Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the camp fire

vCash

Question for the camp fire

I know we all hate Saben except for Tusk. I myself would love to see what he could do without all the star power that he brings in.

My question though: if you watch a bama game the team executes, they don?t miss blocks, they don?t drop balls, they don?t miss tackles, they don?t seem to get flagged very often. My point is even though Saben gets his star power I still think he would be at or near the top in a completely equal talent league based on the perfection at which his teams play. It always boggles my mind that other teams cannot execute like bama does. There is something that he does that is different. Even different from other blue bloods Ohio state, Michigan, Texas? whatever.

Do you guys see that as well?

vCash
    I think they commit certain penalties at the same rate as other schools. It's just not called. Holding is a prime example. What they don't do is commit stupid penalties like false start or pass interference on 3 and 17 extending a drive. But all of what you mentioned comes down to one word...discipline. He has the elite of the elite recruits so they are already above average talent wise and usually work ethic wise. They probably already possess a lot of on field discipline. So it's not like he's taking scraps and turning it into diamonds. But he's a hard nose unmerciless dictator that demands perfection and the players know if they don't give 100% every play there's 5 guys behind them just as talented just waiting for their shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I think they commit certain penalties at the same rate as other schools. It's just not called. Holding is a prime example. What they don't do is commit stupid penalties like false start or pass interference on 3 and 17 extending a drive. But all of what you mentioned comes down to one word...discipline. He has the elite of the elite recruits so they are already above average talent wise and usually work ethic wise. They probably already possess a lot of on field discipline. So it's not like he's taking scraps and turning it into diamonds. But he's a hard nose unmerciless dictator that demands perfection and the players know if they don't give 100% every play there's 5 guys behind them just as talented just waiting for their shot.
    Yes and not naming any names but I can think of one player we were over the moon to get as a transfer until we realized why he didn't start there(kept jumping off sides).

He can just let the next guy up that doesn't make this mistakes.

vCash
    Saban is a really, really, really good coach. If he had to play with average players then he would still be respectable but national championships are won by the players not the coaches.

Good coaches give players the chance to maximize their abilities. You can't get greatness from average players but you can get shit from great players with bad coaching.

The combination of Saban and his domineering, detailed coaching style and Bama's recruiting machine will give you a dynasty. Saban could do it elsewhere but not just anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I know we all hate Saben except for Tusk. I myself would love to see what he could do without all the star power that he brings in.

My question though: if you watch a bama game the team executes, they don?t miss blocks, they don?t drop balls, they don?t miss tackles, they don?t seem to get flagged very often. My point is even though Saben gets his star power I still think he would be at or near the top in a completely equal talent league based on the perfection at which his teams play. It always boggles my mind that other teams cannot execute like bama does. There is something that he does that is different. Even different from other blue bloods Ohio state, Michigan, Texas? whatever.

Do you guys see that as well?
    He requires players to meet high standards and doesn't tolerate those who don't. Kinda reminds you of guys named Landry, Belichik, Lombardi/
    Believe it or not the best players want to play for guys like that.

vCash
    He's great at Bama and was very good at lsu.

At mich state he was:
    6-5-1
    6-6
    7-5
    6-6
    9-2

Maybe he got better as a coach as he aged. Or maybe he has better players than everybody else. Or maybe a combination of the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    He's great at Bama and was very good at lsu.

At mich state he was:
    6-5-1
    6-6
    7-5
    6-6
    9-2

Maybe he got better as a coach as he aged. Or maybe he has better players than everybody else. Or maybe a combination of the two.
    And remember he beat the crap out of Bama his final yr at MSU north.

vCash
    Leach preaches execution as well.

Saban may have more people on his staff to analyze every single play and make adjustments with the players.

vCash
    Had he stayed at LSU- he would have 6-7 Nattys as well. He was building Mich State into a power but having the chance to recruit the South took him next level
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I certainly believe Saban is a very good coach. However when you have your pick of 5*s. You pick the 5*s and 4s with higher IQ.

vCash
    Saban is great at building a program and recruiting to sustain a high level. He has more coaches and top talent than everyone else, as has already been mentioned. When you consider ALL THINGS, he's an elite coach. However, Saban has been out coached in game on plenty of occasions. Talent overcomes mistakes quite regularly.

vCash
    There is a lot of "correct" in this thread...

Saban, himself, was quoted as saying, [paraphrasing] "I'm not a great coach, but I'm a good recruiter." Due to that, he has the luxury of "processing" players that don't buy in on "the process"...

It's a machine, for sure.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Saban, himself, was quoted as saying, [paraphrasing] "I'm not a great coach, but I'm a good recruiter."
    He's been the best defensive coach or top 3 in college football for 20 years. Thats a great coach
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    He's been the best defensive coach or top 3 in college football for 20 years. Thats a great coach
    Just not quite as good as Les Miles, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Just not quite as good as Les Miles, right?

No.

vCash
    Saban has to have better talent than his opponents. He is in trouble if another team has equal talent.

vCash
    Saban lost to Croom. Wes Carroll was our QB. Do I need to repeat that?
    Last edited by HoopsDawg; 07-27-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Saban has to have better talent than his opponents. He is in trouble if another team has equal talent.
    I wouldn't say he's in trouble but outside of Georgia, anyone he loses to is an indictment on him and his on the field coaching ability considering how much more talent he has than everyone else. He was average in the NFL and would be above average but not dominant in CFB as a head coach at a program that doesn't recruit itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I wouldn't say he's in trouble but outside of Georgia, anyone he loses to is an indictment on him and his on the field coaching ability considering how much more talent he has than everyone else. He was average in the NFL and would be above average but not dominant in CFB as a head coach at a program that doesn't recruit itself.
    Poor talent - poor coach, good talent -good coach, great talent - great coach. Elementary.

vCash
    This thread went from "a lot correct" to "suspect"...

No.