Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So let's see on baseball.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I certainly hope thats not true. I think it would be a decision he will regret the rest of his life starting about 5 years from now. He has the rest of his life to go work at a job day after day after day after day. While the demands of being a college athlete are high- so are the rewards. Never having the crowd cheer for you and scream your name again becomes something you miss very much, especially the farther you get away from it.

Not to mention coming back and playing for a winning team beats going out on a losing team.
    Amen to this! All true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Amen to this! All true.
    Maybe he is burned out, it happens more than many think. He was one of those can't miss stars according to Polk way back. Polk discovered Luke when he was 8th gradr, I listen to Polk a few years back talking about Luke and how he was shocked to find out he was 14 years old.

I think it's a lot more to all this than what many of us don't know about certain kids and family situations. Again, I'm all in for kids staying in school and getting an education.

Lastly, this has nothing to anyone or any player, but way back when while I was Coaching, my dream was to be a college basketball coach. Well, I was for two years, loved it but things changed rapidly in one month right after the season. I was offered a job I couldn't refuse mostly because of my financial situation and being divorced. I never will forget my friends and especially my mother shocked when I announced I was leaving the coaching profession. It took years for me to get it out of my system, fact is I was offered two different High School jobs several years ago, when we talked money, I couldn't turn back and start all over. I was a driven person, but things change for a reason. Sorry to bore you guys with this, just speaking generally how things aren't always what you dream or want.

vCash
    Everybody gets delt a hand how you play it is your business ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Maybe he is burned out, it happens more than many think. He was one of those can't miss stars according to Polk way back. Polk discovered Luke when he was 8th gradr, I listen to Polk a few years back talking about Luke and how he was shocked to find out he was 14 years old.

I think it's a lot more to all this than what many of us don't know about certain kids and family situations. Again, I'm all in for kids staying in school and getting an education.

Lastly, this has nothing to anyone or any player, but way back when while I was Coaching, my dream was to be a college basketball coach. Well, I was for two years, loved it but things changed rapidly in one month right after the season. I was offered a job I couldn't refuse mostly because of my financial situation and being divorced. I never will forget my friends and especially my mother shocked when I announced I was leaving the coaching profession. It took years for me to get it out of my system, fact is I was offered two different High School jobs several years ago, when we talked money, I couldn't turn back and start all over. I was a driven person, but things change for a reason. Sorry to bore you guys with this, just speaking generally how things aren't always what you dream or want.
    I hear ya Base. Similar happened to me. Got married needed more money and had to give up the coaching dream. Luckily I got to get into the travel/showcase coaching business and had a blast but I sure regret I didn't continue doing it for a living when I was younger. That being said I've had a good life.

I don't blame any of these players for doing what they think is best for them. I've known a lot of guys over the years though that regret giving up to soon. You can only wear the uniform so long and I say wear it for as long as you can. I wish I could play the game again. I appreciate all the guys that have worn the maroon and white abs wish them the very best in life not just baseball. I hope they all have wonderful and successful lives and families.

vCash
    I don't blame any of these players for doing what they think is best for them. I've known a lot of guys over the years though that regret giving up to soon. You can only wear the uniform so long and I say wear it for as long as you can. I wish I could play the game again.
    Same here. I got offended out of juco because I was asked to walk-on instead of given some level of scholly. I wish I had played longer and not given up my time. Once that door closes- it's done. Luke better understand that
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Same here. I got offended out of juco because I was asked to walk-on instead of given some level of scholly. I wish I had played longer and not given up my time. Once that door closes- it's done. Luke better understand that
    100%, right there with ya!

vCash
    I hear ya Base. Similar happened to me. Got married needed more money and had to give up the coaching dream. Luckily I got to get into the travel/showcase coaching business and had a blast but I sure regret I didn't continue doing it for a living when I was younger. That being said I've had a good life.

I don't blame any of these players for doing what they think is best for them. I've known a lot of guys over the years though that regret giving up to soon. You can only wear the uniform so long and I say wear it for as long as you can. I wish I could play the game again. I appreciate all the guys that have worn the maroon and white abs wish them the very best in life not just baseball. I hope they all have wonderful and successful lives and families.
    I understand where u r coming from about players not giving up. U know way more than I on baseball and I appreciate your input. Once a coach, always a coach, it never goes away and most understand athletes much better than most fans. Not a knock to anyone.

vCash
    Good insight 34, u also having a Coaching career understand sports as well. None of us are always right but most coaches I know can make decisions quickly during the action.
    U also know more bout baseball than I but I know sports, LOL.

vCash
    It sure does seem like MSU has more than it's fair share of players that "just get tired of playing" or "are just burned out" or "just want to move on" in whatever sport. I know that happens but most people that are able to play sports competitively usually tend to play as long as they possibly can.

There aren't very many people that can go far in baseball without having some degree of passion for it.

vCash
    Out of the 4 I would like to have Hunt back the most. The others clearly did not put the work in after the natty to be what we needed them to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Out of the 4 I would like to have Hunt back the most. The others clearly did not put the work in after the natty to be what we needed them to be.
    I don't agree with that at all. If anything they were trying too hard at times. We had too many one run losses to be a team that was complacent. More about injuries and our coaches keeping promises to players who committed to other coaches. We have to figure out why we had so many injuries and be a lot more ruthless with our recruiting. Which I know the recruiting part is happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't agree with that at all. If anything they were trying too hard at times. We had too many one run losses to be a team that was complacent. More about injuries and our coaches keeping promises to players who committed to other coaches. We have to figure out why we had so many injuries and be a lot more ruthless with our recruiting. Which I know the recruiting part is happening.
    I was talking specifically about the position players. It was very obvious to me that we had a fat and happy offseason considering that we had maybe 1 or 2 every day players that improved. The rest got worse. Not a lot of leadership in that group of guys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I was talking specifically about the position players. It was very obvious to me that we had a fat and happy offseason considering that we had maybe 1 or 2 every day players that improved. The rest got worse. Not a lot of leadership in that group of guys
    Kam raised his average 30 points and had the same number of HR this regular season as he did last regular season, and was much better defensively.

Lane improved by like 30 points.

Cumbest numbers were better with a much larger sample size.

Luke average was up but not power.

Really just LT that dropped off offensively.

vCash
    2021 Team O Stats:

Avg .278
    OBP .375
    Runs/Game 7.0
    XBH's- 210 (in 68 games)
    K's/Game- 6.69
    BB's/Game- 4.5

2022 Team O Stats:

Avg- .277
    OBP- .374
    Runs/Game- 6.94
    XBH's- 196 (in 56 games)
    K's/Game- 8.23
    BB's/Game- 4.52

Literally no change in the offensive numbers except a few more K's at the plate offset by a higher rate of XBH's. Our problem was not offense
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Kam raised his average 30 points and had the same number of HR this regular season as he did last regular season, and was much better defensively.

I hate it when facts come into play......

vCash

This all day. You can't lose the number of arms we lost during the season and expect to be contender, doesn't happen at any level. As C34 said offense wasn't our problem.

vCash
    Yeah they were all great who am I kidding its not like we lost multiple games bc we couldnt score with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. If yall think those players were as good as they were a year ago then I cant help you. I havent blamed the pitching never have. But none of those guys were ready to be the guy. Thus you get what we got a year ago. Stats or no stats

vCash
    Those players were better. Minus LT.

The problem was we didn't have a TA who was won player of the year in the sec and was the most clutch player in the league (probably America). Or even a Rowdey. Give me those two and a healthy sims, augur, and Simmons and we're back in Omaha.

vCash
    Those players were better. Minus LT.

The problem was we didn't have a TA who was won player of the year in the sec and was the most clutch player in the league (probably America). Or even a Rowdey. Give me those two and a healthy sims, augur, and Simmons and we're back in Omaha.
    I can't remember our player last year that Tim Corbin raved about, saying something like, "you can't get him out."

vCash
    Anyone got a 21 to 22 stat comparison of hitting with runners in scoring position. Interested, thanks.