Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So let's see on baseball.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Yeah they were all great who am I kidding its not like we lost multiple games bc we couldnt score with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. If yall think those players were as good as they were a year ago then I cant help you. I havent blamed the pitching never have. But none of those guys were ready to be the guy. Thus you get what we got a year ago. Stats or no stats
    We blew 12 games when we had the lead in the 7th inning or later. That's pitching. When you have the lead you have to close that's the way baseball works and our average with risp was almost identical to year before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    We blew 12 games when we had the lead in the 7th inning or later. That's pitching. When you have the lead you have to close that's the way baseball works and our average with risp was almost identical to year before.
    I guess our risp stuck out like a sore thumb because with our bullpen, we knew no late inning lead was safe. I went to a lot of games and from the 7th on felt like the movie, "Groundhog Day".

vCash
    Obviously adding Skenes bumps us up another tier, but even if we don't add him, we should be better on the mound next year based solely on having more options.

RHP: Cade Smith, Landon Gartman, Nate Dohm, Aaron Nixon, Colby Holcombe, Loo Cijinte (BHP), Logan Forsythe, Will Gibbs, possibly KC Hunt, possibly Brandon Smith, possibly Parker Stinnett

LHP: Pico Kohn, Cole Cheatham, Bradley Loftin, Loo Cijinte (BHP), Brock Tapper, Tyler Davis (VCU transfer on campus right now), Max Miller, Graham Yntema

There's not a lot of experience in that group, but it beats having about 6 arms to depend on like we had this past year.

Need all the "possibly's" to come back, add Skenes, the VCU transfer, and another lefty for me to feel confident though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    I can't remember our player last year that Tim Corbin raved about, saying something like, "you can't get him out."
    Hancock.

"The at bat doesn't even start against that guy until he has two strikes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Hancock.

"The at bat doesn't even start against that guy until he has two strikes"
    Although I watch all the games, attend several and even the CWS, I'm not knowledgeable about baseball, was he not as good this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Although I watch all the games, attend several and even the CWS, I'm not knowledgeable about baseball, was he not as good this year?
    Yes. His average, on base percentage, and slugging he were all higher this year than 2021.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I guess our risp stuck out like a sore thumb because with our bullpen, we knew no late inning lead was safe. I went to a lot of games and from the 7th on felt like the movie, "Groundhog Day".
    Yep you nailed it. 2021 and 2022 our risp was almost identical we were slightly worse in 2022 with runners on third and less than 2 outs getting the run in. Just think even if we go 8-4 in those 12 games we blew the lead(67% close), we wind up 34-22 and we're in the post season and 67% is reasonable. We had 1 whole save in sec play! The bullpen cost us and that's because of the injuries and the need to move PJ and Brandon out of the pen to the rotation. That's not even counting losing arguably the best pitcher in the country.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 07-23-2022 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep you nailed it. 2021 and 2022 our risp was almost identical we were slightly worse in 2022 with runners on third and less than 2 outs getting the run in. Just think even if we go 8-4 in those 12 games we blew the lead(75% close), we wind up 34-22 and we're in the post season and 75% is reasonable. We had 1 whole save in sec play! The bullpen cost us and that's because of the injuries and the need to move PJ and Brandon out of the pen to the rotation. That's not even counting losing arguably the best pitcher in the country.
    Yep. Yep. Yep.

vCash
    Right now we are in a tricky spot. Obviously I think we are happy with what we?ve brought in from the portal, but there are still a couple of BIG holes. We need another front line starter, hope with Skenes seems to be fading a bit and Watts-Brown did not really reciprocate any return interest. The other is another corner outfielder. Losing Knight hurt, and I do not really know what happened with Groff but it seems that either he has moved off us or we moved off him. If we continue to strike out at that position we may have to roll with Bryce Chance. And while he is a great bat, he does not have the best arm to be playing in the outfield.

The staff has worked their ass off this summer, but we need to close this last month and go from a team who should be in a regional to a team that is hosting a regional. We built that stadium for June, not April.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Right now we are in a tricky spot. Obviously I think we are happy with what we?ve brought in from the portal, but there are still a couple of BIG holes. We need another front line starter, hope with Skenes seems to be fading a bit and Watts-Brown did not really reciprocate any return interest. The other is another corner outfielder. Losing Knight hurt, and I do not really know what happened with Groff but it seems that either he has moved off us or we moved off him. If we continue to strike out at that position we may have to roll with Bryce Chance. And while he is a great bat, he does not have the best arm to be playing in the outfield.

The staff has worked their ass off this summer, but we need to close this last month and go from a team who should be in a regional to a team that is hosting a regional. We built that stadium for June, not April.
    Is the deal with Groff that we can't really guarantee a starting spot anymore with what we've already brought in?

vCash
    One of the best statements ever made about DNF... EVER!!! Rep given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Is the deal with Groff that we can't really guarantee a starting spot anymore with what we've already brought in?
    I wish I could tell you. I was told before the season ended he was entering the portal and we were getting him. It was not going to be a long process and he would play either CF or LF for us. Then it was he wanted to see what his draft options were but that if he was not taken high enough we still had him. I think the Knight stuff kind of pissed him off. No knowledge of that, but reading between the lines it seems like he was under the impression that we were holding him a spot and then went out and got Knight and Ledbetter. Which, I get where he is coming from but we have to build a team. We cannot be held hostage until school starts waiting for the draft process to play out. We had to fill those positions with what was available at the time.

I still think there is a chance we get him, but way less confidence than I have been in a long time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    2021 Team O Stats:

Avg .278
    OBP .375
    Runs/Game 7.0
    XBH's- 210 (in 68 games)
    K's/Game- 6.69
    BB's/Game- 4.5

2022 Team O Stats:

Avg- .277
    OBP- .374
    Runs/Game- 6.94
    XBH's- 196 (in 56 games)
    K's/Game- 8.23
    BB's/Game- 4.52

Literally no change in the offensive numbers except a few more K's at the plate offset by a higher rate of XBH's. Our problem was not offense
    Pitching, and clutch hitting. Those were the differences. Rowdy and TA were clutch, and it was infectious. It appeared no one on this year's team wanted to take the leadership mantle (on offense).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    I wish I could tell you. I was told before the season ended he was entering the portal and we were getting him. It was not going to be a long process and he would play either CF or LF for us. Then it was he wanted to see what his draft options were but that if he was not taken high enough we still had him. I think the Knight stuff kind of pissed him off. No knowledge of that, but reading between the lines it seems like he was under the impression that we were holding him a spot and then went out and got Knight and Ledbetter...
    The M over S requires a "team-first" mentality, and if Grof wanted to be part of MS, he needed to make his decision faster than he did.

Love the Ledbetter and Knight transfers (even with Knight drafted by MLB). But now, I'm ready to roll with Dakota Jordan and see if he can become the Alpha dog we missed in 2022 (ie, no Mangum, no TA, no Rooker on this past year's team). A single year from Grof will arguably only delay (and cost us to lose a year) from Dakota at the expense of prolonging a 5th-year, non-drafted player's career.

vCash
    Well? we aren?t getting either.

Knight signed with the Mariners today for $50k ($100k below slot value)and Groff committed to Ole Miss.

Hopefully Ledbetter works out and some of these freshman step up.
    Last edited by Patrick Tibbons; 07-24-2022 at 05:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tibbons View Post

Knight signed with the Mariners today for $50k ($100k below slot value)and Groff committed to Ole Miss.

Hopefully Ledbetter works out and some of these freshman step up.
    https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status...178169862?s=21

Ledbetter is having a helluva summer
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status...178169862?s=21

Ledbetter is having a helluva summer
    Ledbetter is really good. I expect him to have a big year for us.

vCash
    Just landed a LHP - Tyler Davis, VCU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tibbons View Post

The DNF effect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Just landed a LHP - Tyler Davis, VCU
    Underrated pitcher. This guy knows how to pitch. Comes right at hitters, doesn't nibble and doesn't walk people. Great command and gets outs.