Thread: Connor Hujsak from VCU is Starkville Bound

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    did we sign the ambidextrous pitcher?
    He's coming to school

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoplectic View Post
    Who did we outbid?
    Alabama, auburn and usce from sec, Florida state and notre dame, were after him.Some schools from big10. Some other smaller schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Alabama, auburn and usce from sec, Florida state and notre dame, were after him.Some schools from big10. Some other smaller schools.
    I can't imagine those teams would be on him as a DH. That tells me he has a shot to be our SS.

vCash
    More like DH. Career infielder, not sure how much defensively you'd get in outfield from him. Would probably be more of a liability out there. I'm sure he'll get a look out there but not sure how much we'd get defensively. Dudes a solid hitter though.
    I'll be surprised if he DH's. Kid has played SS for 2 years in D-1 baseball
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I can't imagine those teams would be on him as a DH. That tells me he has a shot to be our SS.
    I'm not saying those teams were looking at him as dh, I'm saying those are the teams i know were in on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'll be surprised if he DH's. Kid has played SS for 2 years in D-1 baseball
    He's also played third and first but he's not good defensively at ss. Now he could get a shot at third but I can't see him playing ss, he's not good there at all.

vCash
    He's also played third and first but he's not good defensively at ss. Now he could get a shot at third but I can't see him playing ss, he's not good there at all.
    Slate Alford is very good defensively at 3B and had a good summer with the bat. I think he will get first crack at 3B with a pretty long leash. I just can't imagine a D1 SS would have transferred here to DH as you said in another post. You can improve defensively with reps and good coaching. Jordan Westburg wasn't great defensively as a freshman. Now he has a legendary work ethic, but he got much better. I feel like this guy will get a shot at SS.

vCash
    Oh I hear ya on that. Altho I do find it interesting Foreskin left his summer team just a couple of days after joining it and didnt play any summer ball.

If he is good enough to play some SS in D-1 baseball he is likely to compete for a position and play it for us.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Oh I hear ya on that. Altho I do find it interesting Foreskin left his summer team just a couple of days after joining it and didnt play any summer ball.
    He supposedly got popped in the face taking infield and messed up his nose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Slate Alford is very good defensively at 3B and had a good summer with the bat. I think he will get first crack at 3B with a pretty long leash. I just can't imagine a D1 SS would have transferred here to DH as you said in another post. You can improve defensively with reps and good coaching. Jordan Westburg wasn't great defensively as a freshman. Now he has a legendary work ethic, but he got much better. I feel like this guy will get a shot at SS.
    Oh I'm sure he'll get a shot at ss and if he wins it great but I don't expect much defensively from him.

vCash

If he is good enough to play some SS in D-1 baseball he is likely to compete for a position and play it for us.
    Oh I agree he's gonna get a shot at ss for sure and I love the fact we bringing in competition at positions and if he wins it great but I don't expect much from him defensively. Now the dude can hit and is extremely athletic and I suppose outfield is a shot but it's just not that easy for a career infielder to move out there especially at this level. I really think this is a good get for us, I like the guy.

vCash
    If he struggled defensively at SS but can hit and is athletic, I would bet he is being brought in as a possibility in the OF, or if someone on the infield struggles, he gets a look there. Sort of a utility type player.

If those other schools had serious interest in him, he must be a good prospect with the bat and they will find a spot for him. I?m going to be surprised if Forsythe isn?t playing SS but whatever happens, competition is good and you can never have too many good options.
    Last edited by AlSwearengen; 08-01-2022 at 06:27 AM.

vCash
    Oh I'm sure he'll get a shot at ss and if he wins it great but I don't expect much defensively from him.
    I'm a little surprised we took him. Given we need an OF or more pitching he doesn't really seem to meet an immediate need for us. But I guess he could be a backup SS that could come in and provide more offense if needed. Not really sure what our SS options are behind Forsythe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    If he struggled defensively at SS but can hit and is athletic, I would bet he is being brought in as a possibility in the OF, or if someone on the infield struggles, he gets a look there. Sort of a utility type player.

If those other schools had serious interest in him, he must be a good prospect with the bat and they will find a spot for him. I?m going to be surprised if Forsythe isn?t playing SS but whatever happens, competition is good and you can never have too many good options.
    I agree, having someone play SS with .901 average in fielding will get in the SS. If he is athletic maybe, he could play the outfield. Looks like a good get for us regardless.

vCash
    Pretty sure you will see him in multiple positions this year. You are nuts if you think he will take Starting SS duties. Only way that happens is if Forsythe gets hurt. There will be a lot of competition and position battles but SS is not one of them.