Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I?ll never forgive MOORHEAD

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash

I?ll never forgive MOORHEAD

For what he did to us on 2018.

vCash
    There are so many coaches we could have hired, including just promoting Todd Grantham or Greg Knox, that would have had us at 10-2 or better. Most disappointing season since 2001 easily, maybe further back.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    Amen. Its hard to believe we screwed the at up that badly.

vCash
    Well someone hired him!!!

vCash
    Is that you Bo Bounds?

Let it go. He's been gone over 2 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    Amen. Its hard to believe we screwed the at up that badly.
    What do you mean "we". Wasn't he a great interview and a Cohen hire?

vCash
    Agreed. Worse than the Croom hire which was the 2nd worst hire in the history of college football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    There are so many coaches we could have hired, including just promoting Todd Grantham or Greg Knox, that would have had us at 10-2 or better. Most disappointing season since 2001 easily, maybe further back.
    Q when I brought up Greg Knox as a replacement for Mull I was laughed off the board. We could've given him a one year emergency contract just to keep things going until a HC could be found. I think he would've gotten us to at least 10 wins.

vCash
    I am the first person to talk about how much I disliked the Moorhead hire and was just as mad about that as Rick Ray. I have no idea what Cohen and Co were thinking hiring that fool. That being said, I think Mullen wins 10 games with the 2018 team, but let?s not act like anyone could have won 10 games with that team. We had no deep passing threat and that alone would?ve meant we don?t beat Bama or LSU that year. UK had a really good team and it would?ve been hard to win there but I think Mullen or a good coach would?ve done it. Losing to UF and Iowa were completely unacceptable though. Thankfully Cohen did much better with the Leach hire.

vCash
    initially I thought it was a good chance to take ... looked good on paper so I never blamed Cohen. It wasn't to long into the season when I realized he had no offensive imagination or creativity when I saw him ride Fitz like a Greyhound bus. I knew then he wasn't going to work out here. We had some tools to work with but he just seemed like a one trick pony. I still like the guy as a person but he's the type to remain a coordinator under a good head coach the rest of his life.... Yes he blew a really good opportunity for us that year but our administration did something seldom done at State ... firing him after year two
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Kentucky won 10 games that year. One of their best teams ever.

Florida was a bad loss but players didn't execute well that game. We had a chance to win with a catch here or there.

We most certainly lost the Iowa game because of defense. Busted assignments for an easy TD. Willie gay throat slashing to extend a drive. Then when we really needed a stop. Iowa marched down the field on the 85 bears to run out of the clock.

I'm not saying Moorhead was some genius. That music city bowl was ridiculous. But the 2018 season isn't entirely on him. Players have to make plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Florida was a bad loss but players didn't execute well that game. We had a chance to win with a catch here or there.

We most certainly lost the Iowa game because of defense. Busted assignments for an easy TD. Willie gay throat slashing to extend a drive. Then when we really needed a stop. Iowa marched down the field on the 85 bears to run out of the clock.

I'm not saying Moorhead was some genius. That music city bowl was ridiculous. But the 2018 season isn't entirely on him. Players have to make plays.
    That bowl game was one of the weirdest games I've every watched. We hold Iowa to -15 yards rushing and lose? That could ONLY happen in an MSU game.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Dude…JM was a nice guy but not ready for head coach of a SEC school and it showed on the field. The team wasn’t prepared and lacked leadership. 2018 was 100% on a bad hire.

vCash
    Moorhead was a hardheaded Yankee. He was never SEC head coach material but talked a good game. He refused to listen to his asst. coaches that had more head coaching experience than he did (hence the mass exodus after the first season). He had a walking marshmallow as a S&C coach and let the players decide if they wanted to practice or not. He was a terrible hire.

vCash
    Joe is a good offensive coordinator that did well at both Penn State and Oregon. Just did not translate well here for whatever reason.

That said, it definitely helps to have the offensive talent he had to work with at Penn State. Barkley was special and he also had guys like Godwin and Gesicki who have had successful NFL careers.

vCash
    Virtually any of us message board geniuses could have coached that team to a 9 win season, just keep doing what Mull was doing. I think SloMo was spoiled with Penn State and Fordam players who are likely more academically advanced than the southern athlete we recruit. Keep it simple stupid stupid, especially when you inherit a loaded team that is build to run a particular system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Virtually any of us message board geniuses could have coached that team to a 9 win season, just keep doing what Mull was doing. I think SloMo was spoiled with Penn State and Fordam players who are likely more academically advanced than the southern athlete we recruit. Keep it simple stupid stupid, especially when you inherit a loaded team that is build to run a particular system.

Wow, that speaks volumes! So what do you recommend? Do we recruit more academically advanced athletes or stick with the southern athlete we traditionally recruit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Wow, that speaks volumes! So what do you recommend? Do we recruit more academically advanced athletes or stick with the southern athlete we traditionally recruit?
    Stick with who we recruit and keep it simple, it you make a change, make it slowly.

Hopefully you realize incoming PSU students are more academically advanced than our incoming students (on average)?

vCash
    Blake Anderson is who we should have hired. He had won at Ark State. I know he had just lost his wife so maybe the timing wasn't great but that's who Cohen should have hired.
    He would be on my short list of he isn't at a blue blood next time we hire

vCash
    2018 showed JM wasn't a head coach but a program killer.

But what I really did me in with him was 2019 and him telling MSU - students, alumni, fans to shove it. He should have been fired on the spot.

That should be an interview question, how do you handle media and fans when things aren't going well? Course he would have lied not knowing how tough the SEC is.