middle class, not rich.

vCash
    Yeah, we shall see what becomes of this big talk by Biden.

I can't find anything that gives any details other $125k for single parents and 250K for couples. How many years does this go back? How many years forward? Can a loan from 2000 when a kid was making 20K a year be forgiven? How about if a parent makes over the threshold, the fasfa ap has said parent on it but the student files their own tax return and made far less than $125?

All these details are going to come out through studentaid.gov but I bet cha there will be a lot of hoops to jump through and most people (even under $125K of annual income) will not qualify. All talk at this point.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 08-24-2022 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I usually do not comment on non football related posts, but this is a topic that I am very passionate about and feel there is a simple solution that is not being discussed. First off, I am not a democrat and I am not a Republican. I do not believe in party systems or base my opinion on what a party wants so this is coming from a place of non bias. I have worked for 3 different Universities in financial aid over the past 14 years. The student loan system is completely broken,

L

How long has the GOV stopped giving kids enough loan money to cover the full cost? Kids now a days don't even get enough fasfa loan money to cover the full price of going to school. Usually they get a few thousand and then it is on the parent to take out a directPLUS loan to cover the rest.

It is ridiculous universities can charge 7-8,000 a year for a dorm. Some of which were built in the 1960s or earlier.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 08-24-2022 at 06:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Yeah, we shall see what becomes of this big talk by Biden.

I can't find anything that gives any details other $125k for single parents and 250K for couples. How many years does this go back? How many years forward? Can a loan from 2000 when a kid was making 20K a year be forgiven? How about if a parent makes over the threshold, the fasfa ap has said parent on it but the student files their own tax return and made far less than $125?

All these details are going to come out through studentaid.gov but I bet cha there will be a lot of hoops to jump through and most people (even under $125K of annual income will qualify). All talk at this point.
    All good questions.

If I were betting, I'd probably wager it goes to SCOTUS long before any of that matters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Forgive me, I thought only the Legislative Branch of our government could approve fund$ to pay for things. This thread gets closed in 5....4....3....2....1.....
    Well, to be fair....the previous administration used an EO to pull legislatively appropriated funds out of the DoD budget to pay for border fencing...and that was WITH control of both house and senate.

Not a justification obviously, but its not unprecedented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Well, to be fair....the previous administration used an EO to pull legislatively appropriated funds out of the DoD budget to pay for border fencing...and that was WITH control of both house and senate.

Not a justification obviously, but its not unprecedented.
    Yeah, God forbid something be done about the Fentanyl murders and human/child sex trafficking and rapes that are happening because of the disaster at the border.

Are people dying or being violated due to not being able to pay back their student loans?

vCash
    I realize all of you guys came out of college making $125,000 a year, but I suspect that is way more rare for those who don?t post on Elitedawgs. Very few graduates start above $60,000 let alone $125,000. This will be an incredible boondoggle. It is a vote buying scheme plain and simple. Now lock her up.

vCash
    In......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Yeah, God forbid something be done about the Fentanyl murders and human/child sex trafficking and rapes that are happening because of the disaster at the border.

Are people dying or being violated due to not being able to pay back their student loans?
    Ah, ok...so curbing the constitution for things I like = good
    But doing the same for something I don't = bad

Interesting rationale.

Btw, there's an easy answer for why immigration reform has been a political hotpotato for decades....

Additionally, just "building the wall" is about as effective at getting to the root of the problem as is this current student loan move...Sure, gets some short-lived political rep, but its fleeting.

Rage on, tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Ah, ok...so curbing the constitution for things I like = good
    But doing the same for something I don't = bad

Interesting rationale.

Btw, there's an easy answer for why immigration reform has been a political hotpotato for decades....

Additionally, just "building the wall" is about as effective at getting to the root of the problem as is this current student loan move...Sure, gets some short-lived political rep, but its fleeting.

Rage on, tho.
    You did the ole "whataboutism" which libs hate when it gets thrown at them by conservatives.

I don't know what it would take to fix the border, but I'd piss on spark plugs if it would help. I have friends in south TX that have been affected in a horrible way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    You did the ole "whataboutism" which libs hate when it gets thrown at them by conservatives.

I don't know what it would take to fix the border, but I'd piss on spark plugs if it would help. I have friends in south TX that have been affected in a horrible way.
    Huh?

What "whataboutism" did I make?

vCash
    When you sign on the dotted line, you have given your word to repay. Anyone who takes the forgiveness has reneged on their obligation. I don’t believe I would take the forgiveness if I had a loan. My integrity and word means more than the money. That’s just me.

vCash
    Can our mortgages now "identify" as student loans?

vCash
    When the federal govt took over student loans in 2009 this was the plan all along. Eventually moving to "free" education paid for the by taxpayers. Same goal for healthcare.

Zero accountability or personal responsibility. This country is screwed.
    Elections have consequences.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Can our mortgages now "identify" as student loans?
    I like your thinking.....