Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any info from practice?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    "Decent" won't get it in our pass happy offense against fast SEC DE's. They will tee off with little respect for the run. Decent will mean an increased sack count and QB hurries. We kick off soon and time will. Hail State!
    He's not going to be a problem on the OL.

vCash
    "Decent" won't get it in our pass happy offense against fast SEC DE's. They will tee off with little respect for the run. Decent will mean an increased sack count and QB hurries. We kick off soon and time will. Hail State!
    Why the Pirate doesn't have a fullback and even a TE for certain situations is crazy IMO. It would at least make the defensive staff for our opponents have to spend a "minute or two" for preparing.
    But too each their own! I sure hope 7 wins and anything above is gravy!

vCash
    So we gotta have a first rounder as a LT every season?

C'mon, guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Why the Pirate doesn't have a fullback and even a TE for certain situations is crazy IMO. It would at least make the defensive staff for our opponents have to spend a "minute or two" for preparing.
    But too each their own! I sure hope 7 wins and anything above is gravy!
    This is where I'm at. It's why any Tackle in this system that doesn't look bad is gonna be drafted high. They are on an island every single down. It's a handicap of the upmost proportions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post

C'mon, guys.
    Definitely don't have to have a first rounder but I think any time our LT isn't at least on the NFL's radar, we are going to struggle. Just too many NFL quality DE's in the SEC that we're going to see a couple each year.

In 2021, we played 3 that got drafted in the 2022 draft (UK and Ole Miss each had a 2nd round DE, and then A&M had one in the 4th) and Will Anderson Jr. is getting hyped as a top ten draft pick in 2023 (although I guess he's technically a LB) and BJ Ojulari is a projected first rounder for 2023 and Derick Hall a projected 2nd rounder. Not sure if that's an outlier, but I suspect we're always going to play at least one or two teams with a game changer at DE. If those game changes are at Bama or UGA, it may not make a difference, but it could definitely swing an otherwise winnable game like at Ole Miss last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    This is where I'm at. It's why any Tackle in this system that doesn't look bad is gonna be drafted high. They are on an island every single down. It's a handicap of the upmost proportions.
    The Air Raid isn't built for the short yardage needed say 3rd and 4th down. It can be argued his Air Raid in the Red Zone playing in the Big 12 and Pac 12 was good (I have no idea). But the defenses in the Sec can be brutal to say the least. Good Coaches adjust and put wrinkles in, haven't seen this in the Air Raid. But I'm hopefully because many say we have the talent to win 9 games on ED anyway.
    I don't dislike the Pirate, I just wish we would run the ball a little more and use a damn TE and fullback some!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Definitely don't have to have a first rounder but I think any time our LT isn't at least on the NFL's radar, we are going to struggle. Just too many NFL quality DE's in the SEC that we're going to see a couple each year.

In 2021, we played 3 that got drafted in the 2022 draft (UK and Ole Miss each had a 2nd round DE, and then A&M had one in the 4th) and Will Anderson Jr. is getting hyped as a top ten draft pick in 2023 (although I guess he's technically a LB) and BJ Ojulari is a projected first rounder for 2023 and Derick Hall a projected 2nd rounder. Not sure if that's an outlier, but I suspect we're always going to play at least one or two teams with a game changer at DE. If those game changes are at Bama or UGA, it may not make a difference, but it could definitely swing an otherwise winnable game like at Ole Miss last year.
    Give me 2 decent tackles over 1 top 10 pick and one turnstyle. Rebearsharks and Bama just had their best DE kill Lashley all game. I don't think Sam Williams went against Cross once in the battle for the golden egg. Will Anderson may have for a handful of snaps.

vCash
    It's just late in the game for him to make a big jump. Usually, you see OL make a big jump after their first or second year on campus (and less often after three years) depending on what kind of shape they are in when they get here. Especially with some of the projects we take, it takes a couple or even three years on a college level S&C program along with better nutrition to either put on muscle if they are thin, or drop fat if they are overweight. (Dolla Bill came in needing to replace fat with muscle if I remember correctly.). But usually, if somebody has been on campus for four years, they don't make a big jump after that fourth year.

I'm also pessimistic because we had trouble at RT last year. If Dollar Bill was close to being able to be an SEC LT, you'd think that sometime after the 17th false start by Lashley in the first three games they would have tried something else at RT if we had anybody close to being serviceable. That's why I was hoping Reese would be a starting OT, because he was young enough that it was feasible he would be too bad to unseat Lashley last year but make a big enough jump in the off season to still be decent.

That said, if Dolla Bill's main problem was that he wasn't committed to conditioning the way he needed to be and that kept him from being quick enough to play OT, then it is possible that he matured late and made the commitment to get in better shape. But it's still not the norm to see that type of change coming after a RS JR year.
    I think you have to factor in that he spent his first 2 years in the JoMo Lack of Accountability Club.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think you have to factor in that he spent his first 2 years in the JoMo Lack of Accountability Club.
    That's definitely a solid point. Boobie was in much better shape his last year because of getting in a competent S&C program. Wasn't really a maturity issue with him I don't think as much as just not knowing that him doing what was asked of him was insufficient.

Still feel like we should have seen a bigger difference last year after having 2020 with a real S&C program, but maybe 2020 screwed up their ability to really change the culture around S&C until spring 2021.

vCash
    That's definitely a solid point. Boobie was in much better shape his last year because of getting in a competent S&C program. Wasn't really a maturity issue with him I don't think as much as just not knowing that him doing what was asked of him was insufficient.

Still feel like we should have seen a bigger difference last year after having 2020 with a real S&C program, but maybe 2020 screwed up their ability to really change the culture around S&C until spring 2021.
    COVID screwed all of that up. Some of that shit was via Zoom.

vCash
    Not defending this Leach or this offensive scheme but I recall Leach using more 2 split back sets later in the season. Hopefully, we will see more of that if certain OTs are struggling against good DEs...getting help from Johnson in the backfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    The Air Raid isn't built for the short yardage needed say 3rd and 4th down. It can be argued his Air Raid in the Red Zone playing in the Big 12 and Pac 12 was good (I have no idea). But the defenses in the Sec can be brutal to say the least. Good Coaches adjust and put wrinkles in, haven't seen this in the Air Raid. But I'm hopefully because many say we have the talent to win 9 games on ED anyway.
    I don't dislike the Pirate, I just wish we would run the ball a little more and use a damn TE and fullback some!
    A top 10 tight end in this offense would make it deadly

vCash
    Leach did use a tight end one year at Tech, Bristol Olomua a 6-5 Samoan and he was pretty effective.

He likes to tinker, I wouldn’t be surprised if adds some wrinkles this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Leach did use a tight end one year at Tech, Bristol Olomua a 6-5 Samoan and he was pretty effective.

He likes to tinker, I wouldn’t be surprised if adds some wrinkles this year.
    he cut all of our TE's soon after arriving.

vCash
    Davis Wheat and Charlton are the best pass rushers with the most experience. They will get there. We are gonna bring the funk anyway so its not like it matters. Just our philosophy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    he cut all of our TE's soon after arriving.
    So what

His offense doesn’t use a tight end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post

C'mon, guys.
    No, but an All-SEC type is mandatory in the SEC West for success.

vCash
    Leach uses some 20 personnel but it is never for the purpose of blocking. The backs always have a route to run. Doesn't matter if the other team has Lawrence Taylor... it's on the OT to block him.

vCash
    It's so funny. Bounds is making jokes about how State never made big plays in the past. However he discusses if State will make big plays this year. He called M Polk a possession receiver.

THIS IS NOT A BIG PLAY OFFENSE. It is a dink and dunk possession offense. So your wr will Always be what M Polk was. Only way you get a big yardage play, is if a WR breaks tackles and out runs people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    It's so funny. Bounds is making jokes about how State never made big plays in the past. However he discusses if State will make big plays this year. He called M Polk a possession receiver.

THIS IS NOT A BIG PLAY OFFENSE. It is a dink and dunk possession offense. So your wr will Always be what M Polk was. Only way you get a big yardage play, is if a WR breaks tackles and out runs people.
    Yelp.