Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally, Some SEC Guys That Get It!!

vCash
    Trying to predict a record for a Leach-led team is impossible. We certainly have the talent to win 9 or 10 games, if things go our way. We also have the schedule to win 5 or 6 games.

The thing with Leach's offense is that it's very high risk/high reward. Passing the ball 50 or 60 times a game is risky. It leads to major swings in momentum and game trajectory, and a lot of it is totally unpredictable. Drops, tips, sacks, long completions, pick sixes, interceptions, scoop and scores, penalties - they all occur at a much higher rate in this offense. When his offense is clicking, it's almost impossible to stop. When it's off by a few beats, it's dog crap - quick 3 and outs or turnovers. We've already seen this. And playing top 25 defenses week after week means you are at a higher risk of paying larger consequences for smaller mistakes each and every time you take the field on offense. Thus the "will it work in the SEC" debate. I think we'll truly find out this year. We have all of the tools, of that I have no doubt. So, let's see what happens! To me, it's a mystery at this point. Neither 6-6 nor 10-2 will surprise me, nor will anything in between.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Trying to predict a record for a Leach-led team is impossible. We certainly have the talent to win 9 or 10 games, if things go our way. We also have the schedule to win 5 or 6 games.

The thing with Leach's offense is that it's very high risk/high reward. Passing the ball 50 or 60 times a game is risky. It leads to major swings in momentum and game trajectory, and a lot of it is totally unpredictable. Drops, tips, sacks, long completions, pick sixes, interceptions, scoop and scores, penalties - they all occur at a much higher rate in this offense. When his offense is clicking, it's almost impossible to stop. When it's off by a few beats, it's dog crap - quick 3 and outs or turnovers. We've already seen this. And playing top 25 defenses week after week means you are at a higher risk of paying larger consequences for smaller mistakes each and every time you take the field on offense. Thus the "will it work in the SEC" debate. I think we'll truly find out this year. We have all of the tools, of that I have no doubt. So, let's see what happens! To me, it's a mystery at this point. Neither 6-6 nor 10-2 will surprise me, nor will anything in between.
    There is nothing wrong with your post. It's a good take. But I think too much of the focus is on the offense. The reason myself and others think this should be a team that wins between 9 and 11 games is because of the D. We have a legit Top 20 defense in 2022. Last year we were 9th in the SEC in Scoring D and 5th in Total. 62nd and 31 nationally. This group and its depth should improve on those numbers quite a bit provided we dont see a rash of injuries.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Go watch the 2008 Texas Tech vs Texas game. Will Muschamp didn't rush 3 and drop 8 he nearly brought pressure every snap. It will come down to the OL play this year against SEC defenses. We don't have to have a replacement for Cross, but the group just needs to be good overall and we'll be ok.

With our 3 running backs this year I could see Leach running the ball more than last year. Our defense will be better than Tech's was back then. I think we're going to be the wrecking ball of hopes and dreams this year in the SEC. Probably going to win some games we had no chance at winning and losing some we shouldn't if we have a bad night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your post. It's a good take. But I think too much of the focus is on the offense. The reason myself and others think this should be a team that wins between 9 and 11 games is because of the D. We have a legit Top 20 defense in 2022. Last year we were 9th in the SEC in Scoring D and 5th in Total. 62nd and 31 nationally. This group and its depth should improve on those numbers quite a bit provided we dont see a rash of injuries.
    I don't disagree. But, still, it comes back to the offense. The Air Raid puts the defense in a tough spot, regardless of how the offense is doing. If the offense is doing great, the defense could see the field a lot (granted, it's a ball control offense and a lot of times the offense actually eats clock when it's going well). But, at some point, there are going to be a lot of quick drives (whether 3 and out or quick strikes) and the defense ends up on the field a lot. Depth on the defense can help us out there. So, yes, if our defense takes the leap it should, you're probably right, provided the offense doesn't have more than a couple of games where they just can't get anything going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post
    Go watch the 2008 Texas Tech vs Texas game. Will Muschamp didn't rush 3 and drop 8 he nearly brought pressure every snap. It will come down to the OL play this year against SEC defenses. We don't have to have a replacement for Cross, but the group just needs to be good overall and we'll be ok.

With our 3 running backs this year I could see Leach running the ball more than last year. Our defense will be better than Tech's was back then. I think we're going to be the wrecking ball of hopes and dreams this year in the SEC. Probably going to win some games we had no chance at winning and losing some we shouldn't if we have a bad night.
    Boom did rush 3 and drop 8 early on but Baron Batch the RB gashed them every time. He started bringing pressure against Harrell b/c he was carving them up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Brent Musburger even commented during the game that Boom was throwing the kitchen sink at Tech defensively but it wasn't stopping them. We have two backs very comparable to Batch but probably more physical. That was probably Leach's best defense at Tech and ours is better than that one by a mile.

vCash

McElroy gets it too. There's something about this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Neither 6-6 nor 10-2 will surprise me, nor will anything in between.
    10-2 is just not happening, but 6-6 may. Here's a schedule break down. Win all 4 non conference games. Count Bama, UGA, LSU and TAMU as losses (be nice to steal one, but we gotta count them as losses at this point). Thats's 4-4. Ark, UK, the Barn and UM will make or break our season. We can win all four and be 8-4 or lose all 4, neither will surprise me - we recruit on average with this group. Personally, I think we split those, but steal one in Baton Rouge for 7-5. 8-4 will be a whale of season. Win 9 and Leach should be national coach of the year. If Will takes the next step and starts making big plays, then we may reach 9, but that has to be proven on the field. He will set records no matter what, but big plays (and not giving up big plays) is where he has to improve to take us to the next level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    10-2 is just not happening, but 6-6 may. Here's a schedule break down. Win all 4 non conference games. Count Bama, UGA, LSU and TAMU as losses (be nice to steal one, but we gotta count them as losses at this point). Thats's 4-4. Ark, UK, the Barn and UM will make or break our season. We can win all four and be 8-4 or lose all 4, neither will surprise me - we recruit on average with this group. Personally, I think we split those, but steal one in Baton Rouge for 7-5. 8-4 will be a whale of season. Win 9 and Leach should be national coach of the year. If Will takes the next step and starts making big plays, then we may reach 9, but that has to be proven on the field. He will set records no matter what, but big plays (and not giving up big plays) is where he has to improve to take us to the next level.
    I mean, I think 7-5 is the sweet spot. I'm with you there. But I do understand the argument for more. Leach has a history that we can go by, so I'm not counting anything out yet. That's all.

vCash
    I guess we have the national coach of the year then! if we go 6-6 or 7-5 i will quit posting for 6 months!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I guess we have the national coach of the year then! if we go 6-6 or 7-5 i will quit posting for 6 months!
    7-5 with our record will be a good year. I wish Vandy was on the schedule rather than UGA.....

vCash
    7-5 with our record will be a good year. I wish Vandy was on the schedule rather than UGA.....
    You ok with 7-5 if we lose to OM for 3 in a row? I can live with 7-5, but OM better be in the 7. Hail State and 8-4!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    You ok with 7-5 if we lose to OM for 3 in a row? I can live with 7-5, but OM better be in the 7. Hail State and 8-4!
    a vet QB and RBs. A coach in his 3rd year and a killer D. Really only 2 for sure losses on the schedule and maybe 1 tossup. LSU has a new coach and new QB. Arky lost their best player and we should've beat them last year. KY we beat them last year and should again this year. TAM is a the only tossup, so 7-5 will be a disappointment. Remember we have a new and improved kicker!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    For LSU it was.
    +

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post

McElroy gets it too. There's something about this team.
    Starts at 13 min

vCash
    folks are counting possibilities as wins ... I agree 10-2 isn't happening and if looked at objectively 6-6 would be the floor ... we are a 7 or 8 win team but "Hopefully" a 9 win season is not outside the realm of possibility ... not a probability but something for us as fans to cling to ... 10-2 would be a near miracle
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    aTm is so hard to predict for me. They just pretty much always underachieve minus the COVID year and the Manziel year. They are much more talented than us but I will continue to pick us to beat them in Starkville unless they start beating us consistently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    folks are counting possibilities as wins ... I agree 10-2 isn't happening and if looked at objectively 6-6 would be the floor ... we are a 7 or 8 win team but "Hopefully" a 9 win season is not outside the realm of possibility ... not a probability but something for us as fans to cling to ... 10-2 would be a near miracle
    I am a sunshine guy but I do not believe we win 10 games. 8-4 w/ a decent shot at 9. If by some alignment of the stars we pull off 10 wins Leach should be COTY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    aTm is so hard to predict for me. They just pretty much always underachieve minus the COVID year and the Manziel year. They are much more talented than us but I will continue to pick us to beat them in Starkville unless they start beating us consistently.
    Aggie fans hate Leach. He has always owned tamu. I’m not sure they have ever beat him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Aggie fans hate Leach. He has always owned tamu. I’m not sure they have ever beat him.
    I'm not sold on Jimbo being an elite coach. He sacrificed part of his season to beat Bama. That's just putting expensive makeup over the bruise. His best offense ever was captained by a crab leg stealing moron who happened to be a Heisman winning athletic freak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Aggie fans hate Leach. He has always owned tamu. I?m not sure they have ever beat him.
    Leach is 8-3 vs A&M
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is