Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solution to ?FIX? college football

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash

Solution to ?FIX? college football

Use a composite star ratings for freshman and transfers. ( maybe an average of several of the services that rate players)

Either
    1) set a limit on the # of ?stars? you can have in each recruiting class by limit on stars you can spend each year.
    2) example - each team Can spend 75 stars per class - however you like ( you may sign 25 three stars , or 15 five stars or any combo you want)

Or

1) limit the stars you can sign each class like this
    5 star - max 4 per class
    4 star - max 15 per class
    3 star - max 25 per class

That would make college football interesting and spread the talent a little more evenly.
    Last edited by cheewgumm; 07-20-2022 at 06:48 AM. Reason: #s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    Use a composite star ratings for freshman and transfers. ( maybe an average of several of the services that rate players)

Either
    1) set a limit on the # of ?stars? you can have in each recruiting class by limit on stars you can spend each year.
    2) example - each team Can spend 75 stars per class - however you like ( you may sign 25 three stars , or 15 five stars or any combo you want)

Or

5 star - max 4 per class

That would make college football interesting and spread the talent a little more evenly.
    compared to what the US Supreme Court just did to college sports this would sound like communism ... keep working on it Comrade because it sure needs fixing somehow .... In a more serious tone - I think the only thing that will bring parity would be to limit scholarships
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I loved what Leach said yesterday about it at SEC media days.

First of all, what we have now is not sustainable.

Then he said something like this:

Go up to any NFL player or any pro athlete and tell them this:

You are getting Unrestricted Free Agency. You can go anywhere you want to the highest bidder and there is no salary cap and watch his reaction.

vCash
    Sports leagues are different than normal
    Businesses. I know you?re being funny calling me comrade but look at the professional leagues.

Why do they have a draft? Competitive balance.

Without a draft there is no way to balance competitiveness in college. This is not communism or anything close to
    It. If you believe it is then there
    Should be no draft in pro sports.,,just let the Yankees sign who they want from all players.

Highest bidder wins. Capitalism?right?

vCash
    Sports leagues are different than normal
    Businesses. I know you?re being funny calling me comrade but look at the professional leagues.

Why do they have a draft? Competitive balance.

Without a draft there is no way to balance competitiveness in college. This is not communism or anything close to
    It. If you believe it is then there
    Should be no draft in pro sports.,,just let the Yankees sign who they want from all players.

Highest bidder wins. Capitalism?right?
    I was only being facetious ... I like the idea but no way will the courts allow this if the NCAA tried to implemented it... even though it would probably work
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    That won't work. It will piss off the haves and benefit the have nots, so no way that will ever get approved

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    compared to what the US Supreme Court just did to college sports this would sound like communism ... keep working on it Comrade because it sure needs fixing somehow .... In a more serious tone - I think the only thing that will bring parity would be to limit scholarships
    THIS would be a huge step in the right direction..........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    THIS would be a huge step in the right direction..........
    although I could see Big NIL deals for walk-ons to get around the limited schollies ..... parity seems impossible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    That won't work. It will piss off the haves and benefit the have nots, so no way that will ever get approved
    Yea, there is a reason most sports don't have a hard cap. The haves only want to give up enough to make sure they have opponents, preferably opponents weak enough that they can consistently stay in the top 10% just be being competent.

The real reason college sports won't get fixed is that it really is a unique animal. The Union CBA model doesn't really work b/c of how relatively short players' eligibility is. Need a legislative fix, but good luck on that. NCAA should have been pushing for this a long time ago but they were too busy getting fat and didn't want to upset the apple cart.

Need a federal law exempting college and high school athletic organizations from antitrust with respect to players. Also prohibit professional sports leagues from keeping out people (1) who are 18 and (a) have graduated or (b) obtained GED or (2) who are 19 at time of the draft. Then maybe put some sort of law in that effectively mandates that Division I, Division II, and Division III schools can't have the same governing body. Then you don't have any one college organization dominating college sports and you don't have the excuse that amateurs can't play pro. May also want to allow governing organizations to restrict college coaches pay so that you don't have coaches making milliosn while players are amateurs.

vCash
    I'd hate to be the guy that tells Saban he can't have his usual number of 5 stars.

vCash

Either

Or

5 star - max 4 per class

I do not expect anything like this happening. I do expect is something to happen in the next 2-5 years. What we have is not sustainable. We are just in hang on mode right now.

I fully expect something to change. There may be some new legislation to address anti-trust problems but that may take a few years. The P5 break away from the NCAA and make it's own rules. Leagues can set up transfer rules, you agree to them when you sign your Letter of Intent. These NIL deals though.. those things are out of the bag and aren't coming back. What could happen is the P5 can pay its players and set up salary caps on those. This would further separate the P5 from the G5. There is no law against paying players, that's is the NCAA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Need a federal law exempting college and high school athletic organizations from antitrust with respect to players. Also prohibit professional sports leagues from keeping out people (1) who are 18 and (a) have graduated or (b) obtained GED or (2) who are 19 at time of the draft. .
    I think this would a start in the right direction. There needs to be a path for the NFL to set up a minor league similar to MLB. Then the Supreme Court needs to back the ncaas definition of amateurism. Then college football will be amateur again. If someone feels college football isn't fair in any aspect, go the nfl league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    Since they are pros now, luxury tax on the haves...

vCash
    1. The NFL is not going to start a minor league. The NFL draft has become a huge spectacle and money-maker. Having a minors system would take away from that. Not to mention the huge costs with no monetary return. People hardly watch the USFL nobody would watch minor league football. They tried a minor league system with NFL Europe

2. They are not going to do anything that hurts the money flow. They dont really want parity. They want Alabama, Ohio State, and the other blue bloods at the end of the season battling it out. They want Kansas and Duke playing for the basketball title.

3. It's going to take years before anything is done. You cant put toothpaste back in the tube. We are looking at 10 years before something likely changes
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. The NFL is not going to start a minor league. The NFL draft has become a huge spectacle and money-maker. Having a minors system would take away from that. Not to mention the huge costs with no monetary return. People hardly watch the USFL nobody would watch minor league football. They tried a minor league system with NFL Europe

2. They are not going to do anything that hurts the money flow. They dont really want parity. They want Alabama, Ohio State, and the other blue bloods at the end of the season battling it out. They want Kansas and Duke playing for the basketball title.

3. It's going to take years before anything is done. You cant put toothpaste back in the tube. We are looking at 10 years before something likely changes
    This is the problem. Once the floodgates have opened it's very difficult to fix.

vCash

Either

Or

5 star - max 4 per class

Think bama wouldn't manipulate the stars? Saban IDs a target in the 10th grade, then pressures scouting services to underrate the recruit, just like coaches do during evaluations in little league/youth basketball/pee wee football (coaches would "encourage" their targets to put a little less effort into the evaluations - thus grading out lower). It's common and called sandbagging (at least 10 years ago it was common).

The only real was to ensure more more competition is to limit roster and recruiting class sizes. There needs to be hard number like say 65 or 70 (including walk ons/gray shirts, etc).
    Last edited by viverlibre; 07-20-2022 at 11:07 AM.

vCash
    A draft

vCash
    NIL cap and transfer restrictions. That's all it will take.

vCash
    Coach... I agree. Why should the nfl start a farm league. When someone else is already running one for them.

Hypothetical question. I gave a hypothetical answer. Truth of the matter is, as you said, it will be years before any of this adjusted.

vCash
    I understand the argument about manipulating the rankings but having multiple services rating and open discussion would limit that. Plus that would be a ton of work for marginal gains.

I don?t agree that limiting the rosters would change much. I get that limits the total this leaving 4 and 5 star guys off rosters so they have to go elsewhere. However Bama for example could still sit 20 five star guys.

The way I outlined is better.