Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skenes just announced LSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Didn't you just say we lost Skenes b/c of the pitching coach?
    Yea we did. I was responding to the broader point about people not wanting to support NIL. We had a sizable NIL deal for Skenes.

The only other thing NIL wise we could have done would just have been to absolutely blow everyone away and offer a high 6 figure NIL deal, which right now we unfortunately do not have the capabilities to do.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 07-29-2022 at 10:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Some of us don?t have the means to donate.
    Everyone can afford 20 a month just cut out 1 trip to Burger King and eat some carrots. It has been my experience in life that people find a way to do what they want to do if it is important to them, unless you are a senior citizen on a fixed income.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This one did not come down to NIL. It came down to Wes Johnson. Now I have let my thoughts be known on Arm Murderer multiple times. The guy left around 15 arms needing Tommy John in 3 years between us and Arkansas but somehow kept getting better jobs. We could match anything LSU offered NIL wise, but this came down to Skenes wanting to work with Wes over Foxhall
    Fwiw, I was told the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Fwiw, I was told the same thing.
    Very possible

It’s also possible that’s the excuse he gave while at the same time it’s a coincidence he got more than twice from LSU as us. People can draw their own conclusions
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    All those personalities on one team will be interesting
    What the hell does this even mean?
    No Signature

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    LSU is next year?s Tennessee.
    fade out in Supers? Fantastic!
    No Signature

vCash
    Not to be that guy, and I didn't want to post this pre decision, but I think his value may be more as a hitter than a pitcher. He can definitely help on the mound, but he's not Landon sims. Much more Preston Johnson.
    And yes, I would still love to have him. But I don't think there is a sizeable gap between he and Gartman, the Memphis transfer.

He didn't pitch against a team all year that made the ncaa tourney. Not one. He only pitched against one power 5 team all regular season and was shelled, didn't make it through the 4th inning, and had a era of 11.
    Then in the ncaa tourney he was shelled again, didn't make it past the 4th, and era was 9.00.
    He didn't pitch against anybody else any good this year. Below are all his appearances.

Iowa - shelled
    Navy - 19-26 record
    Nevada twice - 29-26 record
    Unlv three times - 36-22 record
    New Mexico twice - 21-33 record
    Fresno state twice - 27-28 record
    Cal Baptist - 36-20 record
    San Diego State - 18-38 record
    San Jose State - 30-29 record

Texas (ncaa tourney) - shelled

vCash
    Not to be that guy, and I didn't want to post this pre decision, but I think his value may be more as a hitter than a pitcher. He can definitely help on the mound, but he's not Landon sims. Much more Preston Johnson.
    And yes, I would still love to have him. But I don't think there is a sizeable gap between he and Gartman, the Memphis transfer.

He didn't pitch against a team all year that made the ncaa tourney. Not one. He only pitched against one power 5 team all regular season and was shelled, didn't make it through the 4th inning, and had a era of 11.
    Then in the ncaa tourney he was shelled again, didn't make it past the 4th, and era was 9.00.
    He didn't pitch against anybody else any good this year. Below are all his appearances.

Iowa - shelled
    Navy - 19-26 record
    Nevada twice - 29-26 record
    Unlv three times - 36-22 record
    New Mexico twice - 21-33 record
    Fresno state twice - 27-28 record
    Cal Baptist - 36-20 record
    San Diego State - 18-38 record
    San Jose State - 30-29 record

Texas (ncaa tourney) - shelled

Now that we are enemies, you don't need to hold back.

I hope Skenes is a little school fraud. I hope Christian Little pulls a Simone Biles in a Super Regional, "I have to prioritize my Mental health". I hope Thatcher Hurd catches Monkey Pox and has to quarantine for 50 days in June. Tommy White, those ACC stats won't translate to SEC stats.

The real problem is that LSU has amazing money resources. MSU needs to get a list of LSU targets, bid them Up to the moon, then say "Sorry, the car wash that was paying the offer got hit by Tornado. But you have that LSU Offer!"

vCash
    NIL isn't why LSU loaded up. They had a shit ton of open spots, they're a better program, and they've got a great staff.
    We will continue to sign pitchers that can throw hard and beat the backstop to death & give up bombs. Our evaluation under Foxhall has been mediocre at best (he did hit on a couple including Bednar). The fact we didn't go harder after a couple pitchers and chose to wait on Skenes is a problem too. Now, we're short a couple spots including a proven rotation pitcher. Foxhall better hit on a couple guys this time or he can hit the damn road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    NIL isn't why LSU loaded up. They had a shit ton of open spots, they're a better program, and they've got a great staff.
    We will continue to sign pitchers that can throw hard and beat the backstop to death & give up bombs. Our evaluation under Foxhall has been mediocre at best (he did hit on a couple including Bednar). The fact we didn't go harder after a couple pitchers and chose to wait on Skenes is a problem too. Now, we're short a couple spots including a proven rotation pitcher. Foxhall better hit on a couple guys this time or he can hit the damn road.
    I'm not going to be as critical of Foxhall as some on here but I will say this, if our pitchers don't show more development than they showed last year then he needs to move on.........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    The whole NIL stuff is just sickening.
    Anyways.....good luck Cigar boys. Because as far back as I can remember.....which is the "Thunder and Lightning" duo from west Point, Doug 20 Buckles on and on....State folds when the pot grows. It sucks.
    Who was thunder and lightning from WP and where did they end up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Who was thunder and lightning from WP and where did they end up?
    I wanna say Sykes was lightning. Cant remember Thunder's name but seems like he was the better one of the two
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Robert Smith and Shawn Sykes

Late 80’s I think?

vCash
    For those of you who believe this came down to NIL, no complaining from you unless you've donated.
    Yep, we "Built It and They will Come" will not do it alone. Most SEC schools have good baseball facilities in the West especially. Now kids will grow up a NIL fan, not a MSU, OM, bama, AU fan, etc. Loyalty now begins with a $ign. Paying under the table days don't seem so bad now. Classic rock, muscle cars, and college sports gone as I knew them. But, I'll be there with 7 of my family for the Memphis FB game continuing 50 plus years of being season ticket holders. Hail State!

vCash
    This all day. If you are going to moan and complain about how NIL ruins sports and you are never going to give a dime of your money to it then that is completely within your right. However, do not then turn around and moan and complain that we are not getting any good players. Right now this is the name of the game, maybe that changes and maybe it does not. But if we do not adapt, then we will become bottom dwellers in every sport, and yes that includes baseball.
    Well, it technically hasn't ruined all sports, just college sports. High School nor pros squeeze their fans for additional money just to get or keep players well above and beyond tickets and booster clubs. And no matter how much we give richer alumni bases can and will always outspend us in any sport. These guys aren't really student athletes anymore, they are just paid mercenaries that are enrolled in college..

vCash
    This one did not come down to NIL. It came down to Wes Johnson. Now I have let my thoughts be known on Arm Murderer multiple times. The guy left around 15 arms needing Tommy John in 3 years between us and Arkansas but somehow kept getting better jobs. We could match anything LSU offered NIL wise, but this came down to Skenes wanting to work with Wes over Foxhall
    Opinion or inside info?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Robert Smith and Shawn Sykes

Late 80’s I think?
    Yes. They are the first recruiting battle I remember. Mostly because I was a kid in the GTR then. The local barber was a big State fan. He was chatting them up. Saying they are going to be Bulldogs. Billy Brewer visits them and then... they sign at OM.

Sykes was good at OM. Smith didn't do much.

In all fairness. I remember David Fair being a huge deal too. Obviously a win for State there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Opinion or inside info?
    Pretty close to the situation with baseball. Take Wes out of the equation and we probably get him.

vCash
    Pretty close to the situation with baseball. Take Wes out of the equation and we probably get him.
    Which is weird. I'd argue Everywhere he has left lately has gotten better

vCash
    Which is weird. I'd argue Everywhere he has left lately has gotten better
    It comes down to the MLB connections he has and LSU being able to sell that he knows what it takes to succeed at the major league level. He knows what it will take to be in the starting rotation at that level. Personal feelings about the guy aside, that is a hell of a recruiting pitch.