Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any info from practice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Practices reports are not bad, or necessarily inaccurate. You just have to keep perspective.

I think the practice reports are great. I think message board posters tend to jump to conclusions or lose perspective.
    You mean like when our place kickers never miss in practice then rarely make during the game when it counts ? ... sorry, I just couldn't resist the cynicism but I do enjoy what practice reports we get
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Practice reports would be helpful if people properly reported on it. You do that by comparing players to other players.

Examples:

This is bad - Zavion made a diving catch for a TD and looks great. Fans will get super excited about this and lose perspective.

This is good - Zavion made a diving catch while showing a first step burst that is a hair slower than Tulu's but he's 20 lbs heavier & runs with more physicality.

Since Tulu is a known quantity by our fans, phrasing the report by comparing Zavion to a known players, helps fans get a nice perspective of what Zavion may be.

You can literally do this with every player on the field
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    You mean like when our place kickers never miss in practice then rarely make during the game when it counts ? ... sorry, I just couldn't resist the cynicism but I do enjoy what practice reports we get
    That’s actually a very good example. If our kickers are truly accurate in practice, then there is nothing wrong with reporting it. But perspective is understanding that while that’s promising, it’s only practice and there is no guarantee that they will perform that well in front of big crowds on Saturday, when you could be on the road, weather could be bad, etc. Practice is a controlled environment.

vCash
    That’s actually a very good example. If our kickers are truly accurate in practice, then there is nothing wrong with reporting it. But perspective is understanding that while that’s promising, it’s only practice and there is no guarantee that they will perform that well in front of big crowds on Saturday, when you could be on the road, weather could be bad, etc. Practice is a controlled environment.
    So, so if WR burns our DB in practice is WR getting better or DB is a problem area or vice versa?***** Most every team thinks they are improved in fall camp with great expectations and goals for the season. Only a few really know and the others will find out when the games begin. That said, I think we will be very good, here in my recliner at 11:36 PM reading everything I can find about our team. Retired past May and son is Sr at State. Will be spending more time with him and hope there are a couple of open practices I can attend! Hail State!

vCash
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Position battles are interesting to me.

If Dollar Bill is our LT then what? I think he has the physical skills but can he do it without a ton of penalties.

Reese moving to Guard, is this just cross training or are we experimenting to find the best combination of OL?

We will all find out for sure by the start of the season and will know if they end up being any good a few games into the season but these tidbits are interesting to me.

vCash
    I think State is trying to find the best combination of guys for OL. Sounds like Jones benefits State most at RT and Lewis isn't ready. No knock on Lewis, juco to sec is an adjustment.

RT: C Jones / Lewis
    RG: Reese
    C. Sharp
    LG: N Jones / Smith
    LT: Dollar Bill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Position battles are interesting to me.

If Dollar Bill is our LT then what? I think he has the physical skills but can he do it without a ton of penalties.

Reese moving to Guard, is this just cross training or are we experimenting to find the best combination of OL?

We will all find out for sure by the start of the season and will know if they end up being any good a few games into the season but these tidbits are interesting to me.
    If Dolla Bill is our LT then I think that means we 17ed. Not running down our players, but he's an older player. If he was ready to play LT this year he would have been our starting RT this year. We pretty much needed Reese to emerge as a good OT on one side or the other. He was the only player young enough taht it was feasible for him to not be good enough to start at RT last year but made a big enough jump to be solid to good at RT or serviceable at LT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    If Dolla Bill is our LT then I think that means we 17ed. Not running down our players, but he's an older player. If he was ready to play LT this year he would have been our starting RT this year. We pretty much needed Reese to emerge as a good OT on one side or the other. He was the only player young enough taht it was feasible for him to not be good enough to start at RT last year but made a big enough jump to be solid to good at RT or serviceable at LT.
    We'll see about that. Dolla has put a shit ton of work in during the off season. He changed his diet, his workouts and got help from a professional OL consultant for his technique. He did that all himself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I think State is trying to find the best combination of guys for OL. Sounds like Jones benefits State most at RT and Lewis isn't ready. No knock on Lewis, juco to sec is an adjustment.

RT: C Jones / Lewis
    RG: Reese
    C. Sharp
    LG: N Jones / Smith
    LT: Dollar Bill
    I was told our starting 5 is set upfront and there is no position battle. We have a clear top 5
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    We'll see about that. Dolla has put a shit ton of work in during the off season. He changed his diet, his workouts and got help from a professional OL consultant for his technique. He did that all himself.
    That would be awesome if he proves me wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I was told our starting 5 is set upfront and there is no position battle. We have a clear top 5
    Any info on who that starting 5 is? Sharp will obviously be center. What's everything else?

vCash
    How good is that top 5 especially tackles?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Any info on who that starting 5 is? Sharp will obviously be center. What's everything else?
    I didnt get alot of info- just said he was told the starting OL is set and its clear cut. Dolla Bill is the LT.

As a coach- that tells me our 6-8 guys needs reps and playing time for experience because they have got to develop and get better.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I didnt get alot of info- just said he was told the starting OL is set and its clear cut. Dolla Bill is the LT.

As a coach- that tells me our 6-8 guys needs reps and playing time for experience because they have got to develop and get better.
    Yeah I would rather see us still have 2 guys that are pushing for a staring role

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Yeah I would rather see us still have 2 guys that are pushing for a staring role
    Percy is way behind Dolla. From what's being reported, Dolla is holding his own but there will obviously be a noticeable drop from he and Cross. The rest of the OL looks better than a year ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Percy is way behind Dolla. From what's being reported, Dolla is holding his own but there will obviously be a noticeable drop from he and Cross. The rest of the OL looks better than a year ago.
    Yeah, Dolla ain't Charles Cross but he's not getting pushed around a lot either.

vCash

Yeah Steve said Lewis and Reese will get much better soon with reps. So I'd say your intuition is correct.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 08-12-2022 at 01:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Yeah, Dolla ain't Charles Cross but he's not getting pushed around a lot either.
    Both Dolla Bill and Percy Lewis are bigger than Cross and won't get pushed around. But Cross was consistent, athletic, and had good feet. The issue with Dolla Bill will be how he handles the quicker and more athletic pass rushers. Will Anderson at Bama is only listed at 243 pounds. Pass rushers won't throw Dolla Bill around, but that doesn't mean they can't beat him. That's why he has consistently been pushed to LOSE weight and work on quickness, footwork, hand placement, balance, etc.

vCash
    Both Dolla Bill and Percy Lewis are bigger than Cross and won't get pushed around. But Cross was consistent, athletic, and had good feet. The issue with Dolla Bill will be how he handles the quicker and more athletic pass rushers. Will Anderson at Bama is only listed at 243 pounds. Pass rushers won't throw Dolla Bill around, but that doesn't mean they can't beat him. That's why he has consistently been pushed to LOSE weight and work on quickness, footwork, hand placement, balance, etc.
    And that work he's put in to achieve that is going to pay off big time.