Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Supporting Sidewalk bama Fans

vCash

Walmart Supporting Sidewalk bama Fans

I live in a county on the bama line. My 85 year old Bulldog Mom was going to Walmart in Fulton and I asked her to get me a white MSU cotton t-shirt (due to hot summer weather - I do hate our white helmets though). She texted, then called that they only had a maroon one (polyester) and was that alright? Upon her return, she stated, Son, they had 100's of Alabama shirts and I like to have never found this MSU shirt. I explained the concept of MS. bama sidewalk fans. I asked her to look there as I thought that it would be cheaper than Fanatics, but was still $23. She gave it to me, still her little boy. Any of you run into same issue who live in border counties? Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 08-02-2022 at 12:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I live in a county on the bama line. My 85 year old Bulldog Mom was going to Walmart in Fulton and I asked her to get me a white MSU cotton t-shirt (due to hot summer weather - I do hate our white helmets though). She texted, then called that they only had a maroon one (polyester) and was that alright? Upon her return, she stated, Son, they had 100's of Alabama shirts and I like to have never found this MSU shirt. I explained the concept of MS. bama sidewalk fans. I asked her to look there as I thought that it would be cheaper than Fanatics, but was still $23. She gave it to me, still her little boy. Any of you run into same issue who live in border counties? Hail State!
    At least you only have to deal with BAMA. Harrison County has Bama and LSU to put up with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    At least you only have to deal with BAMA. Harrison County has Bama and LSU to put up with.
    there's more LSU fans in Harrison County than there are registered voters ... and I just don't get it
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    MSU friend of mine said that the MS legislature should pass a law that the value of the bama decals on your MS tagged car/pickup could not exceed the value of the vehicle. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    there's more LSU fans in Harrison County than there are registered voters ... and I just don't get it
    Depending on what part of Harrison County you're talking about, LSU is roughly 2 hours closer than MSU and more than 3 hours closer than Ole Miss. I suspect the only reason LSU doesn't completely dominate that area is out of state tuition.

Also, slightly off topic, Alabama is roughly the same driving distance from Harrison County as MSU and Auburn is not much further away than MSU and is closer than Ole Miss. FSU is a decent amount further than MSU bust still closer than Ole Miss.

It really has taken a crazy amount of bad leadership over the years to make sure our two major universities are clustered in the north and east of the state and that neither have a major interstate going by them.

vCash
    Back in the 80s all you had to do to get LA instate tuition was to own a parcel of land in LA, and it was cheaper than MISS schools. Plus its closer to the coast and weren't no blue laws in LA back then

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Depending on what part of Harrison County you're talking about, LSU is roughly 2 hours closer than MSU and more than 3 hours closer than Ole Miss. I suspect the only reason LSU doesn't completely dominate that area is out of state tuition.

Also, slightly off topic, Alabama is roughly the same driving distance from Harrison County as MSU and Auburn is not much further away than MSU and is closer than Ole Miss. FSU is a decent amount further than MSU bust still closer than Ole Miss.

It really has taken a crazy amount of bad leadership over the years to make sure our two major universities are clustered in the north and east of the state and that neither have a major interstate going by them.
    Driving distance means nothing to the "Alabama fans" in my county. Most of them have never been to a bama game or know the way to Tuscaloosa.

vCash
    Driving distance means nothing to the "Alabama fans" in my county. Most of them have never been to a bama game or know the way to Tuscaloosa.
    Of the many Bama fans I know, only two actually graduated from there and neither wear Bama gear or have Bama stickers or tags on their vehicles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Of the many Bama fans I know, only two actually graduated from there and neither wear Bama gear or have Bama stickers or tags on their vehicles.
    I think most Bama grads pay enough for that piece of paper to live in trailer park.

vCash
    There are more Alabama fans in Rankin County than Pearl and Brandon fans combined. Front runnerism is strong with that bunch!

vCash
    Lowndes county.... huge Bama fan base. Zero to few Bama grads. But Columbus Walmart keeps them supplied. Ha.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 08-02-2022 at 06:45 PM.

vCash
    Didn't mean to imply that it did. But as far as I can tell, the coast is full of people that actually attended LSU or at least had a parent or child that did. And they actually attend games. Just a different animal than alabama fans.

vCash
    Mississippi suffers from not having a large city to unite the majority of the state.

All of the highway 45 corridor, especially Columbus to meridian is influenced by Tuscaloosa and Birmingham TV/news. Memphis TV/news covers everywhere from Cleveland over to New Albany. I have no experience on the coast but I assume it is dominated by New Orleans tv/news. I guess the only influence Jackson has on the state is middle to west. South of 82 down to.... where? Brookhaven?

I've known two guys from Natchez. Both I meet working in Memphis. Funny enough both are LSU fans and both are UofMemphis graduates.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 08-03-2022 at 10:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Mississippi suffers from not having a large city to unite the majority of the state.

All of the highway 45 corridor, especially Columbus to meridian is influenced by Tuscaloosa and Birmingham TV/news. Memphis TV/news covers everywhere from Cleveland over to New Albany. I have no experience on the coast but I assume it is dominated by New Orleans tv/news. I guess the only influence Jackson has on the state is middle to west. South of 82 down to.... where? Brookhaven?
    Good point, plus if we just had one major "sports" university, like LA, ARK, TN, it would give the whole state a single university to rally around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Good point, plus if we just had one major "sports" university, like LA, ARK, TN, it would give the whole state a single university to rally around.
    This has a tremendous impact. Couple that with Bama being Bama and only 80 miles away from Starkville don't help much either.

Bama has sidewalk fans everywhere. Everyone want to be associated with a winner and people will say and do whatever. They are not real fans. Bama fans love Bama football. MSU fans love MSU.

I will say this, living in Alabama, there are a ton of MSU fans in the state and it ain't just alumni folks either. Local media where I live pump Bama, Auburn and UT but MSU is the third most popular team in the state of Alabama and it ain't even close. The media is the other part of the problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

I've known two guys from Natchez. Both I meet working in Memphis. Funny enough both are LSU fans and both are UofMemphis graduates.
    The HWY 45 corridor north of Columbus has no contact with Tuscaloosa or Birmingham news. There used to be some contact with Memphis news but not much anymore. That area is dominated by Tupelo.

vCash
    With all the "TV" viewing options available today, I don't think local TV stations have much impact at all as they had in the past. I don't watch local sports news anymore. SEC Network & internet sites.

vCash
    Did a lot of growing up in the western part of the Ms. coast. We used have a pretty large MSU fanbalum base on the coast. All the way from Pascagoula to Waveland. Yes there were a bunch of LSU fans. There were a bunch of USM fans/alums. But they generally only wore black/gold only when USM was doing good. The rest of the time they were staunch LSU fans. Ole Miss IMO fans were almost non-existent. If they did wear Ole Miss or have Ole Miss on their car they were usually tourists.

As my grandma used to say about tourist that came to the Ms gulf coast. They show up with a $20.00 dollar bill and a pair of dirty shorts and don?t change either one.

vCash

My high school basketball coach in 1958, Harold Owens, was from the Belmont/Golden area. After an All-Service career playing for the U S Air Force, he was signed by the New York Knickerbockers but suffered a career ending knee injury when he collided with Harry 'The Horse' Gallatin during a practice session. Coach Owens was one of the finest persons I have ever known. Local long-time educator in Desoto County, Theron Long, was also from that area.

vCash
    Walmart is going to cater to whichever teams sell the most product. All they care is about the money