Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Any info from practice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Exactly. LSU 2020 and auburn 2021 were not boring.
    KY and vandy and Aggie and ark last year too. Uga 2020. Those games weren't boring.

When people try to press us and play man, we stretch the field. When they drop 8, we work underneath, and will work the 8-12 yard area more now that we have a qb who will be more physically developed.
    I remember Rogers taking us down the field in 20 seconds to put us in position to tie the game at Arkansas last year (I was there). That damn sure wasn't boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    That happens running it up the middle too.
    Not with Holloway.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Not with Holloway.**
    Unfortunately some of these posters will always have sore ***** about Leach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    Unfortunately some of these posters will always have sore ***** about Leach.
    Rep!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    I remember Rogers taking us down the field in 20 seconds to put us in position to tie the game at Arkansas last year (I was there). That damn sure wasn't boring.
    Agreed. Neither was scoring 6 unanswered TD on the road at auburn after being down 28-3. Not boring at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylesandi338 View Post
    ... I would rather lose throwing the ball and having a chance for a comeback, than run the hell out of the ball and get down by 2 touchdowns and have zero chance to come back for a win. ....
    ^^^THIS!^^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Throwing 175 passes to the RB's is the modern version of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. This offense makes the Wing-T seem exciting.
    Come on dude

Banned
    vCash
    Throwing 175 passes to the RB's is the modern version of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. This offense makes the Wing-T seem exciting.
    You're literally the embodiment of that dril tweet: "go ahead. keep screaming "Shut the **** up" at me. it only makes my opinions worse."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think the 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offenses are boring, even when they are working. But very rarely are 3 yds and a cloud of dust offenses working; if they are not breaking off 6 and 10 yard runs, they are going to get behind the chains at some point and fail. Not too different from trying to run the air raid consistently throwing swing passes to the RB for short yardage.

But agree with you. Not sure I've ever really watched an offense that was working and thought it was boring. I think watching an option offense when it's really working is fun, even if they are running the same three plays.
    Which is why we need to run something where we can throw the ball.

I remember Jackie, Croom, Dan most of the time when Dak wasn't the QB, even Joe morphed into a run heavy offense at the end- and every single one of those coaches and offenses it was always "Well, the MSU opponent is going to load up the box with 9 guys and dare MSU to throw it". Which was basically a veiled way of saying all we could do is run the ball. And I did not like that at all. It was soooo frustrating as a fan to watch. And then you would hear the excuses- "well, we can't find players that can run that kind of offense in Mississippi" (Ole Miss, USM, heck JSU and Mississippi Valley could) or the "well we're MSU and that's just not what we do."

Leach has already ruined that narrative. Shoot- we set the SEC record for passing yards in a game with KJ Costello throwing to Osirus Mitchell at Death Valley. Yeah. I think we can throw the ball at MSU.

I'm like you- I'm an Army fan and I love what Monken does with them and their offense. But that's good for them. I don't want MSU to do that and here's why:

1. Passing offenses score more points than run heavy offenses. Mostly because of the clock rules. Also because of the potential for more explosive plays. Most people consider an explosive play for a pass to be 20+ yards or more vs an explosive run being considered 12+ or more for a reason.

2. IMO it's easier to stop a running team than it is to stop a passing team. If you're more physical than the other run heavy team you can load the box and stop them. We can't count on being more physical every game since we're not a blueblood. To stop us now you basically have to run zone and hope that we have a really off day and don't just pick you apart. Or that you're Alabama and have generational talent on defense in which case nothing we would do would work anyway.

3. Because of 2 and the clock rules it's more difficult for a run heavy team to come back from a large deficit. When a team is down they have to pass. We do that naturally. A team like Army would be in trouble. It's not a coincidence that the two biggest comebacks in MSU history happened with Leach. We probably lose to La Tech and probably get blown out by Auburn if Dan or Joe were coaching us last year.

4. Our QB's were always getting beat up when we ran them a lot. Not saying a QB can't get hurt running the Air Raid but it minimizes it about as much as we can because we're in the gun all the time and the plays usually are run very quickly.

5. It helps us overcome our stigma with WR's and QB's in recruiting which is our traditionally most difficult position groups to recruit to. And thankfully we appear to be maintaining out recruiting stature on defense.

vCash
    Everybody wants more than 6-6. That doesn't mean we will get it. The offense IS boring. It's just like running it up the middle every play.
    You are overly pessimistic have been since we hired leach. You criticized his decisions, his recruiting, hell you been critical of our Tackels ain't you haven't seen them in one practice this year. You have predicted 5-7 6-6 or worse, your words. I hate losing to OM as much as anyone but I don't let that game and the bowl game last year influence my thoughts on this year, especially when we return 17 staters and got some damn good players from the portal.
    You are just overly negative about Leach and MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Which is why we need to run something where we can throw the ball.

I remember Jackie, Croom, Dan most of the time when Dak wasn't the QB, even Joe morphed into a run heavy offense at the end- and every single one of those coaches and offenses it was always "Well, the MSU opponent is going to load up the box with 9 guys and dare MSU to throw it". Which was basically a veiled way of saying all we could do is run the ball. And I did not like that at all. It was soooo frustrating as a fan to watch. And then you would hear the excuses- "well, we can't find players that can run that kind of offense in Mississippi" (Ole Miss, USM, heck JSU and Mississippi Valley could) or the "well we're MSU and that's just not what we do."

Leach has already ruined that narrative. Shoot- we set the SEC record for passing yards in a game with KJ Costello throwing to Osirus Mitchell at Death Valley. Yeah. I think we can throw the ball at MSU.

I'm like you- I'm an Army fan and I love what Monken does with them and their offense. But that's good for them. I don't want MSU to do that and here's why:

1. Passing offenses score more points than run heavy offenses. Mostly because of the clock rules. Also because of the potential for more explosive plays. Most people consider an explosive play for a pass to be 20+ yards or more vs an explosive run being considered 12+ or more for a reason.

2. IMO it's easier to stop a running team than it is to stop a passing team. If you're more physical than the other run heavy team you can load the box and stop them. We can't count on being more physical every game since we're not a blueblood. To stop us now you basically have to run zone and hope that we have a really off day and don't just pick you apart. Or that you're Alabama and have generational talent on defense in which case nothing we would do would work anyway.

3. Because of 2 and the clock rules it's more difficult for a run heavy team to come back from a large deficit. When a team is down they have to pass. We do that naturally. A team like Army would be in trouble. It's not a coincidence that the two biggest comebacks in MSU history happened with Leach. We probably lose to La Tech and probably get blown out by Auburn if Dan or Joe were coaching us last year.

4. Our QB's were always getting beat up when we ran them a lot. Not saying a QB can't get hurt running the Air Raid but it minimizes it about as much as we can because we're in the gun all the time and the plays usually are run very quickly.

5. It helps us overcome our stigma with WR's and QB's in recruiting which is our traditionally most difficult position groups to recruit to. And thankfully we appear to be maintaining out recruiting stature on defense.
    Actually, you make good points, but I think a more balance offense wins championships. Good teams or great teams will do whatever it takes to win, not a force run or force pass, keeping defenses on their toes is the key IMO. If they jam the LOS, you pass, if they back off the LOS you run.

In saying this, I wish two things the Pirate would do, throw the ball down the field just a little more, and run the ball just a little more. Find explosive wide out as well as a running back. I guess I guess I should say I wish we were Alabama! LOL

vCash
    we seldom have the talent to run 3 yds and a cloud of dust and make it work - not in our conference / division ... This is the reason I'm trying to be patient with Leach.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I honestly believe this all hinges on the QB and his ability to read the defense.

vCash
    Anyone know why Crumedy missed practice yesterday, not listed on depth chart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Some kind of injury but not sure what it is or the severity

vCash
    Crumedy has an arm
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Crumedy has an arm
    Thanks for the update. Ready for 1st game, I hope.

vCash
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks This offense is doing great...in two years, 24 games, 18 of which are conference games, this offense has only been "out of the game" in five games both Alabama games, Texas A&M and KY in 20 and Tech.... then when you games started by Rodgers, only Alabama and Tech are the only games this offense hasn't been competitive. I'll take that all day long... so as far as I'm concerned we have our coach...and I'll continue to give my money ..

vCash
    It IS three yards and a cloud of dust. It's almost exactly the same thing. It's just plain boring.
    It's only three yards and a cloud of dust when we can't block 3 with 5. But if you can't block 3 with 5, pretty much any offense you run is going to look boring.

vCash
    Fracture in his wrist. Might miss first game