Thread: Non-SEC Football road trips 1980-present

vCash

Non-SEC Football road trips 1980-present

1980 is the first MSU football season that I remember very well. I can remember bits and pieces of 78 and 79, but remember listening to all 1980 games on the radio, watching the Emory Bellard show, reading the articles and boxscores in the newspapers, etc. Anyway, the point of my topic is if anyone has any interesting non-SEC road trip stores from that time period. I know we are at Arizona this year, and Im thinking of going.
    Any interesting memories or stories from the following games:
    1980-@ Illinois and Miami
    1981-@Colorado St
    1982-@Miami
    1984-@Missouri
    1986-@Syracuse
    1992-@Texas
    1995-@Baylor
    1998-@OK State
    2000-@BYU
    2002-@Oregon
    2003-@Houston
    2007-@West VA
    2008-@GA Tech
    2010-@Houston
    2013-OK State(@Houston)
    2016-@BYU
    2018-@Kansas State

vCash
    it's not on here but either 2012 or 2013 at Troy .... Highschool type stadium. I was already mad because they took my cigarettes and lighter away at the gate when they made us empty our pockets ... Tyler Russell had a pretty good night but Troy just wouldn't go away and we kept letting them right back in the game..... I said all that just to say I Hate Troy and will never go back - I hope we never play them again

ETA - 2008 @ Ga Tech sucked ... sitting in a hot sun watching that crap unfold on the field - we left at half time to watch the rest of the game from a Taco Mac.
    - 1980 Jackson Memorial Stadium against USM ... I'll just stop right there
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 07-29-2022 at 11:46 AM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    1980 is the first MSU football season that I remember very well. I can remember bits and pieces of 78 and 79, but remember listening to all 1980 games on the radio, watching the Emory Bellard show, reading the articles and boxscores in the newspapers, etc. Anyway, the point of my topic is if anyone has any interesting non-SEC road trip stores from that time period. I know we are at Arizona this year, and Im thinking of going.
    1981-@Colorado St
    1982-@Miami
    1984-@Missouri
    1986-@Syracuse
    1992-@Texas
    1995-@Baylor
    1998-@OK State
    2000-@BYU
    2002-@Oregon
    2003-@Houston
    2007-@West VA
    2008-@GA Tech
    2010-@Houston
    2013-OK State(@Houston)
    2016-@BYU
    2018-@Kansas State
    Went to the game at Oregon. That was fun, because a bunch of State fans got on the Oregon message boards weeks before the game and ended up tailgating with them.

Our trip to Oregon was fun, stayed at the Timberline Lodge under Mt. Hood. Would have driven down the Oregon coast but missed our flight (got to the gate 40 minutes before departure and 9/11 rules said 45 minimum) and flew out there the next day.

Didn't go to the game at Miami but did go to the Orange Bowl. Had a good trip to Miami, stayed in a Brickell penthouse airbnb, I think was owned by a mobster. Game was just ok.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    it's not on here but either 2012 or 2013 at Troy .... Highschool type stadium. I was already mad because they took my cigarettes and lighter away at the gate when they made us empty our pockets ... Tyler Russell had a pretty good night but Troy just wouldn't go away and we kept letting them right back in the game..... I said all that just to say I Hate Troy and will never go back - I hope we never play them again

ETA - 2008 @ Ga Tech sucked ... sitting in a hot sun watching that crap unfold on the field - we left at half time to watch the rest of the game from a Taco Mac.
    - 1980 Jackson Memorial Stadium against USM ... I'll just stop right there
    Yeah, I didn't put in places like Memphis and Tulane that were frequent and close road trips, nor did I include the trips to G5's like UAB in 06 and 11, LA Tech in 08(have heard bad stories from this one) and 17, MTSU in 09, your aforementioned Troy trip in 12, South AL in 14, or UMass in Foxboro in 2016. I'd like to hear stories on these as well. That USM game in 80 was actually at Starkville. You must be thinking about the 7-6 game in 1981 where I believe we were both Too 10. I know we were. They may have been 13 or so.
    Last edited by msudawg1200; 07-29-2022 at 12:05 PM.

vCash
    Wow. That's really impressive and tip of the cap to you!

I went to Oregon, Memphis many times, MTSU... and bowl games. I'd love to go to Arizona this year. However I'm not sure it's in the cards.

vCash
    1981-@Colorado St
    1982-@Miami
    1984-@Missouri
    1986-@Syracuse
    1992-@Texas
    1995-@Baylor
    1998-@OK State
    2000-@BYU
    2002-@Oregon
    2003-@Houston
    2007-@West VA
    2008-@GA Tech
    2010-@Houston
    2013-OK State(@Houston)
    2016-@BYU
    2018-@Kansas State
    I have not been on a lot of non-conference road trip games, but I was at Hattiesburg in '89 when we beat that crooked pervert Brett Farve. That game was a lot of fun.

vCash
    You must be thinking about the 7-6 game in 1981 where I believe we were both Too 10. I know we were. They may have been 13 or so.
    Yep- the 1981 game was in Jackson. Those 2 teams tried to kill each other that day. We just couldnt get in the end zone
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Yeah, That USM game in 80 was actually at Starkville. You must be thinking about the 7-6 game in 1981 where I believe we were both Too 10. I know we were. They may have been 13 or so.
    I just looked it up, and we were #15 and they were #20. It was the week before against Bama that we were #7 and they were #8. They beat us 13-10 dropping us to #14. USM came in 6-0-1, while we were 6-2.

vCash
    The only road state games I attended were UAB 2006 and WVU 2007. Even though we were bad in 2006 and we barely beat UAB it was an exciting ending. 2007 WVU was just awful. There was legit nothing good about that and it was disappointing because I thought we would at least be competitive. To be fair WVU did have Pat White that year and would?ve went to the NC game if Rich Rod didn?t quit before the Pitt loss at the end of the year

vCash
    UAB '06 - Night game Hot. Went with Darren Seybold who was head grounds keeper at The Hoover Met at that time and now is Director of Athletic Fields at UTK. Horrible playing surface at Legion Field. Synthetic turf was very slippery. Remember seeing Jimmy Shannon, a guy Darren and I were in turf with, sitting a section over from us.

Texas '92. Night game - Went with 2 other Dawgs and 5 Longhorn fans. Weather didn't seem too bad. Had friends at UT we stayed with them for the weekend. They had come up to the game in Starkville the year before. Justin Leonard had just won the US Amateur and was introduced at halftime. Not too long of a drive out there but damn it seemed like it took FOREVER to get back to Starkville. I believe we played on synthetic turf

Troy '12 - Night game - Went to this game alone. Weather was Hot. Remember where I parked. Remember thinking that Troy had a cool little stadium. Aggravated that we could never pull away from them that night. Also remember thinking, as I drove down, that it was a possibility we might not win the game. Saw no one there that I knew. I believe we played on synthetic turf.

vCash
    Dad carried me to an early 60's game in Memphis at Crump Stadium.
    Another game in Memphis that was scorching hot and a Biblical ark needing downpour in Memphis , don't remember the years.
    Best Memphis game - The what, 90 plus yard drive with less than 2 minutes left and a 2 point conversion led by Rockey Felker at QB to win 29-28. Melvin Barkum made a couple of clutch catches on the drive. I ran out on the field to congratulate my friend Larry Gillard who I played against in HS, (Him at 220 and me at 140). He was my man on our receiving kickoff team. I knocked him off his feet at our 40 and he still got up to make a TD saving tackle. Great athlete and good guy!

Sorry, didn't notice 1980 - present guidelines. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 07-31-2022 at 02:57 PM.

vCash
    Went to USCe in 94 back when we played home and away games. I remember Bouie running up the gut for a 40 yard TD. Willis Brice is a great Stadium. The next year they beat the crap out of us in Starkville. Well for non SEC game Tulane back in the early 90's. I don't think they had any fans in the dome that night.
    Last edited by parabrave; 07-31-2022 at 01:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Yep- the 1981 game was in Jackson. Those 2 teams tried to kill each other that day. We just couldnt get in the end zone
    Yep that's it ... and we had a first round draft pick running the ball for us
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    The only non-con road game I ever went to was Memphis in 2000. Man, was that a mistake. We had gone from Brunswick to SE Missouri to see my wife's family. One of my best friends was living in OB at the time, so we decided to all go.
    Well, we had a 15 month old, my wife was 5 months pregnant, and it was hotter than the surface of the sun. Getting into the stadium took forever, I think they ran out of water in the first quarter, horribly ugly game that we somehow won, wife and daughter left at half time, and I lasted until the end of the 3rd before I couldn't take it anymore. After a week at my in-laws, it was the fly on the turd of a vacation.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18