Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Any info from practice?

vCash
    Dang injuries just like other years when we come into fall loaded the injury bug hits.

Crumedy and Forbes should be only getting light duty in fall camp anyway. They have proved their worth. One a potential AA and other best DT on team and potential ASEC. Wonder how it happened.

vCash
    I don't get some of you Leach haters. This is only his 3rd year and you want him gone? One of those years was the COVID year that screwed up implementation of everything from the offense, defense, conditioning, etc.

Leach has a proven track record of doing more with less. That's where we are in the SEC world. We aren't going to hire Nick Saban. We run an unconventional offense and defense that teams have to prepare for. This season sets us up quite nice with several trap games against our opponents. I'm thinking Leach steals a few wins this season because of it.

Look at the coaches that were hired the year Mullen left. Only a few are actually doing well and several are either fired or on the hot seat.

Coaching hires are a crapshoot anyway. Jimbo Fisher isn't exactly tearing it up over at TAMU. So, not sure who you think you're going to replace Leach with.

Leach is a solid head coach that will get the most out of his players. When's the last time we had 4-4 Star QBs on the roster. We currently have the best receiver room we've had since at least 2014 or a long time before then.

Leach and the staff are doing what they need to. We may not have many standout players, but our entire roster is not bad at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Mike Leach is back in the SEC. That's what he's wanted for a while. He will retire after this job. And he'll be here longer than 2025.
    I agree he will retire at State. I just think as he gets closer to 65, Key West and his millions in the bank will be reason enough to give it up
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post
    I don't get some of you Leach haters. This is only his 3rd year and you want him gone? One of those years was the COVID year that screwed up implementation of everything from the offense, defense, conditioning, etc.

Leach has a proven track record of doing more with less. That's where we are in the SEC world. We aren't going to hire Nick Saban. We run an unconventional offense and defense that teams have to prepare for. This season sets us up quite nice with several trap games against our opponents. I'm thinking Leach steals a few wins this season because of it.

Look at the coaches that were hired the year Mullen left. Only a few are actually doing well and several are either fired or on the hot seat.

Coaching hires are a crapshoot anyway. Jimbo Fisher isn't exactly tearing it up over at TAMU. So, not sure who you think you're going to replace Leach with.

Leach is a solid head coach that will get the most out of his players. When's the last time we had 4-4 Star QBs on the roster. We currently have the best receiver room we've had since at least 2014 or a long time before then.

Leach and the staff are doing what they need to. We may not have many standout players, but our entire roster is not bad at all.
    I don't hate leach; but I've come to the conclusion that we can't win big no matter who we have now, so I prefer a coach that runs a style that's fun to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post

Leach is the perfect fit here but some people think if you aren't running the ball every other play you're not playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I agree he will retire at State. I just think as he gets closer to 65, Key West and his millions in the bank will be reason enough to give it up
    Key West and his millions right now are reason enough to give it up. He's still coaching. He loves coaching and will coach several years past 65.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't hate leach; but I've come to the conclusion that we can't win big no matter who we have now, so I prefer a coach that runs a style that's fun to watch
    Fun to watch? I was having the time of my life watching us score 40 unanswered points on Auburn. There is no way in Hell we could have come back on Auburn like that with Mullen running Holloway up the middle and Fitz on 3rd and long. We've both seen that movie too many times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post

Fun to watch? I was having the time of my life watching us score 40 unanswered points on Auburn. There is no way in Hell we could have come back on Auburn like that with Mullen running Holloway up the middle and Fitz on 3rd and long. We've both seen that movie too many times.
    Auburn was fun. You didnt mention the 2 following games vs real players.

Mullen's style was better, but id prefer something like clawson's. I'd prefer a more balanced approach that looks to hit big plays in the passing game.

ETA... leach is hardly a bad coach. He's good in fact, so I'm not stumping to fire him. Just given a choice, I'd prefer a different type offense.
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-20-2022 at 07:54 PM.

vCash
    Marks wont miss any time. Crumedy will be back by LSU and Forbes could go if we need him to. Key word is need. Nothing major except Crumedy. But he will be back. Could be a lot worse but It just seems like they all hit at once

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Marks wont miss any time. Crumedy will be back by LSU and Forbes could go if we need him to. Key word is need. Nothing major except Crumedy. But he will be back. Could be a lot worse but It just seems like they all hit at once
    Thanks - if we can stay here that's about as good as ever entering the season,

vCash
    Lewis is probably going to miss the season due to injury. He's the only concern at this point.

vCash
    Percy Lewis? John Lewis?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Lewis is probably going to miss the season due to injury. He's the only concern at this point.
    Yeah throwing out a Lewis here isn't cool. Certainly hope you are referring to John. Sound like a jerk to say that.

vCash
    John Lewis, so everybody knows.

vCash
    You know what kind of offense I like to watch? The kind that results in winning.

Leach has done historic levels of winning everywhere he's been.

Look at his time here: we ALL agreed whatever coach followed JoMo would have a lost year due to culture issues. An Leach sucked in 2020, but fixed the culture. Then in 2021 we were a FG kicker away from 9-3. Considering our FG kicker was good in 2020 and sucked in 21 because of an injury, I think it's reasonable to say Leach cannot be blamed for not getting a transfer. But guess what? He did get a transfer this year, because Leach adreses our weaknesses as he sees them.

We have 4* Qbs. WRs are talented. OL has adjusted to the scheme, seems well coached, and we're recruiting well there. Defense is well coached and recruiting is about the same as always there. Leach is good at using the Portal.

What do you guys want from him?? An offense you personally like watching? All I care about is the scoreboard. If were lose by 20, I'm not having much fun that 2nd half. If we win by literally anything, then the game was a good one to watch. Who cares?

I don't see this debate about defense- nobody cares if a DC runs a 3-3 or a 3-4 etc, as long as the stats are good we like that DC. But offense has to be the style you like?

And for the "were so screwed when Mullen leaves" crowd... remember how we hated jomo for running his system, instead of adapting to the players he had? Like we said then, a good coach adjusts to his players. The guy that replaces Leach will have multiple 4* QBs (including dual threats) an OL that's very good at pass pro, and very good WRs. If he cant make an offense work around that because he's missing a TE/high 4* RB, he's not a good coach. He'll, the portal can solve any TE or RB issue immediately. Leach may be a system guy but he's bringing in a lot of talent that will translate well to any system
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 08-22-2022 at 09:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    You know what kind of offense I like to watch? The kind that results in winning.

Look at his time here: we ALL agreed whatever coach followed JoMo would have a lost year due to culture issues. An Leach sucked in 2020, but fixed the culture. Then in 2021 we were a FG kicker away from 9-3. Considering our FG kicker was good in 2020 and sucked in 21 because of an injury, I think it's reasonable to say Leach canyon be blamed for not getting a transfer. But guess what? He did get a transfer this year, because Leach adreses our weaknesses as he sees them.

We have 4* Qbs. WRs are talented. OL has adjusted to the scheme, seems well coached, and we're recruiting well there. Defense is well coached and recruiting is about the same as its always been there. Leach is good at using the Portal.

What do you guys want from him?? An offense you personally like watching? All I care about is the scoreboard. Of were lose by 20, I'm not having much fun that 2nd half. If we win by literally anything, then the game was a good one to watch. Who cares? I don't see this debate about defense- nobody cares if a DC runs a 3-3 or a 3-4 etc, as long as the stats are good we like that DC. But offense has to be the style you like?

And for all the "were so screwed when Mullen leaves" crowd... remember how we hated jomo for running g his system, instead of adapti g to the players he had? Like we said then, a good coaches adjusts to his players. The guy that replaces Leach will have multiple 4* QBs (including dual threats) an OL that's very good at pass pro, and very good WRs. If he can't for an offense around that because he's missing a TE/high 4* RB, he's not a good coach. He'll, the portal can solve any TE or RB issue immediately.
    I just hate we didn't have Leach for a few more years before NIL took off. I think we're better off with Leach than probably any other coach because of his offense but I don't think it's going to be enough to make a difference unless something changes with NIL.

Also, how we transition when he leaves is a good argument against Leach I think. We are going to go with another air raid based coach (which luckily there are a decent number of options now) or we are going to go through a painful rebuild. The portal may help or hurt with that. On the one hand, we'll be able to get transfers to fit whatever scheme we are going with, but good players that came for the air raid will transfer out, even if they would be a decent fit for the new scheme. But you can't really make your choices on a coaching hire based on how the transition will look when he leaves.

vCash

Look at his time here: we ALL agreed whatever coach followed JoMo would have a lost year due to culture issues. An Leach sucked in 2020, but fixed the culture. Then in 2021 we were a FG kicker away from 9-3. Considering our FG kicker was good in 2020 and sucked in 21 because of an injury, I think it's reasonable to say Leach cannot be blamed for not getting a transfer. But guess what? He did get a transfer this year, because Leach adreses our weaknesses as he sees them.

We have 4* Qbs. WRs are talented. OL has adjusted to the scheme, seems well coached, and we're recruiting well there. Defense is well coached and recruiting is about the same as always there. Leach is good at using the Portal.

What do you guys want from him?? An offense you personally like watching? All I care about is the scoreboard. If were lose by 20, I'm not having much fun that 2nd half. If we win by literally anything, then the game was a good one to watch. Who cares?

I don't see this debate about defense- nobody cares if a DC runs a 3-3 or a 3-4 etc, as long as the stats are good we like that DC. But offense has to be the style you like?

And for the "were so screwed when Mullen leaves" crowd... remember how we hated jomo for running his system, instead of adapting to the players he had? Like we said then, a good coach adjusts to his players. The guy that replaces Leach will have multiple 4* QBs (including dual threats) an OL that's very good at pass pro, and very good WRs. If he cant make an offense work around that because he's missing a TE/high 4* RB, he's not a good coach. He'll, the portal can solve any TE or RB issue immediately. Leach may be a system guy but he's bringing in a lot of talent that will translate well to any system
    The fact is we aren't winning big again. Taking this into consideration, all you really have is the entertainment factor, so if I don't consider the product entertaining, why go? I've used all my travel weekends the last few years to watch the saints and braves, who I consider much more entertaining, along with more to do in the area of the games.

Again, leach has done a solid job, and I'm not advocating to fire him. Just a personal preference on my part

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The fact is we aren't winning big again. Taking this into consideration, all you really have is the entertainment factor, so if I don't consider the product entertaining, why go? I've used all my travel weekends the last few years to watch the saints and braves, who I consider much more entertaining, along with more to do in the area of the games.

Again, leach has done a solid job, and I'm not advocating to fire him. Just a personal preference on my part
    We were never going to win a Natty, not sire why you're just now accepting that.

As for entertainment value, I consider 9-3 more entertaining than 8-4. Don't you?

vCash
    We were never going to win a Natty, not sire why you're just now accepting that.

As for entertainment value, I consider 9-3 more entertaining than 8-4. Don't you?
    Not necessarily. I enjoyed us better in 2009 than in 2012.

vCash

I don't know how anyone could refute this ... winning is much more fun and I couldn't care less if it's through the air or on the ground
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I don't know how anyone could refute this ... winning is much more fun and I couldn't care less if it's through the air or on the ground
    Did you enjoy 2012 (8-4) with Russell throwing it in the picket or 2013 (7-5) with dak running and throwing? Maybe you're the opposite, but if you aren't winning big, style matters.

ETA... now obviously, if we get to a NY6 bowl, style is much less important to me. If the difference is liberty and music though, does it even matter?
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-22-2022 at 10:46 AM.

vCash
    I enjoyed the second half of the AU game as much as any game I have watched in the last 10 years.

I did not enjoy the egg bowl at all.