Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

vCash
    I got the first two shots but I don?t plan on getting anymore for COVID. I had it in January and had minor symptoms but it was more a cold. Once again, this is a case of Republican extremes and Democrat extremes looking for arguments. I think the vaccine would?ve been more beneficial for the original COVID but after the mutations it weakened. I think some people might have reactions but I know a ton of people that got the shot and nothing happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    When I was a little kid in the 60s it started in mid September. I think it stayed that way till at least the mid 70s. My Dad was an ex coach and still was announcing then. Fact remains if they REALLY wanted to do something about the heat in football they would push the season back at LEAST a month. This farce of starting the games at 7:30 instead of 7 is just that, a farce. Practice is where almost all the problems happen.
    Moving football back a month isn't going to happen. I think it would probably help to practice earlier and shorter, but then you're taking up even more of the coaches and players summers. Maybe they could allow coaches to do mandatory conditioning throughout the summer, provided it's structured where students can at least have two full weeks off if they want it. Require that the mandatory conditioning be no more than an hour, no pads, and has to be finished before 10 or start after 4.

Alternatively (or in addition), they could just put more restrictions on temperature. May not be feasible to prevent practice in hot conditions, but maybe limit the time of practice if heat index is above a certain amount. I assume teams already more or less practice early morning or late afternoon, but maybe put requirements around that to keep people out of the hottest time of day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I got the first two shots but I don?t plan on getting anymore for COVID. I had it in January and had minor symptoms but it was more a cold. Once again, this is a case of Republican extremes and Democrat extremes looking for arguments. I think the vaccine would?ve been more beneficial for the original COVID but after the mutations it weakened. I think some people might have reactions but I know a ton of people that got the shot and nothing happened.
    Due to cancer treatments and oncologist recommendations, I've had both shots and a booster. Since then I've had confirmed Covid twice and another suspected case. Needless to say, I'm done with any shots for Covid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    When I was a little kid in the 60s it started in mid September. I think it stayed that way till at least the mid 70s. My Dad was an ex coach and still was announcing then. Fact remains if they REALLY wanted to do something about the heat in football they would push the season back at LEAST a month. This farce of starting the games at 7:30 instead of 7 is just that, a farce. Practice is where almost all the problems happen.
    Agreed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    my thoughts as well and it probably is. Myocarditis is a problem for some kids who necessarily got the vaccine. I know one kid in national guard who had to leave because he refused to getting the vaccine due to 2 of his friends dying after getting it. Both under the age of 25.
    Myocarditis and pericarditis are more common after getting Covid than getting the vaccine. There is a minute chance of getting myocarditis after the mRNA vaccine, but it's extremely small.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Myocarditis and pericarditis are more common after getting Covid than getting the vaccine. There is a minute chance of getting myocarditis after the mRNA vaccine, but it's extremely small.
    YEP.

vCash
    I just want baseball pushed back to at least first of March. First month of baseball season is in the winter and it's brutal

vCash
    Early 70's, we practiced 2 a days in August on a mainly dirt practice field with some gravel with sled work involved. Very few water breaks. Lot also served as parking lot for student vehicles. Students show up August 4th in my county for classes and temperatures are brutal for first few football games. Never understand MS schools starting in early August and paying for ac in hottest month of summer. Should start in September. Prayers to this young man's family, friends, teammates, and all involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    That?s not true. I know since the 70?s football started the 1st Monday of August and you played your first game on the 4th Friday of August.
    My son's school had "voluntary" workouts through late June and most of July and mandatory started last week or so. And that was after the spring workouts in early May.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    My son's school had "voluntary" workouts through late June and most of July and mandatory started last week or so. And that was after the spring workouts in early May.
    Same. My son has been going three hours a day, 4 days a week, since school let out in May. They’ve been conditioning all summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Same. My son has been going three hours a day, 4 days a week, since school let out in May. They’ve been conditioning all summer.
    Damn. I think we did weights that you could finish in about an hour if you were diligent, maybe a little longer, and then probably 30 minutes of conditioning outside. But our coaches had to account for summer jobs. They already had to take turns closing up at 7:00.

vCash
    The conditioning is great for these kids but give them a shovel a wheelbarrow and 5 yards of dirt that has to be moved. Nothing beats that..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    We went 3 days a week from 8-11am in June and then 4 days a week in July. As is the case with most schools- the ones that really need the conditioning and workouts hardly showed up.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    The conditioning is great for these kids but give them a shovel a wheelbarrow and 5 yards of dirt that has to be moved. Nothing beats that..
    Or a bunch of hay to bail and load.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Or a bunch of hay to bail and load.
    Hardest I ever got hit was by a farm boy from George county. I asked him what type of weight training did they do. He said loading bales of hay into a barn
    Last edited by parabrave; 08-04-2022 at 02:00 PM.

vCash
    We went 3 days a week from 8-11am in June and then 4 days a week in July. As is the case with most schools- the ones that really need the conditioning and workouts hardly showed up.
    So playing football and having an 8-5 summer job are basically incompatible? That sucks. I suspect a job would benefit a lot of kids more than playing football, and doing both seems better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    So playing football and having an 8-5 summer job are basically incompatible? That sucks. I suspect a job would benefit a lot of kids more than playing football, and doing both seems better.
    Well year round schooling is about to those summer jobs,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    hahaha- you serious Clark? A very small percentage of kids would get an 8-5 job even if someone would hire them. Nor would their parents make them altho some do work part-time. Our biggest problem is the kids staying up till 4-5am playing XBox online against their friends and then being too sleepy to come to workout.

That doesnt even include the kids playing 7 on 7 in the summer, traveling around the city, state, and other states....summer basketball for about 50 games 3-4 days a week, and your baseball players playing 60 games a summer.

Kids need to be kids. They have the rest of their life to be a worker bee to pay the government tax coffers so Pelosi can fly to the Far East to start a war on a whim
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    In the early 70?s it was three weeks of two a days if memory serves, still beat what most rural kids did on farms/mills all summer AND in between practices. And yes I remember having water break denied because Coach wasn?t happy and being fed salt pills.

vCash
    hahaha- you serious Clark? A very small percentage of kids would get an 8-5 job even if someone would hire them. Nor would their parents make them altho some do work part-time. Our biggest problem is the kids staying up till 4-5am playing XBox online against their friends and then being too sleepy to come to workout.

That doesnt even include the kids playing 7 on 7 in the summer, traveling around the city, state, and other states....summer basketball for about 50 games 3-4 days a week, and your baseball players playing 60 games a summer.

Kids need to be kids. They have the rest of their life to be a worker bee to pay the government tax coffers so Pelosi can fly to the Far East to start a war on a whim
    Our summer football conditioning and lifting was always at night in the 80's. Because everyone had a summer job during the day (usually an outdoor job). After conditioning you went home and went to bed. Two-a-day practices were usually 7-10 AM and 6-9 PM starting the first week in August. As a sophomore I was second string tailback so I had to scrimmage against first team defense. First week of full pads I carried the ball over 150 times in 5 days, all full contact, tackle to the ground against a mostly senior defense. I thought I would die. After 3 weeks of practice I became the starting strong safety, which meant no more scout team tailback. Our coach liked salt pills and said water would make you cramp up.

Edited to add: We practiced on the baseball outfield. And it didn't matter if it rained. I wasn't a baseball player, but I'm sure the outfielders got some bad hops from all the divots caused during 4 months of football practice. And the ground was hard as a rock with very little grass after about 1 week. Nobody watered a field back then like they do now.
    Last edited by somebodyshotmypaw; 08-04-2022 at 03:38 PM.