Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MSU Baseball Draft Thoughts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Former player I know thinks Loftin will compete for the Sunday job this Fall. Says he is the best Sr he has seen in awhile

Based on what I'm hearing- I wouldnt get any hopes up on getting Skenes either
    Yeah, Skenes is from California so Oregon St. makes a lot of sense. LSU losing the usm pitcher to Florida might make them push harder and free up more money for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Yeah, Skenes is from California so Oregon St. makes a lot of sense. LSU losing the usm pitcher to Florida might make them push harder and free up more money for him.
    Skenes is choosing between us, UPig, LSU, Vandy, Oregon St and others. We very rarely win those types of battles.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Exactly. Hunt can get 80K now or prove himself to be a good SEC SP and bump it to 400-500K next year....maybe more. Thats a huge difference especially considering guys in the minors make shit. Whats the worst that happens- he gets drafted next summer and offered 80K again?
    Yea, and 80K under Biden is only about what 40K was 2 years ago. Point being, it ain't what it used to be and that doesn't even consider taxes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    LSU losing the usm pitcher to Florida might make them push harder and free up more money for him.
    Oh and to show where baseball is getting in NIL? Rumor of the day is Flo-Rida paid 500K NIL to the USM pitcher to pull him and beat LSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think age used to come into play, but gutting the minors changes things. Teams can let guys go 4 years, draft them at less money, stash them in AA instead of rookie ball or low A and lessen their overall investment in players. It's why you saw a shit ton more college guys drafted this year. You are going to see a lot more guys like Cole Gordon and RJ Yeager than you used to.
    Exactly! Things have changed.

vCash
    Former player I know thinks Loftin will compete for the Sunday job this Fall. Says he is the best Sr he has seen in awhile

Loftin got a high ceiling but his command needs work bad. Gets behind in counts to often. Not a knock on him because he's a young power guy and they tend to be that way, but I don't know if he's gonna be an sec rotation guy next spring. I hope he turns into the next Eric Dubose though and like I said high high ceiling. Tapper is a more polished pitcher at this point and commands 3 pitches well but he doesn't have near the ceiling as Loftin
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 07-21-2022 at 10:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Loftin got a high ceiling but his command needs work bad.
    No worries, Fox will get that fixed up pronto.**

vCash
    Loftin got a high ceiling but his command needs work bad. Gets behind in counts to be often. Not a knock on him because he's a young power guy and they tend to be that way, but I don't know if he's gonna be an sec rotation guy next spring. I hope he turns into the next Eric Dubose though and like I said high high ceiling. Tapper is a more polished pitcher at this point and commands 3 pitches well but he doesn't have near the ceiling as Loftin

Spot on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Spot on.
    I am not shitting on you guys opinions- but one of my very good friends that is a former player thinks Loftin will be the Sunday starter or at worst our midweek guy. Says he wasnt a 2nd rounder because they were firm on 1st round money. We shall see

vCash
    I am not shitting on you guys opinions- but one of my very good friends that is a former player thinks Loftin will be the Sunday starter or at worst our midweek guy. Says he wasnt a 2nd rounder because they were firm on 1st round money. We shall see
    Loftin definitely has the potential to be a stud and I hope he turns into one by the spring. His command problems are a concern to me but I believe before he leaves here he'll be a first rounder. I see him being the midweek guy next year but I hope you're right and he turns into an sec rotation guy instead.

vCash
    We have a fallback plan if Skenes does not work out. We won?t be left hanging, ala Moseley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    So who are the instant impact candidates and what position?

Holcombe is the power closer?

Loftin can be anything he is ready for.

Highfill is already a grown man. Cheese has excellent material to work with.

Dakota Johnson is he baseball 1st or Football 1st?

Cijntje a recruit this big (34 overall) has to have starter ambition, this is a JT Ginn profile recruit

So the 2023 starter candidates are:

Cade, Skenes, Cijntje, Loftin, Holcombe, and Gartman

This a good starting position for competition and Depth. I like the volume, just rotate the 3 hottest arms and let people rest as needed.
    We need Holcombe to take a rotation spot even if it's midweek. We've had too many high end JUCO's never pan out.

Dakota Jordan is baseball only.

I don't have any expectations for Clijinte or Loftin as of now. I'm glad to have both and they might be in the rotation but they also may be guys that we pitch midweek against JSU. They'll definitely be rotation guys in the future. Clijinte is no where near JT Ginn territory.

As far as instant impact? Probably Highfill and Jordan. But I also don't think Lemonis is completely relying on them.

We're about to have a big portal weekend coming up. I'm not too worried about Skenes because I think we're going to make sure we fill our holes and then if he chooses us then that's gravy on top of everything else.

vCash
    Loftin definitely has the potential to be a stud and I hope he turns into one by the spring. His command problems are a concern to me but I believe before he leaves here he'll be a first rounder. I see him being the midweek guy next year but I hope you're right and he turns into an sec rotation guy instead.
    I heard Loftin struggled some with command in the playoffs. I didn't see any of their games so maybe I misheard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I heard Loftin struggled some with command in the playoffs. I didn't see any of their games so maybe I misheard.
    I watched him pitch against nwr in state championship and they hammered him because he kept falling behind in the counts. Saw him a couple of times and
    he did same thing but he was facing inferior teams and could overcome it. He couldn't against nwr. But he does have a very high ceiling the stuff is definitely there, just has to harness it.

vCash
    I watched him pitch against nwr in state championship and they hammered him because he kept falling behind in the counts. Saw him a couple of times and
    he did same thing but he was facing inferior teams and could overcome it. He couldn't against nwr. But he does have a very high ceiling the stuff is definitely there, just has to harness it.
    May have been trying to do too much too trying to impress scouts. Pitchers that try to strike out everyone tend to get behind in the count. Pitching is just so counterintuitive like that. Best high school pitcher out of Mississippi I ever saw was Kirk Presley probably followed by Chris Stratton.

vCash
    Skenes is choosing between us, UPig, LSU, Vandy, Oregon St and others. We very rarely win those types of battles.
    Well, if that's the case then I say our chances of getting him have severely diminished........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We need Holcombe to take a rotation spot even if it's midweek. We've had too many high end JUCO's never pan out.

Dakota Jordan is baseball only.

I don't have any expectations for Clijinte or Loftin as of now. I'm glad to have both and they might be in the rotation but they also may be guys that we pitch midweek against JSU. They'll definitely be rotation guys in the future. Clijinte is no where near JT Ginn territory.

As far as instant impact? Probably Highfill and Jordan. But I also don't think Lemonis is completely relying on them.

We're about to have a big portal weekend coming up. I'm not too worried about Skenes because I think we're going to make sure we fill our holes and then if he chooses us then that's gravy on top of everything else.
    #34 overall recruit, that is a number range MSU has very few players in. Ginn was a 20-something. Hoglund was 40-something. Cole Wilcox was awesome at UGA when not injured. Guys in that range are often 1st or 2nd in their last draft. A few guys are busts like Derek Diamond, still drafted in a single-digit round.

vCash
    The big portal weekend seemed to be overhyped by the 247 guys. We had one transfer on campus yesterday and might add another today.

But baseball recruiting is more tight lipped than other sports, so maybe there's more