Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is our best returning QB, saying Dak returns next year?

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash

Who is our best returning QB, saying Dak returns next year?

Williams has looked damn good every time he's played and is gaining confidence. He throws a nice ball and can run. He fits the offense to a T. Looks promising for the future with he and Dak running the show with all of our other young players.

vCash
    Dak, no doubt. Damien will be good though. I hope Dan now realizes that he should never recruit a pro style QB ever again.

Banned
    vCash
    Dak

vCash
    Is there really a question?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Williams has looked damn good every time he's played and is gaining confidence. He throws a nice ball and can run. He fits the offense to a T. Looks promising for the future with he and Dak running the show with all of our other young players.
    Is this even a serious question? If so you must be really good at the jazz flute.

vCash
    It's great to know that we will have a very capable backup in Damien. Just as long as Mullen doesn't try and incorporate any kind of QB rotation. You always have to worry about that with Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It's great to know that we will have a very capable backup in Damien. Just as long as Mullen doesn't try and incorporate any kind of QB rotation. You always have to worry about that with Mullen.
    Actually, the biggest concern with Dan right now going to forward as far as QB's is concerned is I think he asks them to run too much. I understand that the option and running the QB is a big part of his offense, but it's getting our QB's beat the hell up. See Relf's senior year, and then this year where we are down to our third string guy. Tyler survived 2012 in part because of his skill set not allowing Dan to run him as much. Relf survived 2010 and Relf and Lee played about 50% of the time each which I think kept them upright at least somewhat.

As it is Dak is hurt and appears to be out for the rest of the regular season. Is that going to linger into the offseason and how will it affect Dak's running next year?

I'm not saying we should take QB runs out of the offense- but I do think we need to try to limit it to about 5-8 plays a game as opposed to what seems like 20 plays a game with Dak in there and we also need to look at more creative running plays designed for our running backs to offset the need to run the QB so much.

vCash
    Jameon Lewis **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Actually, the biggest concern with Dan right now going to forward as far as QB's is concerned is I think he asks them to run too much. I understand that the option and running the QB is a big part of his offense, but it's getting our QB's beat the hell up. See Relf's senior year, and then this year where we are down to our third string guy. Tyler survived 2012 in part because of his skill set not allowing Dan to run him as much. Relf survived 2010 and Relf and Lee played about 50% of the time each which I think kept them upright at least somewhat.

As it is Dak is hurt and appears to be out for the rest of the regular season. Is that going to linger into the offseason and how will it affect Dak's running next year?

I'm not saying we should take QB runs out of the offense- but I do think we need to try to limit it to about 5-8 plays a game as opposed to what seems like 20 plays a game with Dak in there and we also need to look at more creative running plays designed for our running backs to offset the need to run the QB so much.
    We need to keep doing whatever works. We'll soon have enough QBs that can run the system that it won't be so devastating if one goes down.

vCash
    Staley will challenge Damien for the number two spot as soon as he steps on campus. I think staley gets reps early and often next season if he arrives during the spring and stays healthy. Also, he and his dad could want him to RS rather than waste a year splitting snaps and easing into action. A fifth year Sr year is much more valuable than a true freshman year. Long term payoff would be much more beneficial.

Dak will never be a QB who plays 100% of the snaps for several reasons, including he's a bruiser and it's hard for a RB to play an entire game too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    Dak, no doubt. Damien will be good though. I hope Dan now realizes that he should never recruit a pro style QB ever again.
    I love Tyler, but I am sure Dan has learned his lesson. 4 dual threat qbs will be on campus next year and I hope we use atleast one of them as a dual position player wr/qb type like Randal Cobb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We need to keep doing whatever works. We'll soon have enough QBs that can run the system that it won't be so devastating if one goes down.
    It's not a question of it working or not. It works. It's a question of maximizing our potential as an offense. There aren't very many teams that are able to maximize their potential with their third string QB or with their QB's battered to pieces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Staley will challenge Damien for the number two spot as soon as he steps on campus. I think staley gets reps early and often next season if he arrives during the spring and stays healthy. Also, he and his dad could want him to RS rather than waste a year splitting snaps and easing into action. A fifth year Sr year is much more valuable than a true freshman year. Long term payoff would be much more beneficial.

Dak will never be a QB who plays 100% of the snaps for several reasons, including he's a bruiser and it's hard for a RB to play an entire game too.
    This all day long. Staley has a chance to be very special. And like I said, who knows if Dak will be able to shake this current injury as it is?

vCash
    And the story lines start to build as usual for Mississippi State's Legendary Backup QB....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    And the story lines start to build as usual for Mississippi State's Legendary Backup QB....
    Just remember I'm the guy that said that Dylan Favre sucked, that Nick Schuessler was a *****, told people that if we got Cam Newton we would win at least ten games and he would change our program, and that Tyler Russell would set school records for passing yards.

You have to impress me before I annoint you.

vCash
    Staley isn't enrolling until the summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroons View Post
    Correct. I have seen video of him playing however.

And to be clear- so long as Dak is healthy I expect him to be the starting QB for MSU. Staley will be outstanding once he is ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroons View Post
    Staley definitely needs to redshirt unless Dak gets hurt. And Dan does need to do a better job of protecting Dak especially in games where we don't need him to run in order to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Just remember I'm the guy that said that Dylan Favre sucked, that Nick Schuessler was a *****, told people that if we got Cam Newton we would win at least ten games and he would change our program, and that Tyler Russell would set school records for passing yards.

You have to impress me before I annoint you.
    None of those are really ground breaking assessments for anyone with a decent football IQ and knowledge of the recruiting game (take that as a compliment).

FWIW I agree Staley is going to special. I was just busting chops over the legendary QB rumors. It's partially true because we are recruiting better at that position than ever before. Each guy we bring in seems like he has to potential to be more successful than the next. THAT is how you build a program.

vCash
    Is this a joke?