Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malik Heath and why he transferred to the sharks............

vCash

Malik Heath and why he transferred to the sharks............

WR Malik Heath explains transfer from Mississippi State to Ole Miss: 'The cowbells are too loud'

OXFORD ? Malik Heath is breaking down boundaries.

Heath, a senior receiver from Callaway High School in Jackson, will become one of the few players in history to have suited up for both Ole Miss and Mississippi State when the Rebels host Troy in their season opener on Sept. 3 (3 p.m., SEC Network). After putting up 749 yards and eight touchdowns in his two years in Starkville, Heath jumped in the transfer portal to use his final year of eligibility in Oxford, where he's now competing with fellow transfers Jordan Watkins and Jaylon Robinson as well as long-time friend Jonathan Mingo for playing time.

As Heath explains, the choice to come to Ole Miss wasn't a no-brainer, but it wasn't very difficult either.

"I just like the offense," Heath said. "I think Lane Kiffin is a great play-caller, (wide receivers) Coach (Derrick) Nix is a great coach. He pushes you every day. That's something I didn't have over there at the other school. At first I was skeptical about it because of the rival school and all the media and all that. But I've seen a lot of other folks (transferring) and I thought. 'Why not?'"

Heath also mentioned the schematic differences that allow him to do a little more as a receiver at Ole Miss than in Mississippi State coach Mike Leach's air raid. Heath says most of the emphasis in Leach's offense was on routes within five yards of the line of scrimmage, compared to Kiffin, who emphasizes more of a downfield attack.

Combine that with getting to play with his cousin Brandon Buckhaulter and Mingo, who he's known since their high school days in Jackson, and Heath couldn't pass up the opportunity to play at Ole Miss, rivalry be darned.

Heath's situation is rare. He's not the only person to play at both schools; Breck Tyler played at Mississippi State in 1977 and Ole Miss in 1980-81. But he's certainly the first football player to switch sides in the transfer portal era, opening the door for future defectors.

Heath still thinks of the players at Mississippi State as his brothers. He said he and Bulldogs quarterback Will Rogers had a tough conversation when he made his decision but they finished on good terms. He expects the week of the Egg Bowl to be a fun one full of barbs and smack talk, but he's just glad the game is in Oxford instead of Starkville so he won't have to have cowbell flashbacks.

"I'm glad it's not at the other school," Heath said. "They've got to come here. I ain't have to hear the cowbells. I've been thinking about it ever since I came. I didn't like the cowbells. The cowbells are too loud."

vCash
    Wow what a loser. The poor cowbells hurt my ears. He didn't get coached over here because he was like 3rd string. If there is anyone else on the team that feels this way, they need to be shown the door.

Ask some true maroon dudes what the cowbells in DWS mean?

vCash
    17 him and the horse he rode in on. Dipshit.

vCash
    Malik stayed hurt and while he was hurt, Rara Thomas played better than him.

So he lost his spot. It wasn't because MSU didn't push him. MSU protected that punk way too many times.

vCash
    he wouldn't hear the cowbell when it gets shoved up his ass

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post

So he lost his spot. It wasn't because MSU didn't push him. MSU protected that punk way too many times.
    His running drop kick to a defenseless player (and quicker cowardly retreat, probably faster than any pattern he ever ran) in the bowl game against Tulsa and his "Watch dis" commentary of the film in the locker room was a disgrace to the University. He was a big disappointment to us after we did everything we could to get him to State.He should have been kicked off the team for these actions. He never reached his potential. He is finally right where he belongs.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 08-06-2022 at 02:41 PM.

vCash
    What a douchebag. I guarantee you that if/when we get a player from Ole Miss it will be well no hard feelings I enjoyed my time in
    Oxford blah, blah, blah. Not surprised they went at this with a hit piece against our staff and school.

Bunch of pieces of shit.

vCash
    Oh and speaking of pieces of shit I bet Mike Espy is proud of himself for "delivering" Heath after four years. Congrats on doing what's "in the best interest of the kids". Maybe you can get Deion Smith there in a couple more years.

vCash
    Yep, I'm certainly not losing any sleep over him leaving. He turned out to be a JAG. Funny part is the cowbells don't even ring much when we are on offense. I guess he wants his sideline time to be peacefully quiet.

vCash
    If noise was his issue, at least he was smart enough to transfer to a school where noise from the crowd won't be loud enough to be a distraction.

vCash
    According to Rosebowl, we "encouraged" him to consider other opportunities. Unpopular opinion, he was one of our few big play threats and we will miss him in that role. He had the most YPC and longest play of any WRs that had significant PT. Obviously, we have some talent coming back and in, but his added depth would have been nice. He dropped some and made some boneheaded plays, but on a 50/50 hail mary jump ball to win the game, He'd have a better chance at it than most of our other WRs.

Whether he was a "cancer" in the locker room, I have no idea. Let's just hope he doesn't have the game of his life in the Egg Bowl.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 08-06-2022 at 03:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    According to Rosebowl, we "encouraged" him to consider other opportunities. Unpopular opinion, he was one of our few big play threats and we will miss him in that role. He had the most YPC and longest play of any WRs that had significant PT. Obviously, we have some talent coming back and in, but his added depth would have been nice. He dropped some and made some boneheaded plays, but on a 50/50 hail mary jump ball to win the game, He'd have a better chance at it than most of our other WRs.

Whether he was a "cancer" in the locker room, I have no idea. Let's just hope he doesn't have the game of his life in the Egg Bowl.
    His longest play of any WR was against an OOC cupcake in a blowout. I remember a big fumble that killed 1st Q momentum in an SEC game that was a close loss also.

vCash
    Heath is a good player, but I honestly don't think we will miss him. Sea of sameness type of thing at receiver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Ask some true maroon dudes what the cowbells in DWS mean?
    Would really like to hear the Fred Smoot take on this.

vCash
    Y'all have to excuse me. The Taco Bell hit and I have to go take a Malik.

vCash
    At State he had a QB that could get him the ball. At om he doesn't. Will has more experience than Dart and Altmeyer put together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Would really like to hear the Fred Smoot take on this.
    Yeah. I've heard Jonathon Bank's take on the affect and his love for the cowbell in DWS. Heath wasn't ever a Dawg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post

Let's just hope he doesn't have the game of his life in the Egg Bowl.
    That would be just our luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post

Ding ding ding

vCash
    I watched Heath loafing enough when he played to know why he was third string. He missed blocks constantly and halfway ran his routes most of the time. He's talented but he's pissing it away because he's lazy.