Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSU Baseball Draft Thoughts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I get guys not wanting to come back.

Most of them have been to Omaha multiple times, won a National Championship and have left their mark on the program. And then this year had to have been absolutely frustrating and I'm sure they heard and dealt with fan complaints and things like that. And because of that Lemonis is putting almost every spot on the team up for grabs essentially and we're not done with the portal yet. Kam James for example- if he comes back he's going to have to compete with Alford for the third base job and then also fight in the outfield mix as well with Ledbetter, Dakota Jordan, Kellum Clark, and maybe even others. I think Kam would win a spot- but there is some degree of pressure also and not completely a given.
    Yes, Players leaving is what must be expected. Anyone staying past 3 years should never be expected, appreciated but not expected. You get drafted high enough after year 3, you gotta go. You may get drafted higher your senior year but they lowball you with signing bonus then because they know you can't go back to school. This stuff should be common knowledge but for some reason it has to be explained over and over.

We hit it just right with the shortened Covid draft to keep Tanner Allen and him going undrafted that year.

Make it clear, i know you know this. It's the ones complaining of guys leaving with eligibility left. That is the system in place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Yes, Players leaving is what must be expected. Anyone staying past 3 years should never be expected, appreciated but not expected. You get drafted high enough after year 3, you gotta go. You may get drafted higher your senior year but they lowball you with signing bonus then because they know you can't go back to school. This stuff should be common knowledge but for some reason it has to be explained over and over.

We hit it just right with the shortened Covid draft to keep Tanner Allen and him going undrafted that year.

Make it clear, i know you know this. It's the ones complaining of guys leaving with eligibility left. That is the system in place.
    Good points and I agree, as bad as I would love to see players stick around but making the "jump" to the next level is better to start early. It's extremely difficult to make a ML team, odds are low, also playing in the minors is pretty tough trying to make a living chasing one's dream. But to each their own as families should know best, not the "me included" message board posters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Curious as to what happened with Jackson Parker? He doesn't appear to have been drafted. Were there other issues with him?
    Homesick/girlfriend. Jack has never been anywhere but stringer surrounded by family and same friends forever, and local legend.. Happens to a lot of small town guys.

vCash
    My point tho is that this year is different because of C19 our 3 year guys have 5 years- not 4. So they still have leverage if they aren’t getting much of an offer
    Last edited by Coach34; 07-21-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    My point tho is that this year is different because of C19 our 3 year guus have 5 years- not 4. So they still have leverage if they aren?t getting much of an offer
    Exactly. I think some folks are forgetting about the covid year. I can understand if guys are just ready to move on but if you're drafted 11-20 why not comeback and try to improve your stock. If you don't improve you're likely to get same money next year. I do understand though if guys are just ready to move on but I think I'd take a shot at betting on myself to get better

vCash
    My point tho is that this year is different because of C19 our 3 year guus have 5 years- not 4. So they still have leverage if they aren?t getting much of an offer
    Some may have an extra year but if you get drafted at an acceptable place after year 3 you go. You are missing an important component. A players age. Once they get so old, you will not get drafted as high or get as much $$$. After year 3, you get drafted with the signing bonus you are looking to get, you go get your monies. No way do I advise someone to stay unless I have a reasonable expectation that they will make a lot more money and in most cases they will not. This is about that player's life at that point.

The only way Tanner Allen stayed another year even with the extra eligibility was because of the shortened draft. He wasn't drafted. Great for us, but to expect any of them to stay is wrong. If they chose to take their chance on having a "Great Year" after 3 years of not being great. Then that is our good fortune but never expect them to sacrifice their shot to get paid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Exactly. I think some folks are forgetting about the covid year. I can understand if guys are just ready to move on but if you're drafted 11-20 why not comeback and try to improve your stock. If you don't improve you're likely to get same money next year. I do understand though if guys are just ready to move on but I think I'd take a shot at betting on myself to get better
    Age plays a part, I think if you are 21 or younger maybe so, but the ML likes younger guys in the minors, covid or not they still are academically juniors or seniors. I just don't know if $100K is worth it, depends on what their future holds as far as careers.

Over the last few years, I have changed my thoughts on to go or stay, if your dream is playing in the big leagues then go. It isn't always about the money after a few rounds imo.

vCash
    Some may have an extra year but if you get drafted at an acceptable place after year 3 you go. You are missing an important component. A players age. Once they get so old, you will not get drafted as high or get as much $$$. After year 3, you get drafted with the signing bonus you are looking to get, you go get your monies. No way do I advise someone to stay unless I have a reasonable expectation that they will make a lot more money and in most cases they will not. This is about that player's life at that point.

The only way Tanner Allen stayed another year even with the extra eligibility was because of the shortened draft. He wasn't drafted. Great for us, but to expect any of them to stay is wrong. If they chose to take their chance on having a "Great Year" after 3 years of not being great. Then that is our good fortune but never expect them to sacrifice their shot to get paid.
    You read my mind Hot Rock, we have the exact same thoughts, LOL.

vCash
    as I said to C34 - A players age comes into play as well, MLB teams don't draft old college players as high or pay them big bonuses very often. After 3 years, unless you have had some sort of injury set back that prevented you from showing your abilities then you are who your play has shown who you are.

Do not expect guys to stick around passed year 3 no matter their eligibility. When they do, just accept your good fortune.

vCash
    as I said to C34 - A players age comes into play as well, MLB teams don't draft old college players as high or pay them big bonuses very often. After 3 years, unless you have had some sort of injury set back that prevented you from showing your abilities then you are who your play has shown who you are.

Do not expect guys to stick around passed year 3 no matter their eligibility. When they do, just accept your good fortune.
    Sure age comes into play but you're not getting big money drafted 11-20, just not. One more year isn't going to make a difference in bonus money at this level, talk to some scouts they'll tell you the same. Now as I said if guys are ready to go give it a shot I understand completely. But if you don't think guys can improve their draft stock in one year there are countless cases where that's happened. The average signing bonus last year for 11-20 was 75k with many getting 20-30k, after taxes that's nothing, once again I understand if a guy wants to leave but I'd give it another year.

vCash
    Sure age comes into play but you're not getting big money drafted 11-20, just not. One more year isn't going to make a difference in bonus money at this level, talk to some scouts they'll tell you the same. Now as I said if guys are ready to go give it a shot I understand completely. But if you don't think guys can improve their draft stock in one year there are countless cases where that's happened. The average signing bonus last year for 11-20 was 75k with many getting 20-30k, after taxes that's nothing, once again I understand if a guy wants to leave but I'd give it another year.
    Exactly. Hunt can get 80K now or prove himself to be a good SEC SP and bump it to 400-500K next year....maybe more. Thats a huge difference especially considering guys in the minors make shit. Whats the worst that happens- he gets drafted next summer and offered 80K again?

vCash
    Exactly. Hunt can get 80K now or prove himself to be a good SEC SP and bump it to 400-500K next year....maybe more. Thats a huge difference especially considering guys in the minors make shit. Whats the worst that happens- he gets drafted next summer and offered 80K again?
    Makes a lot of sense for Hunt to return. If he were my son it would take at least 300k for him to sign now. He was great in the preseason for us.

vCash
    Sometimes you have to face reality, I wish Hunt all the best and anyone who plays for Msu.

vCash
    So who are the instant impact candidates and what position?

Holcombe is the power closer?

Loftin can be anything he is ready for.

Highfill is already a grown man. Cheese has excellent material to work with.

Dakota Johnson is he baseball 1st or Football 1st?

Cijntje a recruit this big (34 overall) has to have starter ambition, this is a JT Ginn profile recruit

So the 2023 starter candidates are:

Cade, Skenes, Cijntje, Loftin, Holcombe, and Gartman

This a good starting position for competition and Depth. I like the volume, just rotate the 3 hottest arms and let people rest as needed.

vCash
    Dakota isn't playing football.

vCash
    Holcombe's role is TBD since Nixon came from Texas to play at the Dude.

vCash

I think age used to come into play, but gutting the minors changes things. Teams can let guys go 4 years, draft them at less money, stash them in AA instead of rookie ball or low A and lessen their overall investment in players. It's why you saw a shit ton more college guys drafted this year. You are going to see a lot more guys like Cole Gordon and RJ Yeager than you used to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    So who are the instant impact candidates and what position?

Holcombe is the power closer?

Loftin can be anything he is ready for.

Highfill is already a grown man. Cheese has excellent material to work with.

Dakota Johnson is he baseball 1st or Football 1st?

Cijntje a recruit this big (34 overall) has to have starter ambition, this is a JT Ginn profile recruit

So the 2023 starter candidates are:

Cade, Skenes, Cijntje, Loftin, Holcombe, and Gartman

This a good starting position for competition and Depth. I like the volume, just rotate the 3 hottest arms and let people rest as needed.
    Instant Impact: Nixon, Dohm, Gartman, Holcombe as pitchers will contribute right away. Nixon as closer, Holcome as set up man. Ledbetter will start in the OF and Larry will start at 2B.

Loftin will get some midweek work. I see him maybe being a matchup guy on weekends as the season matures if he develops. It's really tough as a true freshman.

Highfill is probably better than anyone we can get in the portal so he will have to start if Hancock moves on.

Dakota is baseball only. Like Loftin, it will be an adjustment.

vCash
    Former player I know thinks Loftin will compete for the Sunday job this Fall. Says he is the best Sr he has seen in awhile

Based on what I'm hearing- I wouldnt get any hopes up on getting Skenes either

vCash
    Highfill is going to be a good player. But, if he starts every game there are going to be some people really upset and he will get crucified for not being Jake magnum. It's going to take a minute for him at the plate. He is an elite elite athlete. Again, I think he's going to be good. But we have to get a catcher from the portal. We only have 2 on the roster and both are freahmen. =disaster.