Thread: Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    I don't remember kids dropping dead in the 60s and 70s, when I grew up. They may have and we just never heard about it since that was the days before 1000 TV channels and the Internet. If it is the case that kids did not drop dead in times past, then what has changed? Is it too much indoor time as a kid, contaminated environment or other?

Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    I don't remember kids dropping dead in the 60s and 70s, when I grew up. They may have and we just never heard about it since that was the days before 1000 TV channels and the Internet. If it is the case that kids did not drop dead in times past, then what has changed? Is it too much indoor time as a kid, contaminated environment or other?

Thoughts?
    HS Football started in mid-September back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    But pre-season practice started in August - the hottest month in MS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    But pre-season practice started in August - the hottest month in MS.
    And it starts in July now.

vCash
    That?s not true. I know since the 70?s football started the 1st Monday of August and you played your first game on the 4th Friday of August.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    That?s not true. I know since the 70?s football started the 1st Monday of August and you played your first game on the 4th Friday of August.
    When I was a little kid in the 60s it started in mid September. I think it stayed that way till at least the mid 70s. My Dad was an ex coach and still was announcing then. Fact remains if they REALLY wanted to do something about the heat in football they would push the season back at LEAST a month. This farce of starting the games at 7:30 instead of 7 is just that, a farce. Practice is where almost all the problems happen.

vCash
    When I was a little kid in the 60s it started in mid September. I think it stayed that way till at least the mid 70s. My Dad was an ex coach and still was announcing then. Fact remains if they REALLY wanted to do something about the heat in football they would push the season back at LEAST a month. This farce of starting the games at 7:30 instead of 7 is just that, a farce. Practice is where almost all the problems happen.
    Moving football back a month isn't going to happen. I think it would probably help to practice earlier and shorter, but then you're taking up even more of the coaches and players summers. Maybe they could allow coaches to do mandatory conditioning throughout the summer, provided it's structured where students can at least have two full weeks off if they want it. Require that the mandatory conditioning be no more than an hour, no pads, and has to be finished before 10 or start after 4.

Alternatively (or in addition), they could just put more restrictions on temperature. May not be feasible to prevent practice in hot conditions, but maybe limit the time of practice if heat index is above a certain amount. I assume teams already more or less practice early morning or late afternoon, but maybe put requirements around that to keep people out of the hottest time of day.

vCash
    Agreed