Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg Bowl defense

vCash

Egg Bowl defense

What type of defense should we expect to see?

As strange as it sounds...I have a lot of confidence in the gameplan Collins will draw up for this game. Ole Miss's offense has looked pretty shaky at times against good defenses. The only person on D that scares me for this game is Nickoe....because OM is good at finding the best matchup and trying to exploit it. Nickoe is a liability in coverage even though he has made some big plays lately.

Our DB's are going to have to tackle in the open field. Those little swing passes to Moncrief and Treadwell are hard to stop if you can't shed a WR block and tackle in the open field...and we have struggled at that this season.

Something tells me we will see a lot of the defense that we saw against A&M, where we keep the pocket in tact and not allow Wallace to leave it. He doesn't like standing in that pocket. He seems to want to get outside or else he's quick to tuck it and run up the middle if he can't get outside.

And then on 3rd and long situations, I expect to see a lot of what we did vs Bama, which is to occasionally rush 2 and drop 9 and force Sunshine to try and force it into a tight window somewhere.

The bottom line is, our CB's and Safety's have got to step up in order for us to have any chance to win this game IMO.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 11-24-2013 at 01:39 PM.

vCash
    By the way, is Evan Ingram going to be out for them on Thursday? He is a terrible matchup for us in my opinion. I think he has been hurt, and I hope he doesn't play Thursday. They will try to match him up with Nickoe all night if he's available.

vCash
    He's out for year. And I'm hoping we blitz, blitz, and blitz some more. If Bo gets rattled in the pocket they are done.

Banned
    vCash
    I think engram is out for the season, aint played in a long time. He'll be rusty even if he does play aint heard nothing about that. Defensively I think our front 7 in good enough to make sunshine have to beat us with his arm. I don't think he's good enough to do that. They don't take shots downfield they just dink and dunk, we have to tackle well. Collins likes to play aggressive so in the 3rd and longs I think we see a ton of blitzes which is good, their o -line hasn't looked good lately. Even against Troy. Nickoe will ball out its his last game at DWS. B

vCash
    I'm running what Bammer did against them:

Saban put 5 in the box and dared them to run the football- he ran a 4-1 with that badass in the middle play MLB. I'd do the same with McKinney and make them beat me that way. Our DL should be physical and give them some trouble upfront. McKinney has to tackle though playing this type of defense.

They had 2 CB's on the outside to both sides- and had 2 safety's deep over the top. Doing that takes away their screen game to the outside- and it also takes away the "pump and go"- because they have safety help over the top.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

Saban put 5 in the box and dared them to run the football- he ran a 4-1 with that badass in the middle play MLB. I'd do the same with McKinney and make them beat me that way. Our DL should be physical and give them some trouble upfront. McKinney has to tackle though playing this type of defense.

They had 2 CB's on the outside to both sides- and had 2 safety's deep over the top. Doing that takes away their screen game to the outside- and it also takes away the "pump and go"- because they have safety help over the top.
    Bama also played their ends in wide 9 techniques to keep them from getting outside. Think we should do the same

vCash
    Did you watch last yearns Egg Bowl? Moncrief ate our lunch on passes downfield. We go in thinking like you and we get drilled

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgsBite34 View Post
    Bama also played their ends in wide 9 techniques to keep them from getting outside. Think we should do the same
    good point- they funneled that running game back into their space-eating DT's and badass MLB

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    It comes down to two things:

1. Tackle well on their bubble screens. I swear, half of their plays on offense are those sorry, gimmicky little WR screens- if the first man to the ball can make the tackle, they get very very frustrated (see the Mizzou game last night).

2. Don't let anyone behind you. Wallace doesn't have a strong arm, but he can throw those deep lobs. We need to contain the deep ball and short passes and force him to try to use his arm strength to fit the ball into tight windows- because whenever he tries to throw a bullet, it comes out like a wounded duck. Force Wallace to make the tough throws instead of the easy ones.

I feel pretty good about stopping their running game. We just need to be aggressive and frustrate them early and often- oh, and we MUST TACKLE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    Did you watch last yearns Egg Bowl? Moncrief ate our lunch on passes downfield. We go in thinking like you and we get drilled
    not sure who you are replying to but I know at least 1 of Moncrief's TD's was on a CB blitz and Whitley didnt get over to cover him. One of the dumbest things we have done- blitzing a 2nd round pick CB in order to make a Safety cover Moncrief.

Banned
    vCash

Thinking like who?

Banned
    vCash
    not sure who you are replying to but I know at least 1 of Moncrief's TD's was on a CB blitz and Whitley didnt get over to cover him. One of the dumbest things we have done- blitzing a 2nd round pick CB in order to make a Safety cover Moncrief.
    Chris Wilson Logic.

Only DC in the nation that could waste a NFL D tackle, TWO NFL corners, and a NFL LB

vCash

Sounds good to me. But our four corners are Cox, Redmond, Calhoun, and then....maybe Giles? Or are we going to be OK with Wells on Logan?

vCash
    For all intents and purposes, we were playing with 10 guys on defense since Nikoe didn't know what the hell he was doing. Nevermind the fact that we were playing bend and break Chris Wilson defense.

Even last night- Mizzou was running a lot of cover 2 and as good as they are Ole Miss moved the ball on them a good bit. It's just that when Ole Miss got inside the 10, they couldn't run it.

vCash
    Our defense will be tested all night. Their offense is very good and have really only been shut down one time this year. If last night repeats itself, let them get in the red zone and force field goal attempts

Banned
    vCash
    TSUN is a big play team. They get ancy if you just bottle them up. Freeze is that way too, he seems like a real light skinned guy, we're talking about a guy who got in a fight with his own fan after a game. He's had some questionable decisions this year to go for it on 4th when it wasn't necessary. Did it vs Bama, ended up getting shut out. Did it last night vs Mizzou. I think a cover 2 is a good plan to beat them, keeps a CB in the flats to help stop the quick screens and keeps 2 safeties deep at all times. Offenses hate a true cover 2, if its executed well it can stop just about anything. You have to have a good front 7 to run it though cause both your safeties are deep. I think our front is good enough like ive said on both sides of the ball. No big plays, if they move the ball some, fine. Hold them to FG's not TD's

vCash
    What scares me is the end around with Walton, Arkansas beat us a couple times with it and Autry has been known to lose containment on those type of plays.

vCash
    OM's offense is different on grass. Doesn't run as smooth or as quick. This game is going to be a dog fight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    OM's offense is different on grass. Doesn't run as smooth or as quick. This game is going to be a dog fight.
    Yep we're in a great spot, they have nothing to play for and first game away from home and on real grass in over a month. I truly believe that we won't see a game Dan is more prepared for than this one. After all the offseason stuff last year and them getting all the media love I can't think of a game Dan has wanted more since he's been here except maybe his first egg bowl. Hope I'm right, don't let me down Mullen.

vCash
    Shed blocks and make tackles. Can't let the dink and dunk bullshit go for 10-15 or more yards. I'm looking for a huge game from Chris Jones