Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for the camp fire

vCash
    😂
    The key here some people have said it. He would be top but it would be very even. He does, it makes you wonder what football would look like it it was purely on coaching ability outside of recruiting ability.

vCash
    How many times is pass interference due to just poor form versus an inferior player trying to overcome the talent differential and maybe hold the jersey a little too much?
    How many times is a holding call due to the coaching staff's poor practice routine versus a slower OL matched up with a much more talented rusher?

My point being, Saban for sure gets credit for his program, discipline and all. But, let's be honest, as a Bama player, you rarely if ever face a more talented player lined up against you. So you rarely have to decide between pass interference or a giving up a TD or a holding call versus giving up a sack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    There is a lot of "correct" in this thread...

Saban, himself, was quoted as saying, [paraphrasing] "I'm not a great coach, but I'm a good recruiter." Due to that, he has the luxury of "processing" players that don't buy in on "the process"...

It's a machine, for sure.
    Verbatim to the ad who hired him “you didn’t hire a great coach, you hired a great recruiter.”

But the two interceptions against us last year were definitely tendency calls versus down & distance

vCash
    Why did they lose to uga in the NC game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Saban is great at building a program and recruiting to sustain a high level. He has more coaches and top talent than everyone else, as has already been mentioned. When you consider ALL THINGS, he's an elite coach. However, Saban has been out coached in game on plenty of occasions. Talent overcomes mistakes quite regularly.
    To build on what others has said, he has cream of the crop in talent, can choose from them, has a ton of staff to develop and game plan but on top of all that he can be a disciplinarian (for lack of a better word). Kids that go to Alabama will listen and respond to what he says. Other coaches that try to act that way and demand perfection, we'll this day and age, the kids will get mad and transfer.

vCash
    Saban has been "outcoached" in games because HCs aren't the ones making adjustments- that's the coordinators. Saban is elite at feeling the pulse of his team- remember pulling Hurts for Tua at halftime? He knows what his team needs and has the balls to do it.

Why are his teams so disciplined? Well in addition to being able to take the high IQ recruits, Saban is clear to all that they'll have to be damned near perfect to see the field. There's no "well I made 2 1 handed TD catches in practice, so I can be a lazy blocker and they'll still play be due to my talent". 5* or not, you WILL ride the pine if you aren't great at everything... discipline included.

Saban takes a wholistic approach because he's smart- he doesn't just play the guys with the high ceilings, he plays the guys that will help the team. No false starts, no dropped passes, no missed assignments. Done like it? You'll be processed.

vCash
    I don't hate Saban at all - I admire a guy that can do what he's done and in my opinion he is the GOAT .... Bama wasn't recruiting itself before he got there the way it does now and that's because of Saban's drive to be the best. I'm seeing a lot of excuses for his success ... think about that - EXCUSES for success. Now I'm like everyone else in that I'm ready for the man to retire and give the rest of the conference a break... but I'll never believe with the young short memories of todays young athletes that they are drawn to Bama just because it's Alabama - they're there because of Saban making Bama what it is .... today's student athletes would have to read a book to know who Bear Bryant was
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.